Bush Admin Lax on Civil Rights Enforcement

StarLord

Cary, I am only talking about those that take life from another. I have also seen that 'rap' for years concerning our penal system turning out 'professional' hoods with a taste for eating society alive.

Public flogging for victimless and petty crimes seems cheaper than feeding folks and putting them up for a few years. Perhaps public humiliation would stop them.

I will say that countries that cut off a thiefs hand the first time they steal seem to have a VERY low % of people stealing. Now why do you think that is?

Perhaps those countries have a point also.

You dont see Dancho talking about those countries do you? Or did I miss something?

Darkwolf

Public flogging for victimless and petty crimes seems cheaper than feeding folks and putting them up for a few years. Perhaps public humiliation would stop them.

It seemed to work when it was used. Though I think that truly victemless crimes ought to be well, decriminalized.

You dont see Dancho talking about those countries do you? Or did I miss something?

Dancho seems to have a problem with christian morality. Does he sound.....vaugly...... familiar to any of you??

CaryP

Cary, I am only talking about those that take life from another. I have also seen that 'rap' for years concerning our penal system turning out 'professional' hoods with a taste for eating society alive.

StarLord,

On the convicted murderers, we are in great agreement. Let's just be sure they're "guilty" as in DNA evidence, or something compelling. Corporal punishment for petty crimes rather than jail time would be IMO be a wonderful alternative. Why waste tax dollars having the petty criminals trained into becoming major criminals?

You been an LEO or something? You seem to have hard opinions about this. Just my thoughts.

Cary

Timmy G

I see the change jar is gettin kinda full, s'there enuff room for my two cents? :D

Prisons. They are entirely overpopulated just for starters. For Non-Violent criminals, get those poor bastards out of the gray bar hotels and into the streets for public floggings, humiliations and such. Lop a finger for a theft conviction, lop a hand for the second. There are countries who have instituted the 'death penalty' for drunk driving. Obviously their DUI rate is near zero. So, I say lop their li'l buddy off for a convicted rapists 1st offense - hell, maybe even a frontal lobotomy for the second.

Also agreed, prisons are a place where simpletons are nurtured into better than average crooks. For the lazy, prisons provide more than three hots and a cot - for trustee's they offer cells with carpeting, books and all the niceties of home. They can have conjugal visits - cable tv and weight rooms (let alone all the college degrees they can choke down). It's disgusting, not to mention I hear tell we taxpayers spend anywhere from $50,000 a year to $200,000 a year PER CONVICT :blink: (ok, whose pockets are getting fat here?)

Try this on for size. Make each prison capable of producing its own electricity - with the power coming solely from the inmates. Let 'em run a tread mill or manually scoop water or dirt or whatever, they must supply their own power and each inmate must contribute via manual labor. Let them grow their own food and make their own clothes. dispose of their own wastes, etc. Make various prisons manufacture different items and then trade with the other prisons. If prison A doesn't make work pants, then they trade some of their beef with prison B, which does.

In other words, make each prison self sufficient - and then the whole system self sufficient. This way taxpayers end up not only paying out no tax dollars, but also reap the benefits of having a prison in their own back yard by being able to purchase whatever it is the prison manufactures at a very nice price. I have a medium security prison less than four miles from where I live; wouldn't it be nice to wonder over there and get a nice pair of handmade shoes or something for $10 or $20?

Recidivism is at an alarming rate - geez, I wonder why? It's easier to go back then it is to stay out here. Make the work hard enough while they are there that they do not want to return and give them skills they can actually use in society. Maybe when the prisons start churning out people with skills, the labor market will absorb instead of shun them.

How does that little diddy go? Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach him how, he will eat for a lifetime.

It would have to be my guess that some bureaucracy is getting lots of money from the US having so many prisoners at any given time. This is another prime example of how certain things need to change - but truly never will because those who make the decisions are living in self interest.

Darkwolf

It would have to be my guess that some bureaucracy is getting lots of money from the US having so many prisoners at any given time. This is another prime example of how certain things need to change - but truly never will because those who make the decisions are living in self interest.

This is an example of how we are becoming an imperial system rather than a national one. A good book that details how and why this always happens is Civil War 2 by Thomas Chittum. Just make sure you are outta the way when it goes down.

StarLord

Pity, we seem to have lost dancho in our tete a tete. I was very interested in what new insights our new friend would come up with.

Timmy,

Getting cons off of their collective assets and making a prison self sufficient to the point that it starts paying money back to the county in which it resides is a great Idea.

Also, as they owe their lively hood to the US in the first place, I myself would like to see an actual Dirty Dozen senario. It is high time they quit sucking the tax payers dry for all these years. Put them to real work where it counts. Imagine the SHOCK & AWE the otherside would get having to deal with thousands of hardened criminals dropped from the air, holding arms with one goal in mind. "If you erase 100 confirmed, you get a pardon" Oh, and the antidote also.

Finally, a time where you too can be Snake Pliskin, just like in the movies.

Cary,

Something like that many years ago.

dancho

Sorry I had to leave, folks, but I have other obligations!

Regarding the "rights" issue. I just want to make my point clear and I'll shut up about this. The original post talked about "enforcing" rights. I believe that the more you attempt to "enforce" rights the FEWER rights we all have, due to more and more government intrusion into our lives in the name of "fairness."

Prisons are full of people arrested for "victimless" crimes. I object to sending more folks to prison because they violated someone's "rights." Hey-- that's how I feel about it. I got a little "worked up" as I'm inclined to do when this subject comes up. Sorry.

Regarding death for murderers and/or corporal punishment. I understand the emotion-- thinking about somebody harming my family or people close to me (or just breaking into my garage) makes me think about, ummmmm. BAD THINGS.

But several thousand years of civilization and plenty of smart people have taught us to be cool and try to behave like responsible adults. It's the only way to go. Otherwise-- chaos.

StarLord

dancho,

Agreed on the victimless crime part. What did you have in mind about those that refuse to respond like adults? I am interested in what you think should be done. You can't have just one party being responsible.

Darkwolf

Regarding the \"rights\" issue. I just want to make my point clear and I'll shut up about this. The original post talked about \"enforcing\" rights. I believe that the more you attempt to \"enforce\" rights the FEWER rights we all have, due to more and more government intrusion into our lives in the name of \"fairness.\"

The rights laws that are being referred to apply only to the enforceers. There are rules that the police have to follow, and apperently these are not being enforced. Enforcement of these rules won't have any effect on the average person at all.

Judge Bean

"The moment a man says, 'give up your rights, here is money,' there is tyranny. It comes masquerading in monks' cowls, and in citizens' coats, comes savagely or comes politely. But it is tyranny." --Emerson