Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Darkwolf

Re: Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Reguardless of the right and wrong of the case, it is not a federal matter, except perhaps for the supreme court. It should be decided in Flordia. Once the precident of congress interveaning in local matters is set its not going to be the last time.

PyRo99

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Darkwolf\")</div>
Reguardless of the right and wrong of the case, it is not a federal matter, except perhaps for the supreme court. It should be decided in Flordia. Once the precident of congress interveaning in local matters is set its not going to be the last time.[/b]

Agreed; If you open the door they will come through.

And It would only be a matter of time before they took over the courts as well.

I'm starting to think the US Constitution isn't the Supreme Law of the Land...

And Dorthy's way of going home won't happen...

sosuemetoo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Eutychus\")</div>
Sue, I very much agree with your thoughts. Did her husband articulate her \"wishes\" from the get go or did he start saying Terri wouldn't want to live like this only after he had retained a right to die attorney? [/b]

Very good point Eutychus. Her husband said nothing until 8 years later that Terri's desire was to die.

Now, if this first hand account is true... someone needs to step in to save this woman's life. I don't care if it's the Feds or the President.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread21336/pg2 It's the 4th post from the bottom and she is a reputable poster.

I HAVE FIRSTHAND KNOWLEGE OF THIS CASE

In 1996-I was a Primary Care Nurse at Palms of Largo, where Terri was my (our) patient. Her room was directly across from the Nurse's station. I was told that she had a \"stroke\".

I read her file, and immediatley noticed two things, she had had a heart attack caused by low potassium, and how young she really was.

Terri's t.v. was kept on 24/7. When you entered the room, she turned toward you. Having given this Woman bed baths myself, I can tell you she would follow me with her eyes, and gurggle. She also cries, when she has her \"Period\" (Mensus). She has her period because that ba$tard Michael would not let us give her birth control pills to stop her period(s).

She is NOT in a coma, she is in a \"persistant vegetative-like state\". She was aware (one of the reasons her t.v. was on 24/7 was for stimulation. It is also a fact that during the fight between her parents & Michael, the t.v. was turned off. I have first hand knowlege of this.
flaming.gif

Let me tell you about Michael:

>he would come to visit his wife with his girlfriend, they would immediately shut the door to her room. Myself, and the other Nursing professionals, would find 1000 different reasons to have to be in the room, while they were there. Believe it or not, the girlfriend was actually nicer.

>we wanted to take Terri to the beauty parlor in Palms. Michael refused to let us. I gave Terri \"shampoos\" in bed, with an inflatable head guard. Another nurse put chap-stick, and some make-up on Terri that her parents had left for her. When Michael arrived, (with the girlfriend, of corse-he NEVER came without her) he raised so much he!! about Terri wearing make-up, the other Nurse was written-up.

>I was on staff one night when Terri displayed the symptoms of a Urinary Tract infection. The danger was the Urine backing up into Terri's kidneys. My friend, and co-worker Mya called Michael, to tell him we were getting Terri some sulfates, to counteract the infection. Michael said, and I quote \"Isn't that Bitch ever going to die?\", to my friend Mya, on the phone.

>the unspoken bit about us going into Terri's room when Michael & girlfriend were there, was a few times after Michael left, (after having the door closed) we would come in the room, and Terri would be crying.

>we didn't know if Terri could swallow & eat, we had staff that BEGGED to give her jello, or liquids off of a spoon, and Terri's husband (then a CNA student-that's certified nursing asst.-refused to let us.) Terri had a feeding tube for ONE reason, because she was in a nursing home & it was more convient.

>Terri was moved, without notice, from Palms at 6:30am one morning & moved to Hospice, where she still sits.

NO, I have not been asked to testify at any of the hearings, even though both sides Atty's have my information.

>All the money awarded to Michael (actually Terri) is gone. NOT ONE PENNY WENT FOR \"REHAB\", NOT ONE. Michael invested it in his construction company.

Michael now has two children with his Mistress. He refuses to turn his wife over to her parents, he refuses to divorce her.

