• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I didn't know too much water could be that bad for your body!

What are the symptoms? How did they find out it was water intoxication?
He passed out after throwing up alot and feeling very very weak. I've read the symptoms are very similar to heat exhaustion. He just depleted all of his sodium and they rushed him to the hospital and he was there for several days. It's was a few years ago but I remember he was down for a few weeks. He's a photographer & has to go out in the heat for shoots and after he was hospitalized, it was just too much. He was very weak for a while.

Sounds like he should replace a few of those waters with Gatorade. I hope he is ok now.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I was drinking a gallon of water for quite a while. I didn't know too much water could be detrimental to your health. But one day I got a small cut on a finger. It wouldn't stop bleeding. I would put pressure on it for a while. But it continued to leak. After about 6 hours I super glued the wound shut. That's when I decided I must be doing something that was creating this problem with my blood not clotting properly. I eat Kale 4 times a week. That vegetable is supposed to have lots of vitamin K which is supposed to promote blood clotting. I finally figured out that it was excessive water consumption that was causing the problem. I found some info that says you need to consume a quart of water for every 50lbs of body weight for optimal health. Within 3 days of cutting my water consumption down to 3 quarts of water a day, my blood clotting problem disappeared.

If you don't know how much water you consume daily, just get a graduated measuring cup and then measure the amount of water from all the various containers you drink from. Add it up and compare it to the recommended amount. All fluids count toward the recommended amount. People come in all sizes. So some people will need more water than others. And you may need to adjust the recommended amount up or down slightly depending on whether you are a very active or not so active type.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
@Einstein

Wow, with that calcuation, I am drinking close to half of what I should and I thought I was doing ok with my 8-10 glasses (64-80) ounces a day. It says I should be drinking about 119 ounces.

TnWatchdog

I didn't know too much water could be that bad for your body!

What are the symptoms? How did they find out it was water intoxication?
He passed out after throwing up alot and feeling very very weak. I've read the symptoms are very similar to heat exhaustion. He just depleted all of his sodium and they rushed him to the hospital and he was there for several days. It's was a few years ago but I remember he was down for a few weeks. He's a photographer & has to go out in the heat for shoots and after he was hospitalized, it was just too much. He was very weak for a while.

Sounds like he should replace a few of those waters with Gatorade. I hope he is ok now.
I work outside and will have up to five bottles of Gatorade, while working, to avoid leg cramps. Without the Gatorade I would have both legs cramp up at night making it very difficult to get up.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
@Einstein

Wow, with that calcuation, I am drinking close to half of what I should and I thought I was doing ok with my 8-10 glasses (64-80) ounces a day. It says I should be drinking about 119 ounces.

Lots of people think 2 quarts a day is all you need. Sure, you can get by on that. My ex wife had a health concern related to insufficient water consumption. She had swollen ankles. But her water consumption was much lower than normal. I had her drink a gallon of water for a week just to see if the swollen ankle problem would clear up. It did! For the first time in all the time I had known her, the swollen ankle problem was cured. But after the week, she went back to her old habits, and the swollen ankle problem returned.

Everybody has their optimal amount of fluid intake. You have to include the fluid content of the food you eat also. So I adjusted my optimal amount down about half a quart to account for that. So your optimal amount might be closer to 100 ounces. And make sure you do measure the amount of water your containers hold. I thought I was drinking from a 12 ounce glass, only to find out it was a 16 ounce glass.

Genius

King Ivan
I usually drink only one or two glasses of water per day. I know that I should drink more but I'm not really used to it. The drink that I drink a lot is beer.

Genius

King Ivan
Well not really... I usually don't get drunk from beer, unless the temperature outside is over 20°c and I drink more than 3 bottles. Plus I'm used to it. It may find it hard for you and many other people to believe, but I started drinking beer when I was only 2 years old !!

TnWatchdog

I usually drink only one or two glasses of water per day. I know that I should drink more but I'm not really used to it. The drink that I drink a lot is beer.
Beer is flavored water...a can of beer is mostly water...but I'm not saying it is a suitable substitute.
I indulge myself with flavored water once a week under a strict controlled experience. lol