Friction in an accelerator?

SergiusPaulus

Sure. I wasn’t implying to use gunpowder. But the same style of propulsion where the fastest speed is at the launch. Rather than a build up of speed.

SergiusPaulus

If time stops at speed of light wouldn’t the particle disappear or leave this spacetime when it reached light speed? Our spacetime would continue but the particle going speed of light time stops. ?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You are asking questions without known answers. Perhaps someday maybe you will be the one that develops experiments to determine those answers.

SergiusPaulus

Thank you.

I was raised on several science fiction programs growing up plus non Fiction like Nova and Cosmos with Carl Sagan. Star Trek Battlestar Galactica doctor Who and others. My Google feed gets fed articles about science which stirs up questions in my head. I’m not a science guru unfortunately so please forgive the elementary questions. I search the internet for some answers. If I don’t find any I may ask here for suggestions.

Harte

Instead of accelerating a particle can we create a launcher that has immediate high speed then slows down. A particle gun so to speak. Think of how a gun works. The gunpowder ignites and propels the bullet instantly. What could propel a particle at possibly a faster instant launch speed. I would think u would have less electromotive back force at the launch. How about a laser? Can a laser “push” a particle, or can a particle enter a laser beam and have the beam carry it at a high speed.
They use protons, which carry a charge.
The protons are accelerated electromagnetically. It's a very high acceleration rate.

A laser's "push" would be puny compared to that.

Harte

Harte

If time stops at speed of light wouldn’t the particle disappear or leave this spacetime when it reached light speed? Our spacetime would continue but the particle going speed of light time stops. ?
A particle that has a rest mass cannot achieve light speed.

Harte

Harte

Pushing with photons is basically what you are doing when you accelerate particles with electromagnetism.

Note the carrier of the electromagnetic force.

Harte