External winter insulation during power chrisis

MODAT7

A heavy tarp would be a better choice than a tent and would last a lot longer. You'd need to build some kind of frame around the openings to hold it up. The main down side is blocking the view/light. Around here, what you're wanting would be called red neck storm windows/doors. There are also sheets of shrink wrap plastic that can be taped to the insides of windows to block air flow, and then heated up with a hair dryer to pull them tight.

Since political stupidity never goes away, something for spring would be planting thick wind blocking bushes around your dwelling in preparation for the next winter. Maybe add some "trash" type plants that are fast growing, easy to cut down, and can be burned in a power outage winter emergency. They may be ugly, but who cares when the cold hits you to the bone?

Beholder

A heavy tarp would be a better choice than a tent and would last a lot longer. You'd need to build some kind of frame around the openings to hold it up. The main down side is blocking the view/light. Around here, what you're wanting would be called red neck storm windows/doors. There are also sheets of shrink wrap plastic that can be taped to the insides of windows to block air flow, and then heated up with a hair dryer to pull them tight.

Since political stupidity never goes away, something for spring would be planting thick wind blocking bushes around your dwelling in preparation for the next winter. Maybe add some "trash" type plants that are fast growing, easy to cut down, and can be burned in a power outage winter emergency. They may be ugly, but who cares when the cold hits you to the bone?
Have a 300°C heatgun that can instantly melt plastic, but my neighbors might kick me out if I lower their property value any further. Not everyone shares my appreciation for uncut grass that can actually be pollinated, resilient flowers that belong to the area, moss that keeps cool during summer and bushes that grow in silent pain between concrete tiles.