My opinion? This control-freak-bastard (who was abusive during their marriage) , is trying to kill her, be the \"widower\", and collect her social security & other benefits.

This man is an attempted Murder.

In 1996-Terri had a good chance.....now? Who knows. The pr! won't let her parents see her.

sosuemetoo

Reguardless of the right and wrong of the case, it is not a federal matter, except perhaps for the supreme court. It should be decided in Flordia. Once the precident of congress interveaning in local matters is set its not going to be the last time.[/b]

Dark,
Normally I would agree with you. The states have the right to set their own laws and they shouldn't be overridden by the feds.

However, this is a matter of life and death. This isn't about what a speed limit should be, levying of taxes, or if jaywalking should be illegal. Life is a federal right given to us in the constitution. This isn't a case of when life begins or medical death (as in if the heart is beating and the person is on a respirator) This person is not in a coma or on life support. Just a tube that is feeding her.

In the end the state or fed government should not HAVE to intervene. This is all common sense. You don't starve your spouse to death.

Crosstika

Oh, the irony.. I think this just proves bush could give two ****s about the woman and are using her to push there BS .

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...article?AID=/20...

According to doctors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., 60 percent of the wounded soldiers coming back from Iraq have traumatic brain injuries.

Unfortunately, the Bush administration has recently completely zeroed out funding for the Federal TBI Act, which provides exactly this kind of help.

In Vermont, due to recent decisions concerning budgetary shortfalls, TBI survivors are now prevented from entering the Vermont TBI Medicaid Waiver Program, which delivers exactly this kind of help.

Please call the governor (802) 828-3345 and our congressional representatives and ask them to support the Vermont TBI Medicaid Waiver Program.

Crosstika

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"sosuemetoo\")</div>
Now, if this first hand account is true... someone needs to step in to save this woman's life. I don't care if it's the Feds or the President.

[/b]

I think if we start letting george bush dictate our medical procedures and breaking our laws, we'd be submitting to tyranny.

Darkwolf

However, this is a matter of life and death. This isn't about what a speed limit should be, levying of taxes, or if jaywalking should be illegal. Life is a federal right given to us in the constitution. This isn't a case of when life begins or medical death (as in if the heart is beating and the person is on a respirator) This person is not in a coma or on life support. Just a tube that is feeding her.
This is precisely the kind of emotionally charged issue that has gotten the noses of so many camels under so many tents. I find it quite suspicious that its causing such an uproar now, and the family connections between those pushing the agenda are a little too convienient. Once they've set that precident, they can start throwing their weight around on issues that aren't life and death. The feds have way too much power already, allowing them more is not a good idea reguardless of the circumstance. I know this sounds cold, but life or death or not we have to look at the bigger picture. The constitutional seperation of powers must be maintained, that is more important than the life of any one person.

Now the supreme court does have the right to rule on the case. If there is to be any federal interferance they are the only legitimate source of it.

Judge Bean

Supreme Court involvement in this case would not necessarily be an interference, but any Congressional or Executive action about it is definitely interference and a dangerous, alarming new kind of federalism.

When Ashcroft was leaving office, he took one last pot shot at the Constitutional structure of state and federal powers and ordered an appeal to proceed challenging Oregon's right to die law. Mind you, this is after federal court involvement upholding Oregon's clear right to pass a law in an area not preempted by federal law.

Ashcroft had previously attempted to get the physician's licenses revoked for doctors who had complied with the state law in practicing in Oregon.

The lines are clearly being crossed, violated. The violators are federal officials, not the courts. They are attempting to enforce federal dominance over state and local law.

sosuemetoo

Now the supreme court does have the right to rule on the case. If there is to be any federal interferance they are the only legitimate source of it.[/b]

Dark, we may both get our wish. I just heard on the news (haven't found the link) that Terri's family just has filed with the Supreme Court. The Court has not said whether or not they will hear arguments.

QuantumLeap

This is a sad case indeed. Whatever happen to "For better or for worse?" I see this on the news every morning and I feel bad for this Lady. What a husband. Jerk.