bad hoaxes

Padraic

bad hoaxes

I can tell you from my own personal experience that some who may not even be hoaxers might be uncomfortable with speaking out on a forum such as this because of the incessant grilling that they will have to go through. I cannot speak for those claiming to be from the future, since that is not my experience, but I can speak to what someone in my situation might be going through. You show up in a time not your own and you know absolutely nothing of the time you are in, unless you end up in a previous time, which was not my case. You go through all manner of confusion, attempting to sort out what happened, why it happened, and whether or not anyone would believe you. You see how society treats anyone who does not fit in, anyone who sticks out in any way, and you see how your experiences do not fit in with mainstream belief. You know that since you did not come here by your own doing, you certainly have to way to replicate what happened, thus no way to offer anyone absolute proof of what you say. So you keep your mouth shut. You read everything you can get your hands on in an effort to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can, in order to fit in quicker. You go along with these memories you cannot share with anyone for fear of how you may be treated. Then you learn how to use the internet and you start researching to see if anyone else out there is having your own experiences. You come across discussion forums and lo and behold, there are people on there speaking about what you have been through. You feel some hope, then you see how those people are all ripped apart, most of them justifiably so, but you realize that if and when you tell your story, you will be subjected to the same gauntlet. So you keep quiet, taking some solace in some of the stories you are reading and the fact that some of them appear to be genuine. Then eventually, after maybe a year or so, you stir up the courage to tell your story. At least I did, but how many stopped short of telling theirs? How many are there whose stories we will never see, because of the fear they have of how they will be treated? That is how I felt for a long time, all those times I was reading the other forum as a guest and never registering or posting. It is not something easy to go through. You all have been cordial with me and that has helped make the experience easier, but sometimes the sheer volume of questions that were thrown at me in the beginning was a lot to handle. Thank you all for the polite reception you have given me.

Sincerely,

Padraic

John

bad hoaxes

Kill 'em with kindness is our philosphy 'round here.

Actually, I think we are all aware that, hoaxer or not, you are a person. And given time the person will either confirm or show the truth in your story. But more importantly, it will show the real you. It is hard to keep up a character and eventually, the real person behind the story will emerge.

We are glad that you feel welcome.

sosuemetoo

bad hoaxes

Originally posted by Satan@Aug 24 2004, 02:26 PM
I am not a threat at all. But you did forget the computer genius JediStryker who can hunt you down and tell you the color of your bed sheets with only your email address.

Very true, very true. He did that with me and remarked that I had not made my bed this morning ;)

Sorry for not including Jedi in that list.

HackimerRob

bad hoaxes

Pat, I've been watching your posts since over on the .tk and I have to say I've had my doubting moments of you. Also, I feel it's way harder to debunk an unwitting forward traveller from our past than anything. In fact, it's the hardest thing to debunk. All the facts you can recite about your time are findable, and when the signs of the times in your posts are evident, it becomes even harder to find holes. Your story is incredibly undebunkable. And that's why you and Chris and the like are still around. Of course, I agree with everyone else on here that we try to be as kind as possible because we don't want to scare away the possible real one that will come. Personally, I believe that you are unmaliciously hoaxing, but it's only a hunch and not meant to disrespect you, it's my opinion and I won't attack you over it. Partly because I don't have much interest in history and secondly becuase it's an excercise in insane futility to attempt to debunk you. You're the Teflon Traveller. You've been here long enough to acclimate to our world, so you don't seem that foreign, you're very polite so as not to draw animosity, and you can quote any records you can find on the over 20 billion websites in google.
Looking at you this way (with the respectful assumption you're hoaxing), I turn to this thread specifically.
From a psychological standpoint hoaxing is slightly stressful as you are trying to pull off something that takes concentration, research and effort to get over people that are experienced at cathching hoaxes. So when you see that you, yourself, maintaining a hoax has lasted not only on the old board, where it was easy to do because of (shuts mouth in lieu of being rude) but to the crossover where you say yourself that it's possibly harder to hoax US, than it is THEM, you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment.
In my eyes, this thread and your first post in it is a subtle attempt to gloat in character, if only for your own satisfaction.
You seem like you could be genuinely a nice person, or you REALLY DO BELIEVE you came from the past. (be it true or a psychological issue) How and why we may never know, but if you did that (not something I believe impossible) then I will never be one hundred percent convinced. I also will never be one hundred percent convinced that you didn't. Titor's story is more debunkable than yours. At least, it's easier to try to debunk him cause his stakes were so much higher than yours.
If you're hoaxing, you're doing a good job, but eventually, you should let us know that you got us, because that's the ultimate release, and admission of success. You can't live without that if you are what I think you are.
Enjoy your mind!~
I'm out of mine!
WEOOOOOooooo *jingle jingle jingle.

