Deer Fly Bites

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
THIS medical advice I will allow!

How do you get rid of the severe itching of Deer Fly bites?

Yes, I made the mistake of going out in my yard with shorts on. Even bug repellents don't help. These things LOVE legs.
The bites are horrible.

I was up all night scratching. It's like someone is poking a needle into you. Antihistamines, lidocaine, cortisone, Blue Star -- don't do a darn thing. I'm really doubting calamine will work because in the past, it never helped mosquito bites.

Does anyone know of a miraculous itch cure for these nasty bites? Ice helps for a few mins. It's a nice relief, but as soon as you warm up, the itch is back.

These things itch for 2 weeks straight!

AAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH I want to chop off my legs.

TimeFlipper

There is a list on the internet that might be of use to you for stopping itching Paula, which includes Baking Soda, Lemon and rind juice of the lemon, Rosemary, Salt....Diprobase is very good for stopping itchiness, iam lucky and get it free for Eczema....The reason i dont use any of the other household remedies is because they make my skin very dry....Try out that Calomine Lotion that you spoke about Paula, it helped me out over 50 years ago when my face was swollen and itching from an allergic reaction that some cheap orange juice created!! :mad:..

In the past i have used what we call in the UK as, "Dock Leaves", which are very good for nettle stings, my parents used to use Tincture Of Iodine which was very good for all sorts of skin problems...Infact, i have recently ordered some tincture of iodine from Ebay, which i will be using to try and get rid of those non cancerous types of little lumps that get on peoples faces....You can also find Iodine in "Sea Kelp" too, if that is of any help to you Paula :)...

Good luck to you Paula, i hope you get swift relief from all the itching(y)...

Mayhem

Zenith
Eluephrat , i use it for Eczema.

Betamethasone Dipropionate.

Kairos

I grew up in Florida. The best advice I can tell you is to avoid exposing your skin to them in the late afternoon and early evening. You live in Florida now. There are certain times of the day during certain days of the year that you simply don't do certain things.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I grew up in Florida. The best advice I can tell you is to avoid exposing your skin to them in the late afternoon and early evening. You live in Florida now. There are certain times of the day during certain days of the year that you simply don't do certain things.

I just have to wear long sleeves and and pants. I thought I could run out really quick in shorts but I was wrong.
I'm not hiding inside. It's too pretty out there.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
There is a list on the internet that might be of use to you for stopping itching Paula, which includes Baking Soda, Lemon and rind juice of the lemon, Rosemary, Salt....Diprobase is very good for stopping itchiness, iam lucky and get it free for Eczema....The reason i dont use any of the other household remedies is because they make my skin very dry....Try out that Calomine Lotion that you spoke about Paula, it helped me out over 50 years ago when my face was swollen and itching from an allergic reaction that some cheap orange juice created!! :mad:..

In the past i have used what we call in the UK as, "Dock Leaves", which are very good for nettle stings, my parents used to use Tincture Of Iodine which was very good for all sorts of skin problems...Infact, i have recently ordered some tincture of iodine from Ebay, which i will be using to try and get rid of those non cancerous types of little lumps that get on peoples faces....You can also find Iodine in "Sea Kelp" too, if that is of any help to you Paula :)...

Good luck to you Paula, i hope you get swift relief from all the itching(y)...

I hate google. Too much info and I prefer real interaction with people. Most of those don't work. I didn't bother with calamine because it has NEVER, EVER in my life worked for anything.

Today I tried:

Baking soda, desitin, my son's eczema cream, and head and shoulders.

Fail.

lol. I have not tried the lemon, yet. I don't know what diprobase is.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
My solution is prevention.

If I have to go outside for more than 2 minutes (like going to the car), I wear long sleeves, long pants, and a net over my head. I wear gloves in the woods. Problem is: mosquitoes bite through clothing........ BUT their bites' itch lasts one day. MUCH better than those nasty deer fly bites.
So, prevention helps...... and mosquito-proof clothing is way too expensive.

Never found a "cure" for deer fly bite itch, so I now just cover up even if it is 97 outside.

The advice given to me by ex mother in law, that works for hornets as well...

Should be applied right after incident.

A patch of baking soda and a little water (more baking soda than water. Make it into a paste).

Helps to draw any venom out (like with hornets).

You can still try it. Deer flies aren't like a hornet (yellow jackets).

In the woods or country I usually take the precaution of wearing full pants and full arm length shirts when working outside.

Ps. Poison ivy has the shiniest leaves you will ever see! Steer clear of shiny plants in the woods!

Poison nettle is something different. You feel it before you see it. It's leaves are very dull, but have sharp spikes at the end of the leaves! Feel something odd? Move away from it. Lol. :)

Hear something odd? Wait for a second. It may be a deer!

If it's a bear? Run literally straight down hill. They can't run straight down hill because of their hind legs. Lol.

Truth.

Oh. If a snake pops up in stream your walking. Just calmly walk the other way.

Have experienced all of these, except the bear. He only invaded a house next door because he was hungry. The owners left, like anyone would. Lol.

Pss. Do not scale (climb) shale rock. It will give way. If rock looks unstable, it is.

All life (since childhood) lessons living in the mountainous west.

Oh... And,if its evil people hunting you? You climb a tree. Higher than they can climb. Lololol (A life lesson given to me by own mother. Who made the hunger games a very important point in my lifes information to me, before she passed away of cancer. Taking all her secrets with her, despite my own attempt for her tell all to free her of any guilt).

She showed me this the other day through her spirit. Life isn't a sprint. It's a marathon. Start from where you're personally capable of.

Guidance given to me from the other side in heaven.

Last edited: