1000 years old?

StarLord

Re: 1000 years old?

Yes, until your first back ache, your third set of false teeth, Your 20th jury summons,
Rocky 65, you just found out that everything you are eating is made from dead people because the sea died just a short century ago, but my! doesn't look so natural, you find out that they no longer make preperation H, When you're 375 you hear this very loud voice that reverberates throughout the whole universe "OK!, Lights Out!!" as you notice all those stars winking out one by one faster than you would have ever believed.

Heinrich Hundekok

Live for a 1000 years? Why, cool. I can see the picture, some 30 years in the future from now...
A new drug for sale - very expensive, but once you've bought it you've got plenty of time to pay back that tiny bit of money. I'd say 98% of all "pills" would be sold in our part of the world - Wealthy White West.

First thing I'd do is work really hard for the first say 50 years or so, earning up enough money to be able to live pretty well the next 950 years from the interest alone. Ummm... but since everybody else seems to be doing the same thing, countries and states worldwide quickly force banks to adjust deposit rates to a minimum in order to prevent everybody from just sittin' on their asses earning interest. As a result, people stop putting their money in the bank, keeping it under their mattresses instead. Banks start to look for a new way of building up a capital to work with.

On the other hand lots of folks start thinking "What the heck! I've got plenty o' time - lets have a party!" and they'd go an' loan huge sums of money, utterly convinced that they'd some day win this amount in the lottery anyway - I mean, you can't fail to win when playing for a 1000 years, can you?
(But of course gambling associatoins and compagnies (?) across the world predicted this situation and readjusted the chance of winning accordingly.)

Banks figure this out, raising loan interest in order to compensate for their losses. The bank advisor would go like: "why, think new, Ma'am. Now You've got a 1000 years of work on that can-factory to pay back those loans - Don't worry, Ma'am!"

But since population for unknown reasons seem to explode even faster than back in good 'ole 2K, people need to work even harder to earn a living, than anyone ever thought possible. Since disease and poor health are gone, the human body can now pe pushed to endure unbelievable sufferings. What a good thing we live longer now - no other way to pay off them ugly debts. 1000 $ for every glass of non-diseasing chlorated water? why cool! I got time enough on my hands to pay them bills.

But then some people would start to think" Man, I'm only 200 years old and I already owe 2 billion $ to more than ten thousand different creditors. It costs me more than I can earn just to have a solicitor taking care of all the formalities for me. Man, that sucks!"

And then, after some soul-tearing decades, whirling deeper and deeper into that maelstrom of debt, they'd start going like this:

"I mean, who cares about time, anyway... Time's worth nothing, man... Everyone's got time... The more time you got, the less it's worth... Man, since time's worth nothin' it don' matter if I live for a 1000 years or if I just go end it all just now. Hey, that's what I'm gonna do!"

And they would do so, and all coloured people in the world would live happily ever after - at last freed of their bleach northern money-loving masters, that have made their lives miserable through centuries.

Happy ending!

H.H.

thenumbersix

A good point in the first paragraph - money !

What everything basically revolves around wether we like it or nor.

If anyone under 20 wnats my advice, don't spend all of your 20's rebelling against the 'system' we live in. A truer word has never been said when 'they' said 'if you can't beat them, join them'

If you want to beat some one/thing then what better way than to use their own tools to whip with ?

You can be guaranteed that if these pills are out there we won't hear about them.....unless we become the dominating force on this planet, time for sitting back and being smug 'in the knowledge' is over, as is my rant...

Mai

Human motivation will probably be dimished at first, I agree with that. But I believe that once we'll adjust to the situation, our perception of time and time scales will change greatly, and we will be able to continue inventing, improving, working-- just on a far bigger scale. Human thought will change to accommodate this change. We will no longer make plans for days, months, years. Our plans and projects will be planned by millenia.

It will be the same as now, only bigger. We are humans, after all, and humans cannot get rid of the urge to invent and create and plan. We'll keep on doing what we've always been doing-- we'll just use more time to do things.

XDrFirefly

"If you are a reasonably risk-aware teenager today in an affluent, non-violent neighbourhood, you have a risk of dying in the next year of well under one in 1,000, which means that if you stayed that way forever you would have a 50/50 chance of living to over 1,000."

Stupid people would still die. Disasters would still happen. Virus would still kill millions. Then, another twist. some people would not want to live.

I\'m all keen on living for a 1,000 years. Ever since the first day I read Anne Rice\'s Vampire Books I had a desire to see the world change around me.

1. Stupid People. Most people cant program their VCR (Why we had to make DVR). Most people cant do alot. So, i\'d say that less then 40% of the world population could do what needs to be done to live for 1,000.

We all talk about this poor planet. I think people might care more. 1,000 we can really mess some stuff up. It\'s not something our grandkids will have to worry about, its something we have to worry about. Plus, like someone else said about trips to Mars. We could do that in a breeze.

I think up more later

-Dr FF

PyRo99

Okay, so lets look at all the wars that occured since, 1005 AD. Crusades, Revolutionary Wars, Civil Wars, 100 Day War, World Wars etc. Ain't that a damming sight?

And why would you want to be immortal in a place where people are as dumb as the wall?;)

artsouth

great! i feel younger already... im 43 and apparently still just an anckle biter...cool! the way things are now...ill be 750 years old before i can own my own home, and i thought id never live to see the day....

XDrFirefly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"PyRo99\")</div>
Okay, so lets look at all the wars that occured since, 1005 AD. Crusades, Revolutionary Wars, Civil Wars, 100 Day War, World Wars etc. Ain't that a damming sight?

And why would you want to be immortal in a place where people are as dumb as the wall?;)[/b]

I really would have like to see all the wars. I knows it's all give and take. Just think of all the other things that happened since 1005 AD
Riding Horse from town to town. Now Going to different planets.

I really don't think alot of the current population would or could handle this. Remember your not immortal, just living for a long time. If you were a Jew in WW2 you still would die in a camp. A fighter in the Crusades probally die. The black plague would have gotten alot of the population as well.

I guess there are Major Plus and Minus to this.

I see the Plus.

Dr FF