DARPA question.

SergiusPaulus

Can an electromagnet repel metal? If so could a ship repel an anti ship missile with an electromagnet. Same with a tank on the battlefield? Could that magnet redirect the object being fired at them, like a defensive tool?

Can you propel a bullet or larger object like a tank round using electromagnet instead of gunpowder....like a slingshot? Imagine weapons not making a booming sound of propellant. Or launch a small vehicle?

I imagine getting the magnet fired up at maximum power before releasing the object.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
The answer is yes if the metal conducts electrons. But the strength of the magnetic fields required are beyond the upper limit of our technology.

SergiusPaulus

Can electromagnet affect communication like WiFi or radio or radar signals? Can it boost signal or distort it?

SergiusPaulus

I was reading on internet that electromagnet can make a bullet tumble in flight but bullet still hits target. If u make a missile tumble maybe it would redirect its path thus possibly protecting target.

Beholder

Can an electromagnet repel metal? If so could a ship repel an anti ship missile with an electromagnet. Same with a tank on the battlefield? Could that magnet redirect the object being fired at them, like a defensive tool?

Can you propel a bullet or larger object like a tank round using electromagnet instead of gunpowder....like a slingshot? Imagine weapons not making a booming sound of propellant. Or launch a small vehicle?

I imagine getting the magnet fired up at maximum power before releasing the object.
Just like lasers are easy to reflect using mirrors and lightning can be diverted using a rod, a super strong magnet shield would easily be bypassed using stone or wolfram projectiles.

Radiowaves are electromagnetic waves at high frequencies. Just connect a long wire to + or - in pulses without draining and the electric charge will radiate as waves. Getting the signal just requires reading the voltage of an ungrounded cable and filtering out other frequencies using a band-pass filter of capacitors. But you need a license to send on restricted frequencies and jamming is usually not allowed for civilians.

The parabolic metal lid of a cooking pot can be used to focus radiowaves, which is how I share Wifi between cabins during summers.

A strong EMP might be able to fry the circuits of an incomming missile, but first it would destroy your own missile defence system.

Last edited:

SergiusPaulus

Okay smaller scale, say a BB gun. If the propellant was an electromagnet instead of CO2 or air pumped, how far could it propel a BB? Then scale up from there.

SergiusPaulus

Ah. Yep. Navy uses EM for their rail gun. Seems they could apply it to tanks and artillery on the battlefield for maybe longer range