Farenheit 9-11

Unintentional

Farenheit 9-11

I am a BIG Michael Moore fan, or I should say WAS. I have seen all his movies and read all his books. I liked them. I had no problem with them. They were entertaining and factual as far as I knew. He got booed at the Oscars and I thought, hey, that's his opinion, how dare you boo him!

This movie 9-11 is very disappointing. I expected a lot more from Michael Moore. He has said in his books that he doesn't like making movies or books. I think maybe that is what went wrong with this one.

1. It wasn't funny :(
2. It is chuck full of lies and half truths. Some statements are outright lies, some are distorted, and some are half truths. Now, in the past when there is an outright lie in one of his movies, he "documents" via film the person saying it, but in this film many of the lies are from his narration, so it left me perplexed why he would say such a thing. :(
3. Its even racist. A good portion of the criticism comes from Bush being good friends with the House of Saud. Apparently MM thinks that because most of the highjackers were Saudi, we are not allowed to have friends with the Sauds. That is like saying because a white guy stole my car, no one should have any white friends. :blink:
4. There was nothing new in this movie. If you even keep a mediocre attempt at keeping up with the news, there will be no shockers here. This movie is clearly aimed at the clueless, because anyone else would reject it in almost its entirety.

Another thing, if you saw the previews and liked how MM attacked the Patriot Act in the previews, the entire scene and all mentions of the patriot have been striped from the movie. That scene shown in the preview is NOT in the movie. No Chuck Rangel, no MM driving around in a panel truck broadcasting, "All legislatures who want me to read the patriot act to them please come here." Even his preview is a lie, because it does not preview the movie. There are also no prison abuse scenes in the movie either as hinted at in some interviews.

It is not for me to say you should or shouldn't see it. You can make up your own mind. It does make me really wonder why France gave it the Cannes File Award, and then I thought...oh...France. It either won there because the people who saw it are severely undereducated about current events or they just liked the way it attacked Bush.

I don't even see how someone who didn't like Bush would like this film. If you have a beef with the current administration, don't you want your criticisms to be factually based? This movie as a whole is as intelligent as a criticism as someone calling someone else a "poopy" head. (My 3 year old's favorite criticism of people he doesn't like.)

All in all, very disappointing. :(
(no rose on this one)
Time Travel Forum

HackimerRob

Farenheit 9-11

Hey John.

I have NOT seen the movie, and although I too enjoy Moore's work, I think the documentary about his book tour is his best, I don't think I'll be going to the movies to see this.

1) It's totally preaching to the choir, (granted I'm in the choir in a sense, but that's another thread)
2) You're very right. It's not going to tell someone who has been keeping up with reality anything they don't know. I know some folks that will benefit from it, but it's just as you say, these are the clueless folks. This movie will serve to further alienate the left from the right, and IMHO hopefully sway the uninformed undecided SH**P (got sentimental for a moment) to the left of the barnyard.
3) The two sections you speak of, the prison scenes and the patriot act stuff, I BELIEVE were in the movie when it showed at Cannes, and Moore has been sifting scenes around since then. Also, I wonder if the people splicing the movie together in movie theatres might not take a razor to some scene if they really disagreed with it. That would be horrible, but hey, this IS America, and that film guy would be evoking the first ammendment now, wouldn't he? (Paul?)

4) I'm not going to pay Michael Moore 10 bucks for this movie when there's SPIDERMAN 2 and a load of other hoopla I'd rather ingest on a hot summer sunday evening in a freezing cold movie theatre. Standing ovations or not, I'll wait for the dvd. And then I'll go in with two friends on the price of the rental.

He should be giving this movie away for free if he really means to upset the already unbalanced political spectrum in America, what he's doing is grandstanding. And I still haven't seen the thing.
I promise when I do, I'll report here.

Thanks

Unintentional

Farenheit 9-11

I don't want to get this board in any trouble, so I will not tell you here, but if you google Fahrenheit 911 there are tons of web pages that tell you exactly how to download it and watch it for free.
bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum

StarLord

Farenheit 9-11

I have to say that in his last movie Bowling for...,
When he did his crap with Charleton Heston, you could tell that poor Heston wasn't all there with age and what not. What sort of "victory" or point was worth making him look like that? All he did was make himself look cheap, stupid and all the more a fool.

