Yahoo Will Reportedly Launch A YouTube Rival This Summer

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yahoo is reportedly unveiling a YouTube rival this summer.
Yahoo's service will offer more generous revenue-sharing deals for creators, AdAge reports.

Google's YouTube takes 45% of ad revenue, but Yahoo is expected to offer a split that tips more in favor of creators.

Yahoo intended to unveil the new service in April, but contract issues ultimately delayed the the launch. One point of contention was around content ownership. Early drafts of the contract gave a video's ownership rights to Yahoo.

Similar to YouTube, Yahoo video creators will be able to have their own channels. Yahoo's video player will also be embeddable on other sites.

Those Yahoo creators who sign a contract will also get a publishing dashboard so that they can distribute across Yahoo properties like its home page, as well as blogging service Tumblr.

Source:
Yahoo YouTube Rival - Business Insider

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I have serious doubts that Yahoo stands a chance against Youtube.

What do you think?

Khaos

where the wild things are
Remember back in the day when Yahoo was a credible search engine, back before Google even began? This was back when AOL was still relevant with their installation programs and 7 day trial CD's they flung at just about everyone. Speaking of which, I think I have a few lying about somewhere.

20 something years ago, it would have worked great. Because both businesses were at their peak, they had hundreds of thousands of subscribers. But now with Google and Microsoft pumping things out, AOL and Yahoo stay rather undetected and invisible. They aren't as relevant as they once were.

So can Yahoo create something that has already been created and reproduced by tons of other companies and compete with Google and YouTube?

No.

Google has everything. They have their own internet browser, search engine, their own laptop, they have email. Yahoo has what... their search engine, email and that's about it...

See if Yahoo had jumped on the bandwagon years ago when things started happening with social media, streaming and uploading videos, they could have made some serious influence. But they chose to take the Nintendo way and improve what they already have, without innovating and improvising. Its why Nintendo is going down the toilet, they always focus on what they have, and not what they could have.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree with you Khaos.

That, and the fact that Youtube is completely dominating the online video niche. It's the one place to upload a video and share it. What could Yahoo do that would be a complete revolution? Something so incredibly awesome that people would go their way and leave Youtube? Good luck.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I think it all depends on how they market their wares. I personally don't like Google because of privacy and censorship policies that legally are unconstitutional.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I think it all depends on how they market their wares. I personally don't like Google because of privacy and censorship policies that legally are unconstitutional.
Would that make you use "Yahoo Videos" instead of Youtube on the day you need to upload a video on the Internet?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If Yahoo doesn't censor what I upload like YouTube does. I'm not even permitted to make comments on my own videos that I upload on YouTube.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Really? Do they give you a reason why you can? That doesn't seem normal.

Yes, in order to comment on my own YouTube channel I have to download software to my computer run by Google in addition to joining Googles social media network. I'm the consumer. I make the rules. Apparently Google doesn't seem to understand that. So let them crash and burn.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Oh! It sounds like you don't have a Google+ account, would that be correct? I think that's why you can't post comments on Youtube.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, you need a Google+ account in order to post comments on Youtube, right?