A normal discussion?

Whitelight

A normal discussion?

You guys have no idea how happy I am this place is back up, but no one is posting! I'd really like it if people would get more involved, so I'd have someone to talk to (other than Num, haha) when theirs a new post.

So...

What does everyone do for work here? Since tons of us have been here a long time, I thought we could all say what are job was when we first started coming here, and what we're doing now.

I'm a Customer Relations representitive for a telecommunications company, when I started hanging around here I was working for Starbucks as a supervisor though.

The awesome jobs you can get with only highschool education and a few courses in administrative work :p

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: A normal discussion?

Sorry, I'm the first to reply.

I'm an IT, I work on computers all day like a nerd (thank God, I don't wear thick glasses), and I repair workstations and servers crashing in all kind of different places, for various reasons. I'm working from the office, or directly with the custumer. When I came here the first time, I was still at school, I wasn't working at the time. Ah, the good old days.

Num7

Whitelight

It's okay Num. There are three things certain in life, taxes, death, and you posting :)

That's cool about the IT job, you make me think of Brent. Cept I'm the only one of the three of us with thick glasses, haha.

It sounds fun none the less. A lot better than working for Rogers, but I enjoy my job.

Keroscene

When I first started posting here, I was working for a company called Stream doing technical support for Samsung electronics. I was in a section that was kind of obscure though, and I never got a single call. I was there almost six months and never got a call. They knew there was a chance I probably wouldn't, so I got to watch a lot of tv, Samsung was nice enough to put a 60" Plasma TV a few feet from my cubicle. THey had digital cable there as well. I worked overnights,between sleeping at my desk and watching TV, that was pretty much all I did there. No supervisor or anything around all night.

Since then I've been into construction. Jumping from job to job, whichever pays more, or when one runs out move to another. I don't mind it really, every day is a little different. Sometimes the money is really good. Not always, but sometimes. I get to be outside and work, which is nice.

I've had quite a few jobs now that I think about it. Worked at McDonalds during high school. Had a paper route. Worked at Kmart. Worked for a Moving and Storage company. Worked at a Grocery Store. THose were just during high school. I worked for the US Census Bureau for about half a year when I got out of high school. What a boring job that was.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

When I first joined, this site was called TimeTravelForum.net. I was living in Canada at the time (Hull, Quebec) and working as a web/graphic/print designer for a company called SW Prints.

The owner of SW Prints ended up fleeing to Russia with some stick-thin girl he met online or something, leaving his wife and kid behind. His wife was hot, I don't get it.

Then I moved to Arizona and worked at Target. Took turns working the fitting room, jewelry counter, electronics center, men's clothing and front lanes areas over the course of a few years. I hated jewelry... Then I moved to the back room and got to throw boxes off the truck at midnight.

After I got tired of that, I got a job in technical support for Cox Communications. It was okay, but the bastards measured every possible statistic about you... Call time, how many times you said their name, how long they were on hold, how long it took you to access their customer screen... Even though I had the highest customer satisfaction rating, they let me go because I guess you're not actually supposed to make things right with your patrons. Who knew?

I got a shitty job selling TVs and cell phones at Radio Shack. They're slowly trying to become a cell phone boutique, which I think is odd. We were expected to mention cell phones to everybody regardless of what they were buying... Sorta hard to bring up cell phones when the bastard is buying a little bag of capacitors.

So I moved from Arizona to North Carolina in February and now I'm the Facilities and IT Director for a couple of car dealerships. Easy enough work, but the machinery is almost a decade old and something new fails every day. It's fun to look like a genius by replacing batteries in a mouse or showing someone how to make something bold though.

Christ. Long post.

Whitelight

Your samsung job sounds great, Keroscene! Sounds like me when they had me working Sundays as dealer support. My job was to help dealers when there was something they could not do themselves on Sales Central, or if the system crashed and they needed me to manually add in short order codes onto accounts. I worked at 7 am, and in Ontario it would be 10 am, but most of the stores opened at 11am, so I was asleep at my desk for the first hour until someone got too busy to try and do it themselves or just needed help.

Jeff

yo man i dont even remember where i was when i found this site. i was all liqoured up and im pretty sure someone slipped me some crystal. at first i thought it was my friend paul cuz hes shady like that, but then i found out it might be my other friend whos name i dont remember.

Keroscene

Whitelight said:
Your samsung job sounds great, Keroscene! Sounds like me when they had me working Sundays as dealer support. My job was to help dealers when there was something they could not do themselves on Sales Central, or if the system crashed and they needed me to manually add in short order codes onto accounts. I worked at 7 am, and in Ontario it would be 10 am, but most of the stores opened at 11am, so I was asleep at my desk for the first hour until someone got too busy to try and do it themselves or just needed help.

Yeah it wasn't to bad while it lasted. They made me take a 2 hour lunch though, I can't remember why exactly. So I was actually there 10 hours instead of a normal 8 and a half.
At one time some one must have eaten a samsung ink cartridge. There must have been a lawsuit and they felt there should be a department to cover such situations. I was there to direct the unfortunate person in case anything like that happened. Of course I never got a single call. I think I had one call that was sent to me on accident. There were two other guys that had the same assignment as me. I wasn't completely alone all night, made it a little more bearable.

Whitelight

If I ate an ink cartridge I'd go to the hospitol. But that's just me :p haha. I understand people calling for weird reasons as well though.

I had a woman ask for the number for Office of the President because someone had attacked her and she thought they were following her. She said she changed her number, and that the girl at the Rogers store was in cahoots with the attacker and started calling this woman at the new number she had just requested. She was like 'I had to move because they're working together, and I don't know if they'll come back! And I want to complain because my number wasn't unlisted like I was paying for, and that's how I think the attacker found me'

One, cell phone numbers aren't listed, two we don't offer a blocked number for a cost, you can block it for free, and make your outgoing call display private.

First thing I said was 'Have you called the police about any of this?'

'No'

I put her on hold to find out what I do with someone who is clearly not mentally stable, and she hung up.