ACLU is anti-Christian

Unintentional

ACLU is anti-Christian

Controversy continues over removal of cross - THE DAILY BRUIN ONLINE

In a weekly meeting this Tuesday, the board refused a motion made by Supervisor Michael Antonovich to reconsider the 3-2 vote to remove the cross while hundreds gathered outside to protest the decision.

The American Civil Liberties Union, a self-described civil rights group, threatened to sue the county if nothing was done in regard to what the ACLU believed to be an improper endorsement of religion by the appearance of a cross on the county seal.
\"We feel this is an attack on Christianity and hostility toward Christianity launched by the ACLU,\" Ginela said.

He added that Christianity is not the only religion represented on the seal because the pagan goddess of fruit trees, Pomona, is shown as well.
Why was the ACLU offended by the cross, but not the Goddess Pomona, which is featured much more promenantly in the seal? I think the answer is obvious. They have an anti Christian motive, not a freedom of religion motive. The constitution guarentees freedom OF religion, not freedome FROM relgion.
us-calac.gif

http://timetravelforum.net

Phoenix

ACLU is anti-Christian

Well I don't know many churches of Goddess Pomona around every corner either. I would have had no idea that is who she was if I wasn't told that.

Anoah

ACLU is anti-Christian

ACLU is anti-Christian, they attack Christianity, but not others

oooookay....do you mind telling me why thats wrong? ;)

Yeah, Im going to go and hide under a rock now for about 10,000 years.

Unintentional

ACLU is anti-Christian

I am suspicious of any group that calls themselves American this or National that and clearly represent a tiny minority or that group. The ACLU calls themselves the American Civil Liberties Union, but seem to constantly tear away at the roots of it. They remind me of that group that used to be called the mouthpiece of the Soviet Union... (Kennedy Libraries School or something like that, I don't know the exact name). My point is they object to the cross because it is a religious symbol but make no mention of the Pomona Goddess, clearly another religious symbol. Does anyone know of ANY example where the ACLU objected to a religious symbol that wasn't Christian or Jewish related? They seem to spend a lot of money fighting the 10 commandments and other things like that.

I mostly posted this because I feel this article shows their blatant ness of being anti Christian and not necessary anti religion. I could stomach them if they were just anti religion, but they clearly seem to be anti Christian.

Phoenix brings to mind, he never heard of the Goodness of Pomona and therefore is indifferent to it. Why can't ACLU be that way about Christianity? Just be indifferent to it? Clearly they could care less about Christianity themselves, else they wouldn't be so frightened of it, but why try to take Christianity away from everyone else.

Remember why Olestra (Olestra) came out. There was one guy who didn't like it, so he made a massive nationwide campaign to stop it. That makes as much sense as someone who is allergic to strawberries trying to get them being sold.

I think they should at least change their name and drop the American part out, because it implies they are somehow connected with most Americans. Similarly, the National Origination of Women. Do all women agree with their positions? How dare they call themselves that when they clearly do not represent even a tiny minority of women's views? The ACLU should drop the A because they also only represent a miniscule minority of Americans.

bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum

Anoah

ACLU is anti-Christian

I have to agree with you John.

My big problem with the ACLU is that they seem to be on a witch hunt against christianity. Im no big fan of the christian religion but the ACLU sure singles it out. They will turn their heads if someone gets the star of david or the koran out but the sight of a crucifix will cause a lawsuit.

Again, Im not particularly religious (and neither were our countries founding fathers) but in America people are supposed to be free with their religious beliefs. Why can't they pray at school and say god if they want? Let the christian kids have bible study before homeroom and let the muslim kids pray towards mecca.

I don't know what the ACLU's problem is either. It would be easier too respect them if they took a full on stance against all demonstrations against religion but you are correct when you say they do not do that.

Any other thoughts here? Anyone support the ACLU?

Unintentional

ACLU is anti-Christian

http://archive.aclu.org/library/pbp16.html
Q: What about nonverbal symbols, like swastikas and burning crosses -- are they constitutionally protected?
A: Symbols of hate are constitutionally protected if they're worn or displayed before a general audience in a public place -- say, in a march or at a rally in a public park. But the First Amendment doesn't protect the use of nonverbal symbols to encroach upon, or desecrate, private property, such as burning a cross on someone's lawn or spray-painting a swastika on the wall of a synagogue or dorm.
That is from ACLU own website. They have no problem with swastikas or burning crosses displayed or worn in a public place. But since the cross in a public place is not promoting hate speech, according to them it's got to go! They also say on their website that the answer to hate speech is more speech and speech should never ever be censured, but again that clearly doesn't include Christianity speech.
bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum

Phoenix

ACLU is anti-Christian

I feel there is no threat that the religion of Goddess Pomona will look at the seal of Los Angles and proclaim that the state itself supports their particular religious belief. I do see many evangelical types making references to the word "creator" in the Declaration of Independence to mean that this country is a Christian country and all God fearing people should keep it that way.

I once heard of a small town out east driving spikes into the ground to proclaim that Satan is not allowed in their town.

It does take all kinds of people in this world. I do happen to believe that separation of church and state is an American ideal. There are good and just reasons to maintain such a separation, even if it is not always the popular thing to do. With Christianity being so predominant in the United States, it is little wonder this is the religion that is most often needed to be separated from the State.

It is very easy to rally people against unpopular view points. Do this enough times and you find yourself left with a very narrow and bland view point that you are expected to uphold. It is very difficult to bravely stand on behalf of the unpopular view point, justice and wisdom do demand it to be done though.

Anoah

ACLU is anti-Christian

I don't have a problem with separation of church and state. However a lot of people believe it should be all or none. The aclu defends some organizations and crucifies others.

Many of the authors of the declaration of independence were about as god fearing as Ozzy Osbourne. The "creator" and god" references were made solely in our history's early documents because it was at that time deemed appropriate to make such references. Don't you think Jefferson would be shocked and appalled by today's christian right in America? I know he would. But I also think he would be horrified at the ACLU.

Phoenix

ACLU is anti-Christian

Originally posted by Unintentional@Jun 27 2004, 03:43 PM
I agree exactly with you Phoenix. ?However it seems sometimes that the ones supporting Christian ideas are the ones with the unpopular viewpoints.
bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum
If it is an unpopular view a great deal of architecture and structures are devoted to the unpopular view.