I can travel through time in my dreams

TimeFlipper

@Miscellaneous You might try researching The Aboriginals Beliefs and Culture, also The Yaqui Indian beliefs and culture, which was highlighted in a fantastic series of books i read back in the 1980s written by Carlos Castenada and the first book was titled The Teachings of Don Juan-A Yaqui Way of Knowledge..
Briefly its about an American guy studying certain aspects of the Mexican Yaqui Indians culture in Sonoro, and he meets a "Sorceror" who takes him on a fantastic journey of dream travel and learnings firstly using Mescaline and meeting the Yaqui`s God called Mescalito..The series then goes into attacks from other Sorcerers (evil Brujo`s) and how he is taught to repel them, plus much much more :)
While you are absolutely correct that several indigineous people's hold the belief that dreamtime is akin to traversing another life or dimension, much of what Castenada wrote has been proven to be fictious. He probably befriended some local native people, spoke with them about their religious practices and added some bullshit. He did manage to sell a load of books.
Yes i agree that Castenada could easily have been constructing a fictitious story, but never the less, the Yaqui tribe of people from Mexico and and other similar cultures did use Peyote in their religious ceremonies....Peyote is a cactus grown in certain areas of Mexico that contains psychoactive substances such as Mescaline which can induce types of dream travel, and remember that Mescalin is extremely close to LSD in its component make up..Every fiction writer will always incorporate within their stories known facts, which helps to provide the reader with a sense of realism :)

Dr Zaius

Much of our dream state is comprised of daily events ,subliminal desires, suppressed issues and Jungian archytypical information. If some of our dreamtime is astral projection that could possibly be coupled with time travel, how do we determine the amount of each? What is the baseline for comparison and how do we sift through these upon waking?

Dr Zaius

@Miscellaneous You might try researching The Aboriginals Beliefs and Culture, also The Yaqui Indian beliefs and culture, which was highlighted in a fantastic series of books i read back in the 1980s written by Carlos Castenada and the first book was titled The Teachings of Don Juan-A Yaqui Way of Knowledge..
Briefly its about an American guy studying certain aspects of the Mexican Yaqui Indians culture in Sonoro, and he meets a "Sorceror" who takes him on a fantastic journey of dream travel and learnings firstly using Mescaline and meeting the Yaqui`s God called Mescalito..The series then goes into attacks from other Sorcerers (evil Brujo`s) and how he is taught to repel them, plus much much more :)
While you are absolutely correct that several indigineous people's hold the belief that dreamtime is akin to traversing another life or dimension, much of what Castenada wrote has been proven to be fictious. He probably befriended some local native people, spoke with them about their religious practices and added some bullshit. He did manage to sell a load of books.
Yes i agree that Castenada could easily have been constructing a fictitious story, but never the less, the Yaqui tribe of people from Mexico and and other similar cultures did use Peyote in their religious ceremonies....Peyote is a cactus grown in certain areas of Mexico that contains psychoactive substances such as Mescaline which can induce types of dream travel, and remember that Mescalin is extremely close to LSD in its component make up..Every fiction writer will always incorporate within their stories known facts, which helps to provide the reader with a sense of realism :)
It is true that good fiction needs some elements of truth for the sake of realism, however, while most fiction is presented in novel form, Mr Castenada presented his fiction as factual, which was a disservice to the reader as well as the native people's customs. I joke with my Cherokee friend that he could get rich if he put on a buckskin shirt and started making up ancient wisdom. Of course, I tell him, he will have to get a teepee and sage, even though his tribe probably didn't use either. Trust me, the American Indians are no more or less in tune with nature than anyone else.

Dr Zaius

@Dr Zaius Yep, they are your opinions :)
Sorry to burst your bubble about Castenada, if you do some research on his life you may find out more surprises about his "teachings".
Google fake Carlos Castenada .
You may also find it surprising that the Yaqui tribe do not use peyote in their rituals.

Last edited:

TimeFlipper

@Dr Zaius One thing is for certain he certainly brought about loads of controversy which is the perfect format for selling millions of books, that are still being sold at this very moment in time...And yes, there are postings of him being a fake and its very possible his publishers have perpetuated this for the purpose of keeping his excellent series of books alive, and remember that any form publicity good or bad can be very good for continuation of sales ;)..Im out this conversation now :D