Consciousness

jon

such a perfect disign our brain is. so perfect it questions its own existance. makes its own reality to live everynight. we really are THE PERFECT ROBOT.
just think we both are make from the universe, both runs off the energy given by the universe.
just think... a robot that can build a better robot that can build a better robot an so on. that is evolution...sooner or later the robot will be perfect. evolution is the struggle to be alive so you adapt to your enviornment and cope with your changes.weather it was an outside force or a living need for self inhancement.

jon

this is but a fraction of the creatures in the ocean....most have which have not been seen by the human eye.

if they do evolve...to the point of communication...how would our society handle this.
id think America would be the first to make the world a octopus friendly environment.lol

its like family guy...some dogs can talk, some cant...but there all treated like dogs

also religion would be angry i bet

StarLord

So, what drives consciousness beyond it's own limits? The lack of something one feels is missing or the common sense next step afforded by wisdom gained by our experiences?

StarLord

As opposed to what? A definition?A state of brain activity? Seems to me one is either conscious or unconscious. Think that a APA def.:ROFLMAO:
Consciousness as in insight brought on by past experience which allows one to pierce the smoke screen of another persons nonsense. Awareness. Have you ever encountered a child that you swore was an Old Soul? If so what were the indications of that?

Rosco..Jones

ij5f7uRDVsn2MA6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
Here's a little different view on the nature of consciousness.

Stuart Hameroff @Center for Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona
Are life and consciousness connected to the fundamental level of reality?

Consciousness defines our existence and reality, but the mechanism by which
the brain generates thoughts and feelings remains unknown.
Most explanations portray the brain as a computer, with nerve cells ("neurons") and their synaptic connections acting as simple switches. However computation alone cannot explain why we have feelings and awareness, an "inner life."
We also don't know if our conscious perceptions accurately portray the external world. At its base, the universe follows the seemingly bizarre and paradoxical laws of quantum mechanics, with particles being in multiple places
spacer.gif
simultaneously, connected over distance, and with time not existing. But the “classical” world we perceive is definite, with a flow of time. The boundary or edge (quantum state reduction, or ‘collapse of the wave function”) between the quantum and classical worlds somehow involves consciousness.*
I spent twenty years studying how computer-like structures called microtubules inside neurons and other cells could process information related to consciousness. But when I read The emperor’s new mind by Sir Roger Penrose in 1991 I realized that consciousness may be a specific process on the edge between the quantum and classical worlds. Roger and I teamed up to develop a theory of consciousness based on quantum computation in microtubules within neurons. Roger’s mechanism for an objective threshold for quantum state reduction connects us to the most basic, “funda-mental” level of the universe at the Planck scale, and is called objective reduction (OR). Our suggestion for biological feedback to microtubule quantum states is orchestration (Orch), hence our model is called orchestrated objective reduction, Orch OR.
In recent years I have considered that such a connection to the basic proto-conscious level of reality where Platonic values are embedded is strikingly similar to Buddhist and other spiritual concepts.
_________________________________________________________________________________
*This involves how thoughts are initiated. Neurons are set at a state ready to fire, but what is it that triggers their firing? This is similar to a radioactive nucleus waiting to fission. Prior to either event occurring, they both exist as a probability wave function. Either event takes place only when the wave function collapses. Regarding the neuron, what initiates this event? Our thoughts are not the result of random probabilities. My view as this is caused by a non-physical source. That source would be the interaction between our ego/soul and the physical structure of our brain. In other words, the physical brain acts as a receiver for the non-physical side of our identities. At least, that is my view. Rosco

Bonus Item: Do gorillas feel empathy? http://deafness.about.com/gi/o.htm?...&f=10&tt=2&bt=0&bts=1&zu=http://www.koko.org/

StarLord

It may very well be crucial in attempting to put all of this into perspective, to have the concept that we, all living creatures throughout the cosmos, do not "have a Soul" . We ARE Soul. It makes a very big difference in understanding the connection between the waking state, the dream state, the Quantum state and the Physical state here in the physical worlds.

It has been said that : "The Brain is an excellent tool but a very poor Master". It's an awesome adding machine, repository for memories, recipes, telephone numbers, etc.... But, like a computer does not work by itself. Until a program is put in / programmed, it will just sit there. The "programming" that actuates the brain's response is caused by the volition, attention and reaction of Soul, our awareness and consciousness. I won't sear that it's 100 % true, but I seem to remember reading from several sources that the Pineal Gland is supposed to be the seat of Soul.