Snow

bad hoaxes

Then eventually, after maybe a year or so, you stir up the courage to tell your story. At least I did, but how many stopped short of telling theirs? How many are there whose stories we will never see, because of the fear they have of how they will be treated? That is how I felt for a long time, all those times I was reading the other forum as a guest and never registering or posting. It is not something easy to go through.

Exactly. It would take some guts to come out as a Time Traveler around here.
Real or not, you sure have to have thick skin.

Oh well . . .

SFW

PS - Two years? You waited two years to post?

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
bad hoaxes

I have a slightly different take on this in order to answer your question Padraic and my answer is formed within a number responses, from within these, you will see the whole of my reply.

1) This place was born out of the chaos that reigned at Gavin's Board. Very little Administrative Support was ever obvious there and the Moderators were left to their own devices for the most part. Phoenix and Kitten took there roles seriously and Phoenix was ever a man for giving the benefit of the doubt. This would be seen as a noble attribute by most, but for the ignoble hoaxer this was an opportunity, a sign of weakness and an avenue for sometimes malicious exploitation of his kind nature.

This place is organised with almost Military precision, due the the very nature of Gavin's oft-times sloppy, if present, management style and the chaos it wrought. In coming here, the site founders wished it to be everything that Gavin's Board was not. So, being born out of chaos as it was, those who came here had to forge their steel in the hot fires of condemnation and mendacious retaliation. It was with a newly forged spirit of determination that the rules, ethos and spirit of this Board came to the fore and the belief's of each and every Member came to be valuable, necessary and imbued into the very essence of why we are here.

2) We are a family. We are not just netizens of a Global Domain, we are part of a caring Community. In this, we are of one heart and anyone foolish enough to mess with this family is brave indeed.

As a family we are uniquely skilled and possess all the necessary to support one another, to manage ths space, to root out the would be hoaxers and great potential to further the dream, to find TT#1. This place can therefore be seen as a Traveller's Aid Society with a mission to provide a way point for Time Travellers, links to sites of interest, information and assistance. This is the Hub, we intend to build our Society from here, create communes, havens and resources for the weary traveller, interested member, or dedicated researcher. It is a dream that this family believes in and shares, though we have no grand mission statement to hang our dream on, rather a collective desire to realise this dream.

So, we are unified and strenthened by our purpose, we are comfortable with each and every family Member and we are commited to the sharing of ourselves, our dreams and our lives. This is a strength that we possess and it jumps at you from the threads, it screams at you that we care, for this that we seek and those that we journey with.

3) Time teaches us. We have, between us, seen many permutations of the TT hoax and we share our collective knowledge and suspicions. We do not seek to voraciously debunk, nor do we seek to be trifled with. We use loose knit wool in our caps, so when any hoaxer seeks to pull them over our eyes, we can see right through them.

We have learned to be forgiving as well. So not all hoaxers are branded and cast out, some are erudite, have taken the time to study the medium of their tale and we respect that. Sometimes a long journey requires a good story teller, someone to amuse us on the road, those we keep for good company.

So, Padraic, there you have my take on why we are what we are. If you can see my answer, clearly, as it is written, you may come to understand us and stay in the comfort of our family for a while. But, there are conditions and there are consequences, everyone pays for upsetting us. :D

HackimerRob

bad hoaxes

Gray, that was a beautiful post. The subtle weavings....mmmmm. they make me croon. I felt a need to answer in the vein you posted but I didn't. I figured someone else would be better suited, as your family metaphor implied, and I was correct. After reading that I read back through this thread and I see that happening. I see the personality network that when one post leaves out something, another poster jumps in and hold up their end. It's great, and this ship will one day soar through space.

sosuemetoo

bad hoaxes

I think Grayson's post should be copied and be the foundation of everything that we stand for on this board.

Thank you my sworded friend.

"Mom"