Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Zoomerz

Re: Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

okeedokers here you go. even though this is a stupid hippy song, it's still cool.
STUPID HIPPY SONG????? STUP$#Ww*%$#($#q????

I resemble that remark!

Z-

Crosstika

Crosstika,

Kent State was a major event of the anti-war movement of the late 1960's. Here's a song by Neil Young, performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young about the event. Has some relavence today, or some day soon. I found a link with lyrics and guitar chords at ultimate-guitar.com (in case you played the guitar). Apparently the boys down at ultimate-guitar don't show much respect for their elders, but find the song "cool" Good question. What's Kent State?

Cary

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/y/youn...in_ohio_crd.htm

Thanks for the link CaryP. I've never heard that song , I don't think. I like 60's rock so I'll have to check it out.

CaryP

STUPID HIPPY SONG????? STUP$#Ww*%$#($#q????

I resemble that remark!

Z-

LOL Zoomerz! I had the same reaction when I read the disrespectful commentary about the "stupid hippy song" and the Kent State "thingy" Oh man, are these the kids who are supposed to take care of our generation in the next generation? Why do I feel like the Disciplinarian in "The Breakfast Club"? LOL

Cary

Zoomerz

heheh, actually, they'll have their hands fully figuring out how to disable RFID and won't have time to take care of anybody :)

Z-

Harte

... He has shown that he will take oldfashioned populist "America First" positions when he thinks it will get the votes of people who are frustrated with foreign animosity, but join in what they call the International Community when he needs to satisfy the big criminal corporations who operate outside the reach of our tax and environment laws...

... I call him an opportunist. Slimy....Z-

Finally you guys are getting it. It's not ego, it's not greed, it's not liberalism, it's not conservatism, it's not oil, it's not the environment, it's not civil rights, it's not states rights, it's not the right to life, it's not choice, it's not the poor, it's not the rich, it's not school lunch, it's not busing, it's not peace in our time, it's not "Remember the Maine!".

It is votes and only votes that motivates the actions of politicians. If you want to predict the actions of a politician, examine who bought his votes.

Every position that results in vote-getting will be taken by some politician. Including Paul J. Lyon, if he runs.

The Schaivo case illustrates the Conservatives occupying a vote-getting position. Note that the Feds didn't try anything until it was apparent that they could possibly add to their constituency with little effort on their part. It was also an opportunity to get Dem.'s soundbites on the subject for use in political ads to be shown in targeted areas in the next election cycle.

The Democrats do the same thing. As many of you state, there is no real difference in the two. I go one step farther and say there is little difference between any existing or future political parties. Paul, if you are elected Prez. you will resign. You would not want to do what this country makes you do to maintain that office.

A great politician is one that can take positions that are in some ways self-countering and do this without the public noticing. Please note I use the word "great" here as descriptive of political ability only.

I was born in 1956 and I can't remember any lifelong politician that was not an opportunistic slimeball by some definition of the term.

StarLord

Right off the bat, a phrase from Rooster Cogburn comes to mind,
"Fill Your Fist Pilgrim!!"

You may wish to go back and read everything Paul has posted. Your opinion and assumption may be hasty.

Zoomerz

It is votes and only votes that motivates the actions of politicians. If you want to predict the actions of a politician, examine who bought his votes.
The only way I can see to remove special interest (and take back the country!) is to put the elections process under the direct control of the American people. I've made this case several times on this and other boards, that we need a level, defined playing field for selecting our leadership.

Somehow, this process needs to be under the direct control of voters, and not administered by any of the current 3 branches. I don't have all the answers, but I think it's doable.

Every position that results in vote-getting will be taken by some politician. Including Paul J. Lyon, if he runs.
Somehow I doubt that. You may be right that Paul could never win under the current system, but (MHO) Paul is extremely passionate about his positions, and I personally couldn't see him changing positions to buy votes for anything.

I was born in 1956 and I can't remember any lifelong politician that was not an opportunistic slimeball by some definition of the term.
While I would agree that no politician ever succeeded without understanding the political playing field, I do think we have had leaders in our time (I was born in 1953, so similar to you) that had vision, purpose, and altruistic goals for their time in office.

Some very good points Harte! Tks...

Z-

Eutychus

Crosstika,

Kent State was a major event of the anti-war movement of the late 1960's. Here's a song by Neil Young, performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young about the event. Has some relavence today, or some day soon. I found a link with lyrics and guitar chords at ultimate-guitar.com (in case you played the guitar). Apparently the boys down at ultimate-guitar don't show much respect for their elders, but find the song "cool" Good question. What's Kent State?

Cary

Cary, I won't defend the killing of the students who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, not even part of the demonstration, but the folks living in this area at the time were really worried about the radical fringe element in place at KSU. I was ten and didn't much care about any of it, but in the years that followed, and even recently, I spoke to some old timers from Mantua, a town perhaps two towns removed from Kent, who were worried because of threats made to them and other business owners in Kent. "We're going to burn your businesses down" came the words from Kent students who disagreed with these folks over the subject of Viet Nam. It wasn't as black and white as history or Neil Young like to paint the event. There were threats made and a very real fear that the college kids would do something stupid to Kent and the surrounding "God-fearing, country loving" redneck communities.

CaryP

Cary, I won't defend the killing of the students who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, not even part of the demonstration, but the folks living in this area at the time were really worried about the radical fringe element in place at KSU. I was ten and didn't much care about any of it, but in the years that followed, and even recently, I spoke to some old timers from Mantua, a town perhaps two towns removed from Kent, who were worried because of threats made to them and other business owners in Kent. "We're going to burn your businesses down" came the words from Kent students who disagreed with these folks over the subject of Viet Nam. It wasn't as black and white as history or Neil Young like to paint the event. There were threats made and a very real fear that the college kids would do something stupid to Kent and the surrounding "God-fearing, country loving" redneck communities.

Eutychus,

I'm sure that the towns people in nearby towns were scared. They all kinds of "radical" groups back then - the Weathermen, Black Panthers, Students for a Democratic Society, etc. People were mad because Nixon secretly authorized the bombing of Camboida and the news got out. If memory serves at least two innocent (non-protestors) students were killed. One of the students killed was in the ROTC, and was on his way to or from picking up his uniform. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Kent State event was a demonstration of excessive force used. Here's a link to a recounting of the incident. The article is almost 10 yrs. old.

http://www.spectacle.org/595/kent.html

No problems with me bud. We may have different views on the historical event, and that's cool here.

Cary

Timmy G

A reservoir of rage exists in each person, waiting to burst out. We fantasize about killing or humiliating our boss or the guy who took our parking space. It is only by growing up in a civilized society of law that we learn the idea of proportionate response.