Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

vinny

Re: Could this be the rift that starts the civil war?

Very sad situation. I come down on the husbands side though. Artificial measures are only prolonging a dying process. I've had a mother die of a disease similar to Lou Gerhrigs and a father of altzheimers. It often seems that no matter which way you decide you loose. I doubt that this is going to start a civil war though.

Eutychus

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"vinny\")</div>
Very sad situation. I come down on the husbands side though. Artificial measures are only prolonging a dying process.[/b]

What measures are artificial here, Vinny? Her heart beats on its own, she breathes on her own, there are lines on the EEG paper. The feeding tube is a convenient means for the hospice people to feed her. For all we know, she might be capable of being fed meals with utensils but the feeding tube cuts down on the work load for the hospice folks.

Crosstika

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Darkwolf\")</div>
It very well could do just that. That would probably lead to a crackdown and a nationwide hunt for \"militia nuts\" and \"right wing domestic terrorists\" which leads to retaliation and so forth. Unfortunatly congress suceeding in sticking it's nose where it doesn't belong could lead to the same thing. This situation is definatly another match tossed in the direction of the gas can.[/b]

YEs sir, very true. I don't how most people view this situation but it seems like a turning point to me, a point where the federal government shows it's true self. I think this is gonna cause some friction...

Crosstika

Call me crazy but I think congress is gonna get it's way...

[/B]maged woman's case to be reviewed by federal courts that could restore her feeding tube. Opposition waned after House leaders agreed to give up broader legislation and accept a narrowly crafted bill that applied only to Schiavo's case.

The Senate convened briefly Saturday evening to give formal permission for the House to meet Sunday, when it otherwise would be adjourned for the Easter recess.

The plan is for the House to act on the two-page bill Sunday or just after midnight Monday morning. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said the Senate then would act on the House legislation, assuming it passes the House as envisioned, and rush the bill to the president for signature into law.

"We should investigate every avenue before we take the life of a living human being," said House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas. "That's the very least we can do for her."

Schiavo's husband, Michael, who has fought her parents in court for years to have the feeding tube removed, urged Congress to stay out of the matter, saying he is just trying to carry out his wife's wishes.

Lawyers for Schiavo's husband urged Congress to stay out of the matter. "This case has been adjudicated, and to overrule the judiciary is an absolute crime," attorney Hamden Baskin III told CNN on Saturday.

The measure would effectively take Schiavo's fate out of Florida state courts, where judges ordered the feeding tube removed on Friday, and allow Schiavo's parents to take their case to a federal judge. DeLay said that would likely mean restoration of the feeding tube "for as long as this appeal endures."

"We're elated primarily that they put politics to one side, and they're concentrating on the issue of saving Terri's life," Schiavo's father, Bob Schindler, said late Saturday.

Randall Terry, an anti-abortion activist who is acting as a Schindler family spokesman, said the parents also were concerned about the tight security in their daughter's room, which includes a police officer standing guard.

"They are so determined to kill her that they don't want mom or dad to even put an ice chip in her mouth," Terry said.

Passage of the measure would require the presence of only a handful of lawmakers. Congress is on its spring recess, making it more difficult to locate lawmakers.

Rep. Robert Wexler (news, bio, voting record), D-Fla., issued a statement late Saturday saying he will make an objection that would stop the vote Sunday. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (news, bio, voting record), D-Ore., said he was trying to gather enough votes to defeat the bill Monday.

"This bill would have the federal government intrude into the most private, personal and painful family decision," Blumenauer said. "What people need to think about is how would they feel if Tom DeLay or some other politician decided to second-guess your doctor, or your husband."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...n_damaged_woman

JediStryker

Back in the day, a couple of southern states didn't want black people to be allowed to attend their public schools and institutions. The federal government stepped in and enforced it's will on the state. That did not start a civil war. I doubt that this will either.

Judge Bean

Entirely different kind of situation. Back in the day, some States sported an evil array of racist laws resulting in segregated schools-- that is to say, schools which provided, at public expense, deliberately inferior education to some students based on race.

This obnoxious public policy and set of laws was deemed by the Court to be contrary to the overall shared system of law among and between the States, because of the doctrine of full faith and credit among other things, but primarily because it violated the civil rights of one group and did so with the tacit approval of the American people. So the Court ordered it stopped as unconstitutional.

In the present case, the States have exercised the rights reserved to them in the Constitution to pass laws pertaining to the welfare of their citizens, and the federal government seeks to intervene and impose its will. The will of the people can be expressed in different ways, but, in this case, the will of the government is imposed upon us.

You may argue that the will of the people in certain Sourthern States in the 1950s was that the State and federal governments should permit racist laws, but a close study of the situation would reveal that the majority of Southerners or residents of places such as Little Rock preferred not to be burdened with illogical and painfully obsolete laws intended to thwart the regular civil rights of citizens.

P.S. I thought Bo Gritz was dead.

StarLord

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"CaryP\")</div>
I'm no legal scholar, but giving the woman something to \"put her down\" may be considered homicide. Starvation may not be pretty but it is an alternative. My father was dying of inoperable cancer, and this is the route he chose to end his life. He was very Catholic and wouldn't consider suicide. He ordered that all tube feedings and intraveinous feedings stopped. He couldn't eat because of blockages in his intestines. He slowly starved to death over about a two week period. Very painful to watch, but it ended his life, of pain, morphine addiction (for the pain) and debilitation. Good choice IMO.

Cary[/b]

Cary I think you are missing my point. Let us leave all the 'legal' and 'rightful' part out of it. If a person, of themself, decided to finish it, Starving them to death is just as much a way of dieing as is a lethal injection while asleep(knocked out). The difference is 13 days less the inforced indignity and mental anguish for the living /surviving family members. Watching someone you love waste away day by day as they starve to death makes absolutely no sense to me. It's a sick, barbaric, outmoded solution.

Darkwolf

Sure is, hey, he didn't take up farming did he?? Scary to hang one's hopes on the editorial staff for Soldier of Fortune.