AHOY SAILOR ' world’s largest cruise ship'

Mayhem

Zenith
Royal Caribbean’s new, nearly 1,200-foot-long and 250,800 gross ton Icon of the Seas - which set sail from the Port of Miami on its maiden cruise just before sunset on Saturday - towers like a multilayered birthday cake.

1706404948905.png

The frosting on top is in the form of seven swimming pools, a whimsical striped carousel, groves of tropical greenery and twisting waterslides in green, pink, blue and orange.

When the $2 billion ship sailed into Miami with music blasting on January 10, after crossing the Atlantic - with a pitstop on Puerto Rico - from the shipyard in Turku, Finland, where it was built, it was greeted with a cacophony of fireboat salutes and a banner flag flyover. The commotion brought traffic to a halt along the causeway to Miami Beach that parallels the cruise ship channel.

Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi was even in on the ship’s early fanfare as the Icon of the Seas’ “godfather,” christening the 20-deck ship on January 23.

The ship is officially the biggest cruise ship in the world, with Royal Caribbean’s Wonder of the Seas, new in early 2022, trailing close behind at 1,188 feet long and 235,600 gross tons.

Passengers on its maiden voyage, a sold-out, seven-night cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, will be able to enjoy some next-level experiences at sea.

Last edited:

Mayhem

Zenith
Would you go on a cruise on this ship? That's literally a floating city!
Good question, impressive vessel.

I wouldnt wanna be anyone in a small boat stuck in front of it :) Well anything is small compared.

Be interesting to understand the day to day running of it, a lot people on the ship.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Imagine how many people are needed to operate this monster! Let alone take care of the guests!

I'd love to see how it all works, must be fascinating.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yeah, that would definitely factor in for me too when/if considering going on a cruise. I wouldn't like it if the place is too crowded.

I like to relax and enjoy some quiet time.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Just think about all those people stranded on cruise vessels during the covid-19 outbreak. Some of them were quarantined for 6 months. For maybe what started out as a 2 week cruise.

Wind7

Staff
Could you imagine what it'd be like to pilot that thing?

I wonder how much ballast it takes to keep her upright,
bilge pumps have to be huge! :oops: