Atlantis - Real or make believe? (Or somewhere in between?)

Is Atlantis real?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Perhaps, but not as we think.

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Negan

THE member
Atlantis - Real or make believe? (Or somewhere in between?)

Ever since I was little, I've been fascinated by ship wrecks. Well, I've been fascinated by things being under the sea that shouldn't be. Cars, boats, and of course, cities. Which has lead me to Atlantis, a topic which I'm interested in but never got around to study in depth beyond a few quick reads and "documentaries".

There is a lot of mystery surrounding Atlantis. Some claim it existed, others say it's a figment of our imagination based on nothing more than an old fable. Some claim there's evidence, others claim the evidence is nonsense. I'm a skeptic first, believer second. "I want to believe".

So I thought I'd make this thread in order for us to discuss the topic of Atlantis. Share links, stories, beliefs and whatever may fit the bill pertaining to the topic. I'll be posting here from time to time with links of my own, and my own thoughts on the subject. Would love to see what you all think.

Negan

THE member
I'm leaning towards the theory that Atlantis is / was a real place, but not as we've come to think of it. I think it may have been an important trading port. Perhaps with quality wares for sale which grew in popularity and word spread wide which later developed into more than what it was as people tend to exaggerate. I also believe a natural disaster sent the city crashing underwater, making it even more mysterious.

Of course, I could be wrong. And I'd love to be proven wrong and that Atlantis is a place of technological advancement which was ahead of its time.

Edit
@Mayhem, Only in passing. I've not really read anything about it other than seeing glimpses of it mentioned.

TimeFlipper

Have you heard of bimini and the glass pyramids?

There is an updated internet posting regarding the road to Atlantis (Stones of Atlantis Bimini-2020 All you Need to Know), the author mentioned his own Catamaran and snorkeling in the sea, plus a mention about the "beautiful fish" in that area.....I emailed him quickly after reading that and told him for goodness sake don't mention fish, otherwise that useless worthless European Union (EU) will be claiming the fish for themselves, and the UK will be claiming the fish rightly belongs to the UK, and will be sending a fleet of Destroyers down there, along with a large amount of the smaller high speed interception boats that are equipped with fishing net cutting equipment!! :LOL:...

Harte

There is an updated internet posting regarding the road to Atlantis (Stones of Atlantis Bimini-2020 All you Need to Know), the author mentioned his own Catamaran and snorkeling in the sea, plus a mention about the "beautiful fish" in that area.....I emailed him quickly after reading that and told him for goodness sake don't mention fish, otherwise that useless worthless European Union (EU) will be claiming the fish for themselves, and the UK will be claiming the fish rightly belongs to the UK, and will be sending a fleet of Destroyers down there, along with a large amount of the smaller high speed interception boats that are equipped with fishing net cutting equipment!! :LOL:...
Let me guess.

Doctor Greg Little, Family Counselor.

Harte

TexDanm

I suspect that Atlantis is a part of the almost worldwide series of flood legend. I think that at the end of the last ice-age there were civilizations all over the world that we inundated as the seas rose, possibly rather suddenly 400 feet. What would be left of our world if the oceans suddenly rose 400 feet? Most civilizations, especially in their preindustrial age are clustered near to the seas and rivers. In the US nearly 50% of our population lives in the coastal counties. Any world wide disaster that killed half of the people would also kill a lot more and probably drive people into a much-reduced technological level. After 15,000 years what would be left of the memories of a once-great people? Imagine a great city alongside a small sea in the middle of the area that is now the Mediterranean sea when the ocean breached the line at Gibraltar and filled that basin to many times its previous size. then the same thing would happen at the Bosphorus as the Black Sea was flooded to a much higher level. All over the world, the stories of floods are part of the ancient lore. Atlantis was just one of many lost cities and civilizations.

TexDanm

Plato may well have been passing on a story that had previously been an oral tradition. Plato himself was a long time ago. Lots of oral traditions may have been lost. Many more have been twisted into versions that are very little like their original truth. Lots of questions and so few answers. Only speculation and guesses.

Harte

You're asserting that we don't have much in the way of the Ancient Greek tradition?
Or are you saying we don't know enough about the Ancient Egyptian tradition?

Where would we look for such a story being passed on by Plato? He says (through Critias) that the story came from Egypt (via Solon) but there is no Egyptian tradition concerning anything even slightly like this story.

Remember - Solon lived only a couple hundred years before Plato (circa 600 BC.) Persia (a well-understood and literary civilization) had conquered and ruled Egypt at that time.
If the story was around in Egypt then, we'd know it.
So, where is it?

Harte