First reaction to John Titor story

Fringan

I've just finished what I believe is the essential part of the John Titor debate, namely his own posts from johntitor.com and Dr. Robert Brown's calculations.

(One interesting thing though, is that Dr. Brown doesn't seem to teach classes in E&M as he claims in his reply to Titor. It seems like he is rather an expert in astronomy with focus on surfaces on planets and such, thus this kind of physics might not be his strongest side. I might be wrong, this is just the impression i got about him here)

My first thought after I had read a couple of John's posts about his device (J204?) and the newer one, the J206 I instantly wondered why they would use the older, inacurate device. Why not go a year forward in time or so and bring back a newer and better device or atleast blue prints of one? Hell, why not go as far in the future as i'ts safely possible and tell the guys there to go as far in the future as _they_ possibly can and have them bring back a 200 year or so newer device?

Also, Titors "mission" to 1975 to get that IBM5100.. I can't believe anyone would still believe him after reading that. There are probably toys like GameBoy that can emulate a 5100 today and it really wouldn't be a problem in 2036 to interpit the pre-DOS code.

However, I think Titor helped getting thoughts and theories when it comes to time traveling further. His postings and the following debate inspired me with some new ideas and knowledge. Perhaps Titor was one or a number of students conducting a social experiment. It would be a great idea to pull a hoax like this and to get to see how easily or hard it is to fool people believing in you.
In the posts where Titor reffered to politics it was almost always centered around the ongoing election and the American constitution. It gave me a feeling the story was also an attempt to make people more aware (to his ideas/political opinions).
When he answered questions like "Why are you writing this?" he several times answered that he wasn't "selling anything". On the contrary I think he was "selling" or reaching out to alot of people with his opinions of society and what he'd like the society to be like. I do not doubt many found some inspiration in his posts.

To make a long story short; I think Titor is a hoax but yet a somewhat important contributor to the TT relatred philosophies.

CaryP

Hey Frings,

Glad to see your post. I don't have a whit about JT's science or the motives behind his BBS postings. I have no idea if JT was one person or a multitude of persons. He could have said that TT was possible by chewing gum and rubbing your belly while patting your head, and I wouldn't have been able to tell, 'cause I can't do it all at the same time. At the same time, the boy had some insight into what was to come. I'm not claiming that he had a lock on all that was going to unfold from late 2000 and early 2001, into our current circumstance, but he had a pretty good idea. That's what had me fascinated with the whole thing. I would have never believed what he was saying back in 2000/2001 about the future of the American society, but it makes a hell of a lot of sense now. We'll soon find out if the boy was on to something.

Cary

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I think it's interesting that every time you flip on the news, you hear about something that can solidify JTs story more and more....

The more time passes and events unfold, the more it is conforming to everything he's told us.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Aug 29 2004, 09:29 PM
I think it's interesting that every time you flip on the news, you hear about something that can solidify JTs story more and more....

The more time passes and events unfold, the more it is conforming to everything he's told us.

The problem is that many of these things have been happening since long before Titor, and he could have put them together to forecast trends and classes of events. It would be even easier to do so if you were part of a group, each member assigned to different aspects to come up with plausible "scenarios."

That is in fact the Pentagon way of telling the future, and it now has the scenarios all computerized. For this reason, I think that it is highly probable that Titor is a government project, and every time his "predictions" come close, it confirms my suspicion.

CaryP

That is in fact the Pentagon way of telling the future, and it now has the scenarios all computerized. For this reason, I think that it is highly probable that Titor is a government project, and every time his \"predictions\" come close, it confirms my suspicion.

The man is definitely on to something here. Been having the same thoughts myself, lately.

Cary

Judge Bean

And remember that his primary concern, in the sense of the first thing he brought up in terms of his "mission," as well as the recurring theme of his posts, involved trying to find out whether anyone in the present time believed that a civil war was possible.

This to me smacks of the standard federal paranoia behind its more extreme investigations. I tend to think nowadays that the Titor project was a federal investigation. Perhaps Grayson can help us to understand the purpose of a "police" investigation into an event which has yet to transpire.

Think of the impending civil war as a single event which the government does not want to happen. It would want to prevent it, and root out the sources of its origin and instigation beforehand.

If my hunch is correct, it is almost the last thing I need to hear before concluding that the government has either lost its mind, or has lost its ability to win over or against its own people.

StarLord

I would have to agree with both Paul and Cary on this. At first take, the titor saga seems to have come from a very intelligent set of parameters based on worse case senarios from a very worried group of people in regards to our future.
A sort of "WHAT IF" and projections for that line of reasoning. There are too many loopholes in the book to be taken for real.

However, someone/many someones spent alot of quality time and effort to make this as seemless and not hard to swallow as possible in effort to hook the attention of the reader. As a longtime reader of Sci-Fi books, and such, one can detect differences from imput when a book has been co-authored. Some of those posts from titor logs bear that diference.

BTW, that 2% time line error was the icing on the cake, which opens up all kinds of holes for things unforseen to crawl through in either direction.

Cary has spoken of web bots/spiders that gleen information from the whole web and based on information gathered, profer predictions with a high proability of actuality.

The govt has had at it's beck and call imense computing power for quite some time. Having access to a CRAY or even one of the newer generation systems, one could provide some tasty tid bits of future doom senarios that would/could seem more than quite possible. It is not unfathomable that one of the alphabet dept have such systems with the aforementioned data pluged in and have it up and running. But, to what end? They have known for a very long time how to manipulate the masses to pretty much any corner they wish and have done so....."Duck & Cover" and various other instances.

Both the Eagle and the Bear have been playing tag with viral agents via air stream and or infected tourists for decades, watching news reports, CDC statistics and newspapers for statistics and results, all merely benign 'experments' at the common peoples cost (1,000's have died, but hey, it was some kind of flu thingy, so no big deal). Was this not a govt "coverup" of sorts in a proportion that makes the waco thing look like a kindergarden missing PBJ happening?

There is a saying, "The harder you look, the less you see" and on the side we all know how easy it is to see something while in reality, there is nothing.

Judge Bean

Originally posted by Paul J. Lyon@Aug 30 2004, 07:36 PM
And remember that his primary concern, in the sense of the first thing he brought up in terms of his \"mission,\" as well as the recurring theme of his posts, involved trying to find out whether anyone in the present time believed that a civil war was possible.

... I tend to think nowadays that the Titor project was a federal investigation ...into an event which has yet to transpire.

Think of the impending civil war as a single event which the government does not want to happen. It would want to prevent it, and root out the sources of its origin and instigation beforehand.

For the sake of argument, what would be the motive for the government to want to alert us now about a coming civil war?

On first look, it would seem foolhardy to tip off the regular people. On the other hand, it would be an excellent method for spotlighting the "troublemakers" ahead of time.

But this means that they do not know who the real troublemakers are, and need this clumsy device to find them. Perhaps the identities shift with the 2% margin.

Or they know full well who the troublemakers are, and seek to mislead them. Get them out in the open where they can be easily rounded up.

Get them out of the cities.

Fury

Originally posted by StarLord@Aug 30 2004, 03:11 PM
However, someone/many someones spent alot of quality time and effort to make this as seemless and not hard to swallow as possible in effort to hook the attention of the reader. As a longtime reader of Sci-Fi books, and such, one can detect differences from imput when a book has been co-authored. Some of those posts from titor logs bear that diference.

I think your just trying to sound smart.