Windows 8 Beta

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Anyone gave it a try?

I took a look at it last weekend and I was a bit disappointed. I don't understand all the big deal around Metro and the removal of the Start Menu, it just doesn't feel right. Metro is cluttered on a desktop computer, I can't imagine using that kind of interface in a business environment, it doesn't make any sense.

The same goes with the now gone Start Menu, especially since you now have to start a bunch of programs through Metro. The funniest thing is that Metro is just an interface over Windows Explorer. Which means your desktop and the "classic" Windows interface is still under that Metro thing. I thought they removing Windows Explorer and that they were to replace it with Metro. Not pimp Metro on top of it! lol

Did you have a chance to take a look at it?

ZeoEmeraude

I haven't sampled it yet....but I may. Just knowing that the Start Menu is going to possibly be removed turns me off on the OS. As with any new operating system, there are going to be plenty of bugs. Best wait a year or so to be sure. If you need a friendly reminder.....remember Vista.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
It's pretty hard to forget Vista isn't it?

I assume that they are going to make massive changes between now and the final release, like in the previous versions. Vista was supposed to have big new features. In the end, all the new things were abandoned during development and Microsoft released one mess of an OS. I hope it's not going to be that way with W8, but this Beta seems to be kind of a good start towards it.

ZeoEmeraude

Well, it is just in Beta.....but who can say. I was hyped about Vista when it was released, and I almost bought it...until I started seeing how buggy it was. Personally, I think XP is still the most stable of Microsoft's OS. I use Windows 7 on occasion, but it's not for me. I actually like XP better because as a hardcore gamer, it is super reliable with most programs. But time will tell with Windows 8.....in maybe two years from now.......if only John Titor could have warned us about Vista!

peter449

I am quite happy with my current windows 7. But it would be better if the new windows consumes less memory and CPU load.