WOW!

iooqxpooi

WOW!

I have just proved that anything divided by 0 is infinity!

x=y/0
y=0

thus x=0/0
x=infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaryP

WOW!

I have just proved that anything divided by 0 is infinity!

uh, yeah. I learned that back in grade school. Congratulations on "proving it" for yourself.

Cary

iooqxpooi

WOW!

I've heard that told to me before, just that I didn't believe it. I was thinking of that when I heard that mass needed to be infinity to travel at c. I was thinking of mass/0, and I found that anything divided by 0 is infinity. Sorry if you don't approve or anything. Maybe I shouldn't state these small and useless things on these forums anymore. :-\

Phoenix

WOW!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DivisionbyZero.html
Division by Zero

Division by zero is the operation of taking the quotient of any number x and 0, i.e.,
d2img1467.gif
. The uniqueness of division breaks down when dividing by zero, since the product
d2img1468.gif
is the same for any y, so y cannot be recovered by inverting the process of multiplication. 0 is the only number with this property and, as a result, division by zero is undefined for real numbers and can produce a fatal condition called a \"division by zero error\" in computer programs.

To the persistent but misguided reader who insists on asking \"What happens if I do divide by zero,\" Derbyshire (2004, p. 36) provides the slightly flippant but firm and concise response, \"You can't. It's against the rules.\" Even in fields other than the real numbers, division is never allowed (Derbyshire 2004, p. 266).

There are, however, contexts in which division by zero can be considered as defined. For example, division by zero
d2img1469.gif
for
d2img1470.gif
in the extended complex plane C-Star is defined to be a quantity known as complex infinity. This definition expresses the fact that, for
d2img1471.gif
d2img1472.gif
(i.e., complex infinity). However, even though the formal statement
d2img1473.gif
is permitted in C-Star, note that this does not mean that
d2img1474.gif
. Zero does not have a multiplicative inverse under any circumstances.

Although division by zero is not defined for reals, limits involving division by a real quantity x which approaches zero may in fact be well defined. For example,

d2img1475.gif

Of course, such limits may also approach infinity,
d2img1476.gif

iooqxpooi

WOW!

I know this, but I said at camp that 0/0 is infinity, which I strongly believe. Anyway, it turns out to be infinity if what I say is correct.

iooqxpooi

WOW!

And it isn't 1=0 x infinity, infinity= 0 x infinity. :-\ I guess I am wrong again, since it should be undefined = 0 x infinity.

CaryP

WOW!

Originally posted by iooqxpooi@Sep 16 2004, 11:36 AM
I've heard that told to me before, just that I didn't believe it. I was thinking of that when I heard that mass needed to be infinity to travel at c. I was thinking of mass/0, and I found that anything divided by 0 is infinity. Sorry if you don't approve or anything. Maybe I shouldn't state these small and useless things on these forums anymore. :-\

uh iooqxpooi,

I was complimenting you on proving the theory for yourself, rather than just accept what you're told, like I did.. I wasn't showing any disapproval whatsoever. Try not to be so sensitive bucko. I'm on your side so to speak. I just don't always understand what you write. Maybe I should keep my compliments and comments to myself so you don't get so offended. Peace out amigo.

Cary

iooqxpooi

WOW!

Sorry...I just was afraid that I would do something dumb because I felt a bit angry at something else...And if you kept your comments to yourself, this would be quite a useless forum. So don't. ;)

Phoenix

WOW!

Originally posted by iooqxpooi@Sep 16 2004, 10:43 AM
(well not all of it, I don't know what lim is...)
lim is limit, it is what a function approaches as you approach a number.

Lets say you had a function

f(x)= x + 1

and you wanted to find the limit of the function as it approached 1.

You would take values of x that are close to one.
x={1.1,1.01,1.001,1.0001}
if you put them in the above function you would get

f(1.1)=1.1+1=2.1
f(1.01)=1.01+1=2.01
f(1.001)=1.001+1=2.001
f(1.0001)=1.0001+1=2.0001

thus as x -> 1 the limit of f[x] approaches 2 for the function I gave as an example.