China-Taiwan Situation

Ghost

China-Taiwan Situation

I am a little scared by the China-Taiwan situation. The situation is that Taiwan wants to be independent and is preparing to be by 2008, but China doesn't want Taiwan to gain independence and is making preparations to prevent Taiwan from doing so even if means military action. It goes down hill from there because the U.S. is bound BY LAW to help Taiwan defend itself if it is attacked.

http://www.taiwandocuments.org/tra01.htm#3302
Sec. 3302. Implementation of United States policy with regard to Taiwan
(a) Defense articles and services
In furtherance of the policy set forth in section 3301 of this title, the United States will make available to Taiwan such defense articles and defense services in such quantity as may be necessary to enable Taiwan to maintain a sufficient self-defense capability.
(B) Determination of Taiwan's defense needs
The President and the Congress shall determine the nature and quantity of such defense articles and services based solely upon their judgment of the needs of Taiwan, in accordance with procedures established by law. Such determination of Taiwan's defense needs shall include review by United States military authorities in connection with recommendations to the President and the Congress.
? United States response to threats to Taiwan or dangers to United States interests
The President is directed to inform the Congress promptly of any threat to the security or the social or economic system of the people on Taiwan and any danger to the interests of the United States arising therefrom. The President and the Congress shall determine, in accordance with constitutional processes, appropriate action by the United States in response to any such danger.

Some information: http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/zt/twwt/default.htm

Mai

China-Taiwan Situation

I believe that if the Taiwan crisis will start at a time which will not be all that comfortable for the US, the American government will find some way to get out of this arrangement.

BTW - The legal obligation to assist Taiwan in its self-defense is very vague. It could be anything, from giving them some American war toys to helping out with the supplies to training Taiwanese military officials to active, US military involvement. It's vague enough and flexible enough so that the administration can do what they want with it.

Darkwolf

China-Taiwan Situation

China is just ratteling it's sabre. One or two of our carrier battle groups could shut down any invasion attempt they made. They have to wait for us to be somhow weakened or distracted before they make a move there.

Judge Bean

China-Taiwan Situation

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Dec 23 2004, 01:48 AM
China is just ratteling it's sabre. One or two of our carrier battle groups could shut down any invasion attempt they made. They have to wait for us to be somhow weakened or distracted before they make a move there.

I feel weak; I am distracted. Anybody else?

CaryP

China-Taiwan Situation

I feel weak; I am distracted. Anybody else?

Pretty much sums it up for me Paul. If you've been following developments in Iraq, you may have noticed the U.S. military is kind of weak and distracted there too.

Yeeha.

Cary

Darkwolf

China-Taiwan Situation

Cary, Paul.

Our ground forces are distracted, but our Navy which is what would keep China off of Tiwan has plenty to spare. You don't need aircraft carriers and aigis cruisers to take on the insurgents in Iraq. They don't comparitavly have much in the way of Navel power, so we would just have to see that they never got to the island. I don't think they'll risk it while we have ships in the region, or that could get there.

StarLord

China-Taiwan Situation

Yes, that's usually the note in the air before we decide to throw cauiton to the wind and go in and lay waste to the surrounding area. Screw Shock and Awe, it's time we play by our own game book and Nuke that city. It so much easier to build on a hard glassy surface. We hear another peep from any other city and it's gone too.

It is high time to let them know that they have met a wailling wall they never wanted to meet. If they want to play suicide bomber, go for it, the difference is ours doesn't come with a person hooked up to it and the flash is about a million times larger.

CaryP

China-Taiwan Situation

Originally posted by Darkwolf@Dec 23 2004, 05:23 PM
Cary, Paul.

Our ground forces are distracted, but our Navy which is what would keep China off of Tiwan has plenty to spare. You don't need aircraft carriers and aigis cruisers to take on the insurgents in Iraq. They don't comparitavly have much in the way of Navel power, so we would just have to see that they never got to the island. I don't think they'll risk it while we have ships in the region, or that could get there.

Last I heard Darkwolf, we had 7, yes count 'em 7, aircraft carrier strike groups in the China Sea. Part of the "Summer Pulse 04" mission. I don't know if they're all still there, but they were at some point, not that long ago. If China has short-term designs on Taiwan, there's gonna be some fireworks the Chinese haven't imagined in centuries going off. Although I hear/read that some of the aircraft carrier strike groups are to keep Iran in check. We'll see, but I ain't getting no warm fuzzies from the current geopolitical landscape. I appreciate your pro-American military might perspective, but we can't keep it up indefinitely. Our resources are being drained with the idiot headed policies of Bushco. Maybe that's the point of it all. Merry Christmas.

Cary

Darkwolf

China-Taiwan Situation

It is high time to let them know that they have met a wailling wall they never wanted to meet. If they want to play suicide bomber, go for it, the difference is ours doesn't come with a person hooked up to it and the flash is about a million times larger.

I'll agree, sarcastic or not that we need to stop screwing around with those folks, and worrying about their sensibilities. This needs to end, and since we started it, we need to finish it with a win or appear vulnerable to the rest of the arab (and nonarab world) The only thing worse than looking like a bunch of maniacs would be looking like a bunch of maniacs that sombody juuusst miight be able to take down. I'd much rather this end with people saying " Great Allah, nobody screw with those people"
There are a number of ways of doing this withoug nukes or anything like that. First off, just about every Islamic uprising that has been sucessfully put down has been ended with psi war and the inherent weaknesses in the faith that makes them so strong. As I understand it, if a muslim dies, or has his body come into contact with pig or pig parts before or shortly after he dies, Allah is going to put him on the burn pile no matter how nobely he just martyered himself. There have to be a few fun and interasting ways to use that tidbit.

dancho

China-Taiwan Situation

I don't think there will be a war over Taiwan. I think that a negotiated settlement will evolve over time. But Korea is a truly frightening situation. We have troops in S. Korea who are going to get killed when the Kimchi hits the fan.

I'm old enough to remember Vietnam. I was 17 when they ended the draft (just missed me!) They had a saying back then that applies to Iraq.

"You can't conquer a map."

Now go, and ponder this, Grasshopper.

:huh: