World's Oldest Person Dies at 119 After Sharing Tips for Long Life

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
The world’s oldest person, a 119-year-old woman from Japan named Kane Tanaka, has died.

Her death was announced by the Japanese public broadcaster NHK.

Ms Tanaka was born on January 2, 1903 - the year of the Wright Brothers' first controlled flight of their motor-driven aeroplane.

She was confirmed by Guinness World Records in 2019 as the oldest living person.

Tanaka died of old age at a hospital in Fukuoka city, western Japan, on Tuesday April 19.

During her life, she had been partial to chocolate and fizzy drinks, NHK said.

Japan has a dwindling and rapidly ageing population. As of last September, the country had 86,510 centenarians, and nine out of every 10 were women.

Despite Tanaka’s age, she typically woke up at 6am and was still learning, often studying subjects like maths during her afternoons. She also loved playing the classic board game Othello and had become an expert at the game, often beating nursing home staff.

Tanaka was confirmed as the oldest person alive on January 30, 2019, (when she was 116 years 28 days) with her loved ones and the mayor present for the occasion.

She was the seventh child of Kumakichi and Kuma Ota, had married Hideo Tanaka on January 6, 1922, four days after turning 19.

Read more: World's oldest person Kane Tanaka dies aged 119 after sharing tips for long life

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That's an incredibly long life!

I'm 34 and I feel that time goes by so quickly compared to when I was in my 20s, I feel lost and helpless. Imagine after a century. A year must feel like a week. For some reason, it scares me to think about it.

I'm happy for her, that she was still able to do stuff and have a good time despite her very old age.

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
I don't think I'd want to live that long... Imagine all your loved ones dying, you'd likely outlive your own children. :( I'm always fascinated by these old-timers though. Incredible to live so long!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
At some point, I imagine (actually I can't) that you end up feeling alone. I mean, she probably outlived some of her siblings by something like 50 to 100% So basically, most of the people she knew, are dead of old age. No one remains except her. That scares me, somehow.

She's double the age of a 60-year-old person. And she's 50% older than an 80-year-old person... Baffling.