Christianity

sosuemetoo

Christianity

Originally posted by hellrazor@Dec 21 2004, 08:10 AM
alot of chrisitians doing great research now days, sadly it will fall apart into many other groups like has been but atleast they stay in some sort of contact with eachother

Are you speaking of archeological research proving the accuracy of events of the Bible?

Unintentional

Christianity

There is alwasy a lot of historical research. Mostly fixing grammatical and translation errors. Due to a translational error, genesis clearly speaks that the earth is much much older than 7000 years that most fundies believe in. Genesis 1:2 should be correctly translated as "the Earth became empty and void", not "the Earth was empty and void". The correct translation removes many inconsistancies created by the wrong translation.

One other error that comes to mind that has not been fixed much is this:

"I say this day that surely you will be with me in paradise."

"I say this day, that surely you will be with me in paradise."

Note the missing comma? Makes for a very different meaning.

KiraSjon

Christianity

Interesting - no one's pointed out one of the most critical mis-translations yet in the Nicene Creed - the filioque.

this changed the translation of the nicene creed from:

\"And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified\"
to

\"And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified\"

Why is this relevant? Well - it changes the entire origin and purpose of the "Holy Spirit" and thus began a huge rift between Catholicism and Christianity.

in favour of presuppositions rooted in pagan philosophy, it becomes essential to find some way of philosophically distinguishing between the Son and the Holy Spirit. The filioque provides this: the Son?s origin is the Father alone, the Holy Spirit?s origin is both Father and Son.

Logic shows how flawed this reasoning is. If the love between Father and Son establishes another Divine Person, why stop at this point? Why not posit that the love between the Father and the Holy Spirit establishes a Fourth Person of the Godhead; that the love between the Son and the Holy Spirit establishes a Fifth Person of the Godhead; that the love between the Father and the Fourth Person establishes a Sixth Person of the Godhead; that the love between the Son and the Fourth Person establishes a Seventh Person of the Godhead; that the love between the Holy Spirit and the Fourth Person establishes an Eighth Person of the Godhead; that the love between the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit respectively with the Fifth Person establishes a Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Person of the Godhead respectively; etc. etc. etc. Once the principle that the love between Divine Persons leads to another Divine Person, how can it be logically stopped? It is the Neoplatonic idea of a ?plurality of spheres of being, arranged in hierarchical descending order ... each sphere of being is derived from its superior, a derivation that is not a process in time or space?. [Encyclopaedia Britannica]

By beginning from a pagan philosophical presupposition of ?divine simplicity? instead of Divine Revelation, from whence we know there are three Divine Persons in one Godhead, Augustine has so confused the Divine Persons that their distinction becomes unimportant. Thus, when faced with the following question:

Does the ability to ?spirate? the Holy Spirit come from the Godhead or from a Person?

Little info here for ya: Pagans believe in a triple diety of the Goddess. She has three forms: Mother Crone (like Grandma), The Mother Goddess (mom) and The Maiden (your little sister). This is what they are referring to.

Roman Catholics do not know how to respond. For those who recognise three distinct Persons Who have been revealed to us, it is clear that if the ability to ?spirate? is attributed to the Godhead, then there are two options: either 1) the Holy Spirit is not God (a denial of the Holy Trinity), or 2) He has the power to ?spirate? Himself (a ridiculous absurdity!). The typical Roman Catholic response is to claim the Father has given all things to the Son [Jn 3:35]. Of course, they admit that this cannot mean all things since the Father cannot give His Fatherhood to the Son (which would be an absurdity!), but they refuse to see the Fatherhood as the source of the Holy Spirit

There's more here: http://aggreen.net/filioque/filioque.html if you want to check it out. Read the originals carefully and decide for yourselves if the translation was valid or not :)

Tippy

Christianity

An interesting topic on a TT board.

I don't see anyone's personal faith as bad - as long as it gives them comfort and provides an impetus to make society, at large, better.

Christianity has, indeed, been an umbrella under which horrible attrocities have occured. But it also has provided stability and a cohesive bond that offer support to its followers. If I had to say whether the religion has caused more good - or more harm - I would be hard pressed.

For my own personal tastes - I don't buy Christianity. The entire scenario of an innocent god-man being sacrificed for the sins of others was well known before the story of Jesus came about. Payment in blood - the shedding of innocent blood - is too pagan for me. Long before the story of Jesus - other such stories circulated - on a widespread basis. Zoroaster was very similar - but perhaps the oldest one known to us was that of Osiris. More god-men that died for sinners - and whose spirit resided in Hell for three days before rising again to their eternal heavenly home.

And in both of those myths there is another striking likeness to Christianity - that of the cannibalism of the dead god-man. Pagan-type myths would often eat the dead god-man, the only difference is that in Christianity - the cannibalism is symbolic - 'taking communion' - the Holy Sacrament. However, in the RCC - that Sacrament has another very pagan belief, called transubstantiation, which simply means that the wafer and the wine ACTUALLY turn to the REAL blood of Jesus in one's tummy.

As someone else alluded to - the Trinity is a pagan element - found in numerous myths.

Just because I do not believe the story does not mean that religion has no place in modern society. It still does and ruler after ruler have used it to control the masses.

Unintentional

Christianity

To me all religions are like a group of blind men trying to describe an elephant. To one it is cold and yeilding, to another is is smooth and hard, to another it is warm, another wet, etc. etc.

Buddist, Catholics, and Voo-Doo all see thier religions as completely compatible and not in conflict with one another. To the progressive wings of almost everysingle religion, no religion is incompatible with one another. It is mostly the fundamentalist of each religion that seeks violent conflicts.

Also to me, I can not see any topic without involving religion, including time travel. To me all things are religious. Everything seems perfectly put together here by an intelligence and we'd better keep that foremost in our minds.

hellrazor

Christianity

I also dont understand why jesus would of died for our sins or why christians give the name god to things that have already been named, this doesnt stop me seeing the good points in the religion, just like many religions you can always learn something new something that can help you understand things in a diffrent way depending on your current lifes situation. :)

hellrazor

Christianity

Only way you could find an end to all war and fighting/hate is to have a perception that the whole world can accept, Sadly this would prolly be impossible cause u would need to change DNA structors of everyone at prolly faster than speed of light to stop the old perceptions spreading ^_^

CaryP

Re: Christianity

Couldn't find a general religion thread so I'm posting a link to the 10 Commandments analysis found at

http://members.cox.net/deleyd/religion/ten...mmandments.html

Without pasting the whole article here, the basic gist of it is that the 10 commandments really came from 17 different statements "alleged" to have taken place from God to his people. These 17 statements have been condensed into 10, but with slight variations between the Jewish, Protestant and Catholic religions. Anyway, the contrast and comparison was interesting IMO. Do with it what you will.

Cary