Christianity

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Re: Christianity

By means of prayers and alleged miracles, religion provides the illusion of security and comfort in this life and the promise of a splendiferous life after death, What more could man ask for?

Cubby

All religions and spiritualities are pretty compatible as they tend to promote the same principles. Even ones you make up as you go can share in this. Even ones that seem directly conflicting. The idea behind this is that there was more said then any record could state. Records can be altered and used selfishly. As one would understand, the ego relies on being fed it's self in as many forms as possible, while maintaining personal biases. Think of something as it "Should" be, if it's not, that changes nothing and adds a hint of frustration sometimes. Truth be told, many people get that. Ideas of how something should be if it's not when you come across it are too conflicting, the only thing to do is act upon it.. or disassemble the "should be". Many may consider that the [spiritual text] be taken for face value, deeper value, be contemplated long and hard or accepted. After that consideration is the concrete setting of "This is how [spiritual text] should be interpreted, this is my meaning". Out of it all, you can't bias something like an idea. None of them can be warped or distorted even since every configuration of words and ideas are open to individual interpretation, which helps spawn those ideas in the first place. The human mind works by configuring relations to shape something useful, or interesting, or to scare people away from something.. Maybe it was recognized that these enlightened people didn't want to indulge in the games of ego at the time.. As I pointed out, the ego looks for similiarities of itself. (Higher classes dictating to lower the ways to be, the things to do and have, while holding those things above their noses.. strikes a funny image of right now, eh?)

We all see things the same way, but that never suggested we need to define it all as an average. As it is, average and normal are words we hear alot.. And whatever we do alot of will always be subject to our sudden interest and concurrent disinterest.

PSY101

I am going to ask a couple of questions that maybe have deeper meanings or are just written into the bible for reference only. I am not going to bag religion or anyone's beliefs, but I have to say this....

Being of Orthodox religion, we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and God. But something made me wonder about a few of the passages in the bible (the bible being the catholic version and the Orthodox religion interpreted the passages into their own language and probably lost some of the meaning it was intended for).

Anyway, one passage that stands out the most is this one..."In The Beginning..." Now to me this seems like there is a beginning but of what, which beginning is it?

Secondly in the passages of the prophet Ezekiel, he describes a vision of a spinning wheel in the sky with four angels on each post with fire coming out of the bottom of the wheel (or something like that - please correct me if I am wrong :grin: ). This to me shows that Ezekiel has viewed a UFO and is describing it the best way he can in his time.

Lastly I would like to add that one of my friends attended Catholic school (Sunday School) and had asked a question regarding the dinosaurs and when they lived/died and if they were around in Jesus's time and why they were not listed in the Bible? Well he promptly got told to be quiet and not to open his mouth on things he didn't know. Then of course his mother was contacted and he was just as quickly kicked out of Sunday school as he did getting in.

That says alot to me about religion and how much information we really need to know. Like the government conspiracies that abound our world, "The information you seek is on a need-to-know basis...AND YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW!!!

So I ask for your feedback peeps!!!:p

darkbreed

I'm not gonna get much into talking about the bible or christianity now. But it's kinda funny how many tranlation errors there are from the original hebrew version into modern languages.

It's also funny how people talk about One God, when it actually in the bible itself in the original hebrew language is Gods in plural- the Elohyim.

I found a page that explains the meaning of the word Elohyim quite well here:
http://aquarianmysteries.com/elohiym.html

Cubby

What this school seems to be teaching is the importance in knowledge. Adam and Eve described full well that knowledge isn't as useful as people make it seem. At least, if you want to actually learn anything from religion is to reinterpret it and omit parts, especially the parts reinterpreted to political gain.

Unless of course you want to be an avid believer that the bible should be taken for face value only, as I've seen people do... which requires reinterpretation in it's own right.

Keep in mind that no one teacher has seen everything, wether religious or scientific. This teacher of religion responded in that way simply on the irritating fact that it was both oppositional and contradictory to thier knowledge of the subject. A person will spend their life learning the words from the book then teaching these words of patience, love and understanding and not practice them.

The bible says you can't just accept Jesus into your life, you have to emulate him. What he did, not what was done to him. Sure he spent his time teaching, but he was also a carpenter, a magician to his friends(water into wine! he caught on to fermentation fast) and a person as bound to operate in the "mundane" things that people do here... And he did it with a grin too I bet.

One last note, after being reminded; Nothing spectacularily miraculous ever happened outside of life as we see it alive. All prophets and messiahs describe things they've witnessed or been a part of... wether they take it as being otherworldly, netherworldly or transcendantally worldly, they just came back to describe something of this world.. even if they never noticed it as a part of their world before.

Like a friend of mine who never noticed the streets sparkling at night in the winter until he was persuaded to look.. So how much else can one just skim over that another one won't notice?

StarLord

Everything. And that is the whole pecadillo in a nut shell. We are missing ALL of creation untill we look at it in the right frame of mind. Untill then it just does not exist for us. No matter of how many hours you endure of esoterical type exhortations and how many books you try to cram down your spiritual throat, until you view something in the right manner, the door remains closed.

One of the most difficult things to hurdle in this kind of path is this stuff cannot be taught. It has to be 'caught'. It's almost as if you hunt it by stalking the quarry, by going backwards. The farther and harder you persue something, it will receed from you just that much.

Cubby

Precisely, books are one thing, you can read all you want on a subject wether it be scientific or spiritual. I can bet it will be an elusive step to jump right from knowledge to understanding without practice, manageable though perhaps but not the only method of learning and definately not the only way of learning the subject given.

An illiterate drummer can understand the importance of math but not know it's language. Which provokes me to add, one can stress the importance of continous time as continuous numbers. Yet still forget it's relevance at a medieval fare...

