Another Stepping Stone

Judge Bean

Another Stepping Stone

Originally posted by PyRo99@Dec 15 2004, 01:35 AM
Good Point Paul.

But then again, what if you and me are just figments of our own imaginations?

I've checked, and you haven't been deleted.

Is a figment a real thing? Does anything other than an imagination have figments?

StarLord

Another Stepping Stone

Isn't that the stuff you find under the Fig tree? In the past, we used the ments to keep things from sliding off the edge of the earth. Once it dried, you couldn't budge it. Worked like a charm and it was much cheaper than having a cement truck come by.

CaryP

Another Stepping Stone

I don't know about figs as figments, but I used to pick figs as a kid. Getting back on topic, Congressman Ron Paul, MD of Texas has denounced the new national ID card.

Ron Paul Denounces National ID Card

Congressman Ron Paul today denounced the national ID card provisions contained in the intelligence bill being voted on in the U.S. House of Representatives, while urging his colleagues to reject the bill and its new layers of needless bureaucracy.

?National ID cards are not proper in a free society,? Paul stated. ?This is America, not Soviet Russia. The federal government should never be allowed to demand papers from American citizens, and it certainly has no constitutional authority to do so.?

?A national identification card, in whatever form it may take, will allow the federal government to inappropriately monitor the movements and transactions of every American,? Paul continued. ?History shows that governments inevitably use such power in harmful ways. The 9-11 commission, whose recommendations underlie this bill, has called for internal screening points where identification will be demanded. Domestic travel restrictions are the hallmark of authoritarian states, not free nations. It is just a matter of time until those who refuse to carry the new licenses will be denied the ability to drive or board an airplane.?

?Nationalizing standards for drivers licenses and birth certificates, and linking them together via a national database, creates a national ID system pure and simple. Proponents of the national ID understand that the public remains wary of the scheme, so they attempt to claim they?re merely creating new standards for existing state IDs. Nonsense! This legislation imposes federal standards in a federal bill, and it creates a federalized ID regardless of whether the ID itself is still stamped with the name of your state.?

?Those who are willing to allow the government to establish a Soviet-style internal passport system because they think it will make us safer are terribly mistaken,? Paul concluded. ?Subjecting every citizen to surveillance and screening points actually will make us less safe, not in the least because it will divert resources away from tracking and apprehending terrorists and deploy them against innocent Americans! Every conservative who believes in constitutional restraints on government should reject the authoritarian national ID card and the nonsensical intelligence bill itself.?

December 8, 2004

Dr. Ron Paul is a Republican member of Congress from Texas.

There's also an article from Devvy about civil disobediaence and the national ID card. It's a very long article so I'll post a link for those of you who give a rat's ass.

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND THE NATIONAL ID

Get ready for "papers please" at a check point near you.

Cary

Judge Bean

Another Stepping Stone

Originally posted by StarLord@Dec 15 2004, 04:55 PM
Isn't that the stuff you find under the Fig tree? In the past, we used the ments to keep things from sliding off the edge of the earth. Once it dried, ?you couldn't budge it. Worked like a charm and it was much cheaper than having a cement truck come by.

Cary has just raised another rat-end. You going to bet, or what? They won't get any better while you study them, just go with what you got.

Cary, isn't this Cong. Paul the one that Phoenix posted about once? He has a whole manifesto about the threats to our rights.

Just goes to show you, red or blue, underneath the real ones are red, white, and blue.

CaryP

Another Stepping Stone

Cary, isn't this Cong. Paul the one that Phoenix posted about once? He has a whole manifesto about the threats to our rights.

Just goes to show you, red or blue, underneath the real ones are red, white, and blue.

Paul, I don't remember a Phoenix post about Congressman Paul, but he does have a host of threats to our rights, and publishes them on his website. He's one of the only federally elected politicians that is worthy of the position, IMO. Damn, right for Congressman Paul, red, white and blue.

Cary

StarLord

Another Stepping Stone

Ok, I'll see yours and raise you one.

The same thing was said about Hall Passes. But then kids that didn't care much about life started to show up with their dads' guns, or their own, and a bad attitude. Suddenly, Hall Passes made quite a lot of sense so did the metal detectors at all entrances.

Let the bad men blow themselves up out side our borders.

In case you haven't noticed, certain large cities are Already scaning people at Sporting Events and such.

CaryP

Another Stepping Stone

It ain't the "bad men" outside our borders I'm worried about. It's the "bad men" in the White House and various govt. agencies that concern me. The potential for abuse is large. As they say about power corrupting...

Cary

dancho

Another Stepping Stone

It's all over but the cryin', Cary. That's progress. You are never going to put the genie back in the bottle. Technology has reached a point where we can spy on each other with ease.

But all is not lost. This does not automatically mean that the world is coming to an end. It is just one part of a HUGE change in the nature of our world, that some folks have called "The Singularity."

This will be the greatest "event" in human history, and it's bearing down on us now, and will occur in about twenty to fifty years. The "news media" can't report on it because it's a force so vast and powerful that it can't be defined.

It's technological change. Raised to the the power of "almost literally of infinity."

My favorite movie of all time is "Forbidden Planet." In that film (the film that the ideas for the original Star Trek were 'borrowed' from) the crew of the starship find a planet where a magnificent civilization once stood-- the civilization of The Krell. When they arrive at the planet, all that remains of that civilization is a single giant machine that fills the interior of the planet. The purpose of the machine? To enable any Krell to create anything that they desire using the power of their minds alone. "Creation free of instrumentalities."

We are closer to that than anyone imagines.

Now, dammit, I'm going to have to go put that movie in the VCR. :D

StarLord

Another Stepping Stone

I myself would love to have Robby. Just think about all the money you would save on Every Thing. All you would need to do is buy it once.

Judge Bean

Another Stepping Stone

Originally posted by StarLord@Dec 15 2004, 10:30 PM
I myself would love to have Robby. Just think about all the money you would save on Every Thing. All you would need to do is buy it once.

My favorite is Angry Red Planet, with the giant amoeba and the redhead who loses her memory upon seeing the Giant Cricketheaded alien in the portal next to the huge, clunky Bendix schoolroom clock in Mars Ship One.

She needs a strong drug to jolt her back to earth and into the arms of the comatose captain, who will set her up next to one of them snazzy new dishwashers.

Back home, everything is fine in suburbia and the Russians are far, far away in their own angry red place.

Personally, I am tired of the world coming to an end. It's like the Lansky character in the Godfather, "Roth," who Michael says "has been dying of the same heart attack for 25 years."