Time travel a reality.... what do you think?

Could time travel technologies be used to help heal humanity?

• Total voters

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Even the formula E=MC^2 is pure fiction. There is no physical observation to support the use of mass in any calculation. F=MA is supposed to represent an inertial acceleration. Yet the observation shows weight is present, and it is variable. Think about where is the proof that says you can convert weight to mass. There isn't one. There also appears to be no way to determine an objects inertial mass. In chemistry we were using gravitational mass. Where is the proof to show the two types of mass can be interchangeable? It does appear my science education from the schools is pure fiction.

Even the formula E=MC^2 is pure fiction. There is no physical observation to support the use of mass in any calculation. F=MA is supposed to represent an inertial acceleration. Yet the observation shows weight is present, and it is variable. Think about where is the proof that says you can convert weight to mass. There isn't one. There also appears to be no way to determine an objects inertial mass. In chemistry we were using gravitational mass. Where is the proof to show the two types of mass can be interchangeable? It does appear my science education from the schools is pure fiction.
Comparison, Einstein. Comparison, Einstein. Nietsnie, nosirapmoc. Nietsnie, nosirapmoc.
I before E, except after C. C retfa tpecxe, E erofeb I.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + (5 + 6) + 7 + 8 + 9 = 11
The key is Z=-1. ABC-[=|-|=]-XYZ
Z^2 = 1

Use your Imagination; that leads to Creation.

If I told you, that Earth is a Nucleus, and You are an "Electron" AND "Proton", where do you stand in this esoteric enigmatic mess?
You are rejecting matter, gravity, the collapse of waveforms (the wave/particle duality), basically all of science, solely because you don't understand it, because you are looking for non-truths because you think you have been lied to, when you are lying to yourself (unintentionally, only because you know you have been lied to).

Let me explain something to you.
If I take my hand up, I create "potential mass". If I slap your face with force of 2, that "potential mass" is transferred to YOU, with a force of -2.
Your face now has transpired in the conversation of the conversion of the mass of my slap to the mass of your face.
The RHYTHM of the SONG, the SMACK and the PAIN, are your Geiger Counter going Ballistic.

That's when you slap me in a fit of rage.
And then I slap you.
And then you slap me.
And then I slap you.

And then we realize this is monkey business.

Ayasano

You are rejecting...basically all of science, solely because you don't understand it...

While I find your style of writing and explanations a little unusual, I agree with the above quote and wish more people understood this.

While it's silly to claim that we know everything, claiming that the scientific laws we curently operate under are just plain wrong is equally silly.

Nothing in science is "correct" so much as "more correct than other explanations". If your observations match the predictions your hypotheses makes, that hypothesis has value. If new observations contradict the hypothesis, it still has value, just less value than a hypothesis which takes these new factors into account. (eg. Newton's laws are perfectly useful in certain situations, despite General/Special Relativity being more correct)

The map is not the territory.

Ayasano

I never understood why people think that if they spew out a bunch of technical talk randomly, it makes them look like a time traveler. *scratches head*
Main/Techno Babble - Television Tropes & Idioms

It's usually a smokescreen in the hope that you'll give up trying to understand them and take their word for it.

Of course, the real problem lies in assuming a real time traveler would be spending their time on this forum in the first place and/or that they would tell you what they were. (Tourists trolling the locals aside, but I can't see the higher-ups allowing that)

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I never understood why people think that if they spew out a bunch of technical talk randomly, it makes them look like a time traveler. *scratches head*

It's usually a smokescreen in the hope that you'll give up trying to understand them and take their word for it.

Of course, the real problem lies in assuming a real time traveler would be spending their time on this forum in the first place and/or that they would tell you what they were. (Tourists trolling the locals aside, but I can't see the higher-ups allowing that)

Well, did it ever occur to you that no one would believe their story anyway. So why not go some place where the intellect is more open minded to the concept?

Ayasano

Well, did it ever occur to you that no one would believe their story anyway. So why not go some place where the intellect is more open minded to the concept?

You're assuming that they would want people to know they're a time traveller. That was my point.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

You're assuming that they would want people to know they're a time traveller. That was my point.

Try and look at it from the viewpoint of a time traveler. What could possibly be gained from bragging about being a time traveler? I see no gain whatsoever.

The actual time travelers that do time travel just don't seem to brag about it. So far, I only know of one individual with a story that I want to believe. But in order for me to believe his story, I would have to verify his claim.

