Basilisk: Any Guesses How To Kill One?

This particular creature is also known as a "cockatrice". This legendary , deadly"beast" , was said to be a small, very dangerous serpent, born from a cock's egg and hatched by a toad on a bed of dyng. It was often represented as having the head of a cock, a feathered back, and 4 pair of legs. In legends, this creature had a deadly breath, much feared , especially in the Middle Ages, as it was assumed that if a knight on horseback were to spear the creature with his lance, the basilisk's poision would pass thrugh the lance, killing both knight and horse. The only way to surely kill it was to confront the creature with a miror; the creature would die by gazing on its own reflection.(WATKINS DICTIONARY OF MAGIC, Watkins Publishing, London, 2005, pp. 34-35.)

kcwildman

Beastmaster
Strongs concordance ref 6848 cockatrice from an unused root meaning to extrude; as thrusting out the tounge IE hissing... a viper, adder a deadly snake.......
I would say just cut off the head.
wikipedia......
a legendary creature basicly a two legged dragon with a roosters head and wings which no one ever saw ornament of poetry and drama of the 12th century died by the end of the 17th century victum of new science.
magical abilities
turn people to stone or kill them by looking at them or touching them or sometime breathing on them the weasel is the only animal know to be immune to the stare. it was thought to die instantly apon hearing a rooster crow. only way to sure fire kill is with a mirror. like medusa its stare could kill even when dead.
cool as all get out there Graveyard Hound;) good find all this time I never knew it was anything but a snake from the BIBLE. and I have even seen the thing in pics. and didn't know. I always thought it was another type of dragon from CHINA.

Fley

I never heard of this creature before, so i'm guessing it is not as famous as the Loch Ness monster or mermaids.

After searching a bit on the internet, I see that it was mentionned several times in the bible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisk#Rationalized_accounts

It seems that basilisks really existed (people WROTE about it), but how come they are not mentionned by scientists as an extinct species?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
ok my bad I looked at the cockatrice and not the Basilisk seems they are two diffrent animals from the pic.'s they look quite diff. still cool as all get out :)

ZeoEmeraude

Well i don't know about killing the thing in the good Ole days......but today we have a more modern way of killing such beasts. Ya lay it down with some serious firepower! And if that doesn't do it....well, who can say.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
I like the way you think Zeo a well placed load from a 10guage goose gun should do it, and if not theres always dynomite:D

I didn't know they could be killed. The only thing dead would bre the poor mrtal that was just dumb enough to look at it..sorta like Medusa, only with scales.:eek:

shield

You could always do as harry potter did. Blind it then stab it through the mouth to its brain, if you wanna risk poisoning yourself.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'd hit the eyes first. Blinding those giant beast sounds like a pretty good plan. This technique should work on most giant creatures trying to kill you.