Can Bots Send Private Messages?

Yeats

Perhaps the Administrator or one of the Moderators can enlighten me on a matter which I find curious.

Occasionally, I will check the Members tab to see what topics are being discussed by both members and guests. Sometimes, instead of saying something like "Guest is viewing thread X" it will say "Member Z engaged in conversation". I take this to mean that Member Z is using the private messaging system.

Fine. Then why have I also noticed that, on occasion, a line will read "Robot: Bing engaged in conversation"? Are the bots sending private messages now?

This A.I. thing seems to be getting out of hand...

Num7

Administrator
Hi,

The search engines bots follow the pages members go to. When it's a private page, like the conversations, they try but can't reach it. So while it looks like they are on such a page, they're not.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

Yeats

I see. Thank you for the speedy reply. Now I don't have to destroy all my smart appliances.

Witch Hunt

There is an interesting phenomenon on Facebook right now. If you say something specific and negative about Biden, Harris, etc, Someone will make a single post basically saying you are wrong. Just one post. But if the conversation stays on that negative track, a different person will make a post basically saying that you are wrong. And it keeps on happening. It seems like it is a real person doing it because they address other posters by name but it is always in the most general of terms. Bots, people or an advanced algorithm?

Now do bots communicate? Well it depends on what you call communication. Their programming or more correctly, their coding, runs congruent with or in some cases intersects with other bots. To the casual observer it looks like that they are communicating.

lamdo263

There is an interesting phenomenon on Facebook right now. If you say something specific and negative about Biden, Harris, etc, Someone will make a single post basically saying you are wrong. Just one post. But if the conversation stays on that negative track, a different person will make a post basically saying that you are wrong. And it keeps on happening. It seems like it is a real person doing it because they address other posters by name but it is always in the most general of terms. Bots, people or an advanced algorithm?

Now do bots communicate? Well it depends on what you call communication. Their programming or more correctly, their coding, runs congruent with or in some cases intersects with other bots. To the casual observer it looks like that they are communicating.
Depends on how developed the bot is.