Yay! Ashcroft is resigning!

Darkwolf

I notice the word EMPIRE coming up alot. The perminent war thing is playing out. If that is not what they were trying to do, we'd be being alot more agressive, and getting this thing finished.

StarLord

Not if you have planned to build Bases there in the first place DarkWolf. Like Japan, Germany, ..........

Judge Bean

In order to sustain the criminal regime of the military-corporate complex, they need a sustained state of violence in poor countries. They can make more money with a fulldress incursion of U.S. forces (which require a mindboggling* support system for wetnaps, bottled water, and armored portapotties) than with a mere insurgency fought by kids with secondhand guns-- but either way, so long as it requires a UN or US "presence."

War is now our way of life. A rocketlauncher is as much a status symbol in some parts of the world as a Toyota is for a teenager in the US. We are responsible for creating a world where this is true, and we claim to justify this state of affairs as a "war on terrorism."

The beautiful thing about a "war on terror" is that its end is not in sight-- to cite Bush, whether we ever catch terrorist leaders is not that important to us, and the results of our efforts are "up in the air." There is no light at the end of the tunnel, as they used to say about Vietnam, because there is no tunnel, no darkness, no end hoped for.

* I do not know what it is to "boggle" a mind, but I assume it would be uncomfortable.

CaryP

While, I'm certainly glad to see Ashcroft go by the way side, his replacement looks like he could be worse. Alberto Gonzales, the nominee, is the same wiggler who came up with the idea that the Geneva Convention against torture could be ignored in the WOT. This guy could make Ashcroft look like Howdy Doody. Anyway, excerpts from a brief article on Gonzales' nomination follows below.

Cary

White House law chief linked to abuse culture

ALBERTO Gonzales, the White House legal adviser once embroiled in the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal, was named by President George Bush yesterday as US Attorney-General.

Once his nomination is confirmed by the US Senate, Mr Gonzales, 49, will replace the retired John Ashcroft and become the first Hispanic-American to fill the post.

Mr Gonzales, a close friend and confidant of the President since Mr Bush was Governor of Texas, pledged to serve with trust and integrity.

Mr Bush sought to head off critics of Mr Gonzales' past approach to civil liberties, saying he had served with skill and integrity as legal counsel.

When the Abu Ghraib scandal erupted this year, Mr Gonzales was blamed for helping create the culture which led to the abuses, not just in Iraq but in Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay.

In January 2002, with the war against terror under way, he sent a memo to Mr Bush suggesting the Geneva Convention be ignored when interrogating prisoners.

\"The nature of the new war places a higher premium on our ability to quickly obtain information from captured terrorists,\" Mr Gonzales advised.

\"In my judgment, this new paradigm renders obsolete the Geneva Convention's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions.\"

Mr Gonzales vigorously denied he or the Administration had ever sanctioned torture.

He was a strident defender of the Government's policy of keeping detainees at such places as Guantanamo Bay for long periods without access to lawyers or courts.

Mr Gonzales' ascension to Attorney-General is an American dream come true and a political boon for Mr Bush, because Hispanics are a growing and increasingly important sector of the electorate.

Cornelia

LOL Cary, when I heard the news I ran to see the guy's bio too... ;)
We have a saying: "The worst never die".

CaryP

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Nov 12 2004, 04:33 PM
Look for him to be nominated to the Supreme Court in the next few years.

Oh gee, I can hardly wait. But that is the rumor.

Cary

Judge Bean

Originally posted by CaryP+Nov 13 2004, 03:26 AM--><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Paul J. Lyon@Nov 12 2004, 04:33 PM
Look for him to be nominated to the Supreme Court in the next few years.

Oh gee, I can hardly wait. But that is the rumor.

Cary
[snapback]15085[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Another one for the Court: Sen. Orrin Hatch. Katie bar the door!

Alyxavior

Any rumors on whether or not Bush is going to resign, yet?

Everybody else is...

Just curious.

Thanks.

(Edit is me being as anal as possible and capitalizing the "A" in the first word of this post.)