DC again

HDRKID

TAKEN FROM High-Voltage DC Breakthrough Could Boost Renewable Energy

"But advances in transformer technology ultimately made it possible to transmit DC at higher voltages. The advantages of HVDC then became readily apparent. Compared to AC, HVDC is more efficient—a thousand-mile HVDC line carrying thousands of megawatts might lose 6 to 8 percent of its power, compared to 12 to 25 percent for a similar AC line. And HVDC would require fewer lines along a route. That made it better suited to places where electricity must be transmitted extraordinarily long distances from power plants to urban areas. It also is more efficient for underwater electricity transmission."

6% vs 25% that is major in a 1000 mile long transmission line. I see a bright future for this technology. John Titor said that in 2036 people were using 12V DC instead of 115V AC and I did wonder why, but this could be the answer.

02/19/01 16:01 (about the future) 449
((18.) How is electricity generated in 2036' ))
'Most' publicly generated power is through very efficient solar cells. On a local or household level, there is steam, hydro and inversion generation. There is a debate on using a singularity to generate power.

02/05/01 11:28 (about the future) 276
From the age of 8 to 12, we lived away from the cities and spent most of our time in a farm community with other families avoiding conflict with the federal police and national guard. By that time, it was pretty clear that we were not going back to what we had and the division between the 'cities' and the 'country' was well defined. My father made a living by putting together 12-volt electrical systems and sailing 'commodities' up and down the coast of Florida. I spent most of my time helping him.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
I may have to give that Titor guy a spot on hit for this one but we'll see how it turns out