Ayasano

Try and look at it from the viewpoint of a time traveler. What could possibly be gained from bragging about being a time traveler? I see no gain whatsoever.

The actual time travelers that do time travel just don't seem to brag about it. So far, I only know of one individual with a story that I want to believe. But in order for me to believe his story, I would have to verify his claim.

My point was less about bragging and more about them even revealing themselves at all. It seems extremely unlikely that an individual could invent time travel on their own. In the case of Many Worlds, it's likely the first would be a nation state, who would be highly unlikely to reveal themselves because it serves no purpose, and even actively hinders any goal they might have. If it's a single timeline, things get a bit more....messy, but suffice to say those further Up would almost certainly want to keep tight controls on who could use the technology, to avoid the Time Traveller's Dilemma. In either case, whoever has the technology first would almost certainly have the means to keep it under wraps. (About to make a breakthrough? Whoops, mysterious mechanical failure and/or dead grandfather)

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

My point was less about bragging and more about them even revealing themselves at all. It seems extremely unlikely that an individual could invent time travel on their own. In the case of Many Worlds, it's likely the first would be a nation state, who would be highly unlikely to reveal themselves because it serves no purpose, and even actively hinders any goal they might have. If it's a single timeline, things get a bit more....messy, but suffice to say those further Up would almost certainly want to keep tight controls on who could use the technology, to avoid the Time Traveller's Dilemma. In either case, whoever has the technology first would almost certainly have the means to keep it under wraps. (About to make a breakthrough? Whoops, mysterious mechanical failure and/or dead grandfather)

I think it all depends on your moral constitution. Are you someone that desires power over others? Then keeping time travel technology under wraps would be a high priority on your list. If everyone had access to the technology, there would be no power advantage. And if you are the type that would rather help your fellow man with this technology, then you might be more inclined to share it. As for inventing time travel technology on your own? I think even you could do it if you were determined. Just use observable fact instead of the assumptions and theories we are taught in school. Of course if everyone is drilled to accept beliefs over facts, then overcoming that handicap might be a deterrent to developing time travel technology.

Ayasano

I think it all depends on your moral constitution. Are you someone that desires power over others? Then keeping time travel technology under wraps would be a high priority on your list. If everyone had access to the technology, there would be no power advantage. And if you are the type that would rather help your fellow man with this technology, then you might be more inclined to share it. As for inventing time travel technology on your own? I think even you could do it if you were determined. Just use observable fact instead of the assumptions and theories we are taught in school. Of course if everyone is drilled to accept beliefs over facts, then overcoming that handicap might be a deterrent to developing time travel technology.

I think you missed my point a little. I'm not saying it's difficult technologically inventing time travel on your own. (Though there's probably a certain level of scientific knowledge and problem solving skills required, not to mention resources) I'm saying even if you could, it's likely people with a much more vested interest in keeping the technology regulated would easily have the means to do so.

In a single timeline, a single change results in a butterfly effect that can easily wipe out billions of lives a few thousand years down the line. And because you're dealing with time travel, in this scenario the idea of who came up with the idea "first" is a bit more muddled. You can't think of time as a linear progression of cause and effect in this case, more as a tangled mess of looping lines that all afect each other. And from the universe's point of view, these lines are already fixed forever in place. What you see as a "change" always happened, you're just observing it from a different point of view, gaining new knowledge of the situation. (If you go back in time to kill your own grandfather, the person you "killed" turns out to be an actor/clone/android/someone else/etc. Or your time machine is disabled before you ever leave. It's in the future's best interest for things to stay the way they are)

If multiple timelines exist, then it's a little more likely to see invidivuals because time travel couldn't be used to make a change in your own timeline, except perhaps for reconnaissance, if it's possible to return to the original timeline. And even then, such an intervention in the present might just cause a seperate universe without said intervention to spawn.

Given the current lack of credible time travellers, I'm leaning towards the former explanation.

As an aside, my favourite part about the single timeline theory is that it also provides a possible answer to Fermi's Paradox. Imagine a bubble of spacetime extending in all directions, for say 1,000 years and a 1,000 lightyears. Imagine everything beyond that is teeming with a civilization capable of time travel. That civilization is our future, extending far into our past, keeping itself dark to us because it knows we never knew about it. Cause and effect, going round and round in a circle. It's almost poetic.