Ghost

You're right there were many people that wanted her to live that wern't Christian. However it was the vast majority, that were Christian.

Same-Sex marriage bans are coming because the Bible denounces Homosexuality. And the Bible was created by the Church not Jesus. Leave it to the Church.

I didn't know we were taking the low road, and saying "Other Religions attack Christians". But we seemingly forget the Crusades all too easily. Damned Muslims, wonder where they got the word Jihad from in the 1400s?

This thread wasn't intended for Religion, thats a different forum. I believe I've made a couple of threads:

http://www.timetravelforum.net/show...ht=Christianity

Post your thoughts on Christianity there. I ain't turnin' this thread into a Holy War.

This post is in response to one of Pyro's posts (see the above quote, the post was in the Just to get the ball Rollin' thread).

It is true that the Bible denounces homosexuality, as well as any form of sexual immorality. That fact I am not trying to dispute.
There is no evidence supporting your claim that the church created the Bible, and I do not know of anyone that believes that Jesus wrote the Bible. However I, as well all the other Christians I know, believe that the Bible is composed of books written by prophets, some of the apostles of Jesus, and others.

I was not "taking the low road" by saying all other religions attack Christianity, I was merely stating that I have not really observed any significantly large groups of Christians attacking non-Christians or being attacked by non-Christians. I do not deny that in almost every religion there is an extreme group that may be hostile to those of other religions, it is just that the number of radical, extreme individuals in larger religions is in proportion to those in smaller religions. The fanatics in larger religions are just much more visible.

The Crusades were just as territorial as they were religious. Both sides had motives other than killing those of the other religion and looting(although there was much of that involved). The Crusades were a result of Emperor Alexius I (of the Byzantine Empire) asking Pope Urban II for military aid in resisting Muslim advances into the Byzantine Empire. Pope Urban II made ample use of propaganda, turning the request for help in defending the Byzantine Empire into a crusade to conquer the Holy Land. That was the primary reason for the First Crusade. It was mostly about territorial accquisition, not because a bunch of Christians decided one afternoon that they all spontaneously wanted to kill some Muslims. I do not deny that attrocities were commited in the Crusades. I am also not saying that all actions or any action taken in the Crusades were justified, I am just saying it did not start merely because one side did not like the other's religion.

As for your remark about not wanting this turning into a "Holy War", I think that was in bad taste, made even worse by you saying it after insinuating that I was "taking the low road."

PyRo99

So, prophets wrote the Bible? Did Muhammed and Moses too? How about Sidartha? How about the priests, that are assumed to have made the Vedas? How about the Samuari that made Bushido? Are they considered to be prophets? How about Allah, Apollo, Athena, Aries, Zeus, Hercules, Shiva, Brahama, and Vishnu, are they not real?

The Bible wasn't written by anyone but the Church seeking some claim to fame. I don't think the Church could really record what Jesus was saying, in AD, when you had to be in Nobility in the Roman Empire to know how to read/write. But seeing as Jesus was the son of God, he must've been a natural.

Where did I say it was spontaneous that the Christians decided to kill the Muslims? Go back to that thread, and re-read it. But the Christians wanted to protect the "Holy Land" where Jesus and other various apostles worked.

Wrong, the two religions did not like each other. Why do you think the Christians were trying to save the "Holy Land", when each claimed they were holy? And the European kings wanted some money, especially since the Barbarians in Europe were fairly prominent, though on the decline.

What, I can't say I didn't want to turn it into "Holy War". Jesus Christ, what can I say? Oops can't say the lords name in Vain. GOD DAMN IT. THere we go again. Ah to hell with it, just a bunch of names anyways. Muslim Extremists apparently have a name for the word, hell the Christians coined it with 'Crusade'.

All the Christian faith does, is groan and moan whenever someone brings up a point against them.

So how long was the first day on Earth? The Old Testament doesn't say. Was it 24 hours? How about Adam and Eve?

While were at it, which came first the Chicken or the Egg?

What about Evolution?

Refute somethings, without using Religious Text, because I didn't go to Church. Praise Jesus and Pass da Potatoes.

Ghost

So, prophets wrote the Bible? Did Muhammed and Moses too? How about Sidartha? How about the priests, that are assumed to have made the Vedas? How about the Samuari that made Bushido? Are they considered to be prophets? How about Allah, Apollo, Athena, Aries, Zeus, Hercules, Shiva, Brahama, and Vishnu, are they not real?

It is largely acknowledged by people who study the Bible that many books in the First (Old) Testament were written by men called prophets (although some prophets told the future, the term prophet as it is used in the Bible refers to someone who faithfully wrote down what was communicated to them by God). Some books were not written prophets. The book of Psalms were written by King David, Ecclesiastes was written by King Solomon.I think that you don't know much about the Bible, at least that is the impression I get when I read what I perceive as a very sarcastic ( but not very intelligent) response. And yes, Moses did write a large portion of the first 5 books of the Bible, commonly called the Pentateuch.

The Bible wasn't written by anyone but the Church seeking some claim to fame. I don't think the Church could really record what Jesus was saying, in AD, when you had to be in Nobility in the Roman Empire to know how to read/write. But seeing as Jesus was the son of God, he must've been a natural.

Why would a group of people write a bunch of fake books that would not only make them famous but make many people want to kill them? Jesus was not how a normal Jewish person of that time would have envisioned the Messiah. Many Jewish leaders not only wanted to kill members of the early church for blasphemy, they actually persecuted them and many were stoned to death. It certainly is not the kind of fame I would want, and I don't see that many people choosing to die for a few books that they made up.

It is 11:05 where I live so I must get log off and get some sleep. I will finish my post tomorrow.