As for this movie it is not a documentary, it just plain propaganda that points to craping on bush.

More mental pablum for the sheep.

Unintentional

Farenheit 9-11

Originally posted by Hackimer, Rob@Jun 29 2004, 08:41 PM
This movie will serve to further alienate the left from the right, and IMHO hopefully sway the uninformed undecided SH**P (got sentimental for a moment) to the left of the barnyard.
But if these uninformed see the movie, get all hyped up against Bush, find out the truth, I think they will jump to the right. There could be a backlash.
bluerosesmall.jpg

Time Travel Forum

CaryP

Farenheit 9-11

I am no fan of Michael Moore. He's been a nut case to me for about as long as I have known about him. I've never seen his movies or read his books, until now. I saw F9/11 on opening weekend, and I got to say Michael Moore may be a nut job, but everybody needs to see this movie. I keep up with most things going on in the world (financial and political primarily - it's my job) and there were a number of disturbing things in this movie I had never seen or heard of, most of them surrounding the 2000 elections. The Bush/bin Laden connection old news, but details in the movie were new. The conference on how to make money on the Iraq war/occupation - typical corporate greed. The inaugural motorcade footage was a surprise. I never knew that Bush's limo got pelted with eggs and they cancelled the traditional walk down Pennsylvania Ave. because there were so many protestors. The most shocking thing of the movie was the ratification of the 2000 election by Congress. According to the movie, it takes one signature from the House and one signature from the Senate on a written objection to object to the Electoral College results. The movie shows about 6 or 8 Reps. reading their petition of objection and NOT ONE MOTHER FREAKIN' SENATOR HAD THE BALLS TO SIGN ANY PETITION. If I had been a Senator, I would have signed the damned thing just to stir the controversy because everyone was apparently told to get in line and shut up. The irony of the whole surrealistic event (yes, the actual hearing is in the movie) is that Al Gore as President of the Senate presides over the hearing. He's the one that tells the Reps. that their petition is invalid because it doesn't have a signature from the Senate. I thought, "I can't believe that Wellstone from Michigan didn't sign any of these petitions." My wife later reminded me that he died in an "accidental" plane crash before the elections. What a damned shame.

The movie is well worth the admission price. From what I've heard, 2/3's of the proceeds (I'm sure it's the net, not gross) from the movie are going to charity, so not every dollar is going to line Michael Moore's pockets. And so what if he makes money off of the thing. It cost millions to make, not to mention a ton of time. Why shouldn't he be allowed to make some money from his efforts and the investors from the risk they took to finance the project? This is America, and profits are allowed. If the damned press were doing its job and doing a bit of investigative reporting, we wouldn't need some nut job like M. Moore to bring us the facts in a documentary. In case you were wondering, I've been a life long Republican (even voted for Dubya in last election - what a mistake!), so I'm not here as some chronic liberal beating the "fight the man!" drum.

Go see the damned movie, or get it off the web for free if that's your M.O. If I sound pissed, I am. The country's been hijacked and nobody seems to give a shlt.

Cary

Unintentional

Farenheit 9-11

It is interesting that for both of us, the election is what set the tone for the whole movie. What I didn't like is when that guy said, "In every single recount, no matter what the scenerio, Al Gore won this election."

That is an outright lie. The media did do a hand recount using 10 different standands. In eight of them Bush wins by anywhere from 10,000 to 53 votes. In two of them Al Gore wins by the biggest margin of about 200.

I figured at that point:
  • It being the beginning of the movie.
  • That story being 3.5 years old and he still didn't get it right.
  • This whole movie was going to follow in the same way.
  • I was right.
Here is a couple of other opinions:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5251769/site/newsweek?tl
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5335853/site/newsweek
There is another one in the Washington Post, but you need to susbscribe to their website to read it.

As far as downloading it goes, here is a taped interview where Michael Moore gives his permission.

Michael Moore Give Persmission To Download His Movie
It is about 0.5 megs. You can barely hear the questioners question, but you can hear his response plain as day. He doesn't care if you download it and share it.

A Story Related to That
?I don?t agree with the copyright laws, and I don?t have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people. As long as they?re not doing it to make a profit, you know, as long as they?re not trying to make a profit off my labor. I would oppose that.?-Michael Moore