Future Humans Visit At Time Of Death

aimswanson

Future Humans Visit At Time Of Death

Future humans will visit/are visiting at the time of our passing. It truly is a passing on.

In the far future, humans will have overcome both death and time travel. Perhaps even in this century longevity will be commonplace and some may live to find themselves offered the opportunity to live on indefinitely.

These fortunate humans will not worry about death or debilitating disease. They will continue to grow and learn. Their abilities will increase and the puzzling issues of physics will be worked out in universities and laboratories.

Time travel will be invented and used frequently to travel into the past. Future travel will remain speculative and far too risky to attempt. The curiosity about the past will fill data libraries with accurate past information.

Eventually a way will be found to remove individuals at the point of their death via exact copies or leaving cloned bodies behind with the "real" individual rescued and revived. Age reversal techniques will be used to bring the individual into the level of health expected at the time of rescue. These individuals could be placed on previously terraformed planets designed as ideal projections of the culture of the individual.

A rescued person would need to go through a deprogramming and learning session that may take quite a few years. During that time the individual could be trained to work on the rescue of their descendents or close relatives. Perhaps a child perished before the parent and could meet and greet the parent at the time of rescue.

Generally, the rescue by a parent or some other close relative would be comforting to the individual being rescued and thus the "Rescue Project" would need to be started with the first humans found by the time travelers. The detailed momement by moment history logged into the common data banks would have been done centuries before the rescue project began and a pretty clear idea would have been recorded about the first humans, perhaps descendents of Lucy, perhaps older than that.

Thus at the time of our passing, future humans will move in to rescue us. In order not to change history in any way, the exact copy of ourselves will be downloaded into the new healthy body cloned for us. This body will truly be ours and we will be truly in it. The essence of our humanity down to the last detail will simply be copied over and we will revive. The familiar faces we see upon our rescue and revival will be those of our family and friends selected to meet us.

Our lives will then begin on the other side. We will live in deathless bodies with full health and clear minds. We will grow and learn. Our future life will be endless and thus we can patiently and gradually grow in knowledge. Through time recordings, we will be able to follow the history of the world since our passing. We can watch children and grandchildren grow and develop careers. We can watch and wait to meet them at their passing. Then we can proceed to more advanced learning on the terraformed planets designed for our culture and time. We will remain connected with our descendents through the central singularity. As they are placed in their cultural settings, we can remain in ours and participate through the connectedness of humanity at that time.

So be encouraged. The curiosity of future humans and the ethics of passing on longevity to those of us who missed it by a few years will be strong. It is impossible to think that it would not be done. Next time you hear of someone's near death experience of approaching the light and seeing relatives waiting to meet them you can interpret that in the light of what you have just considered here.

I look forward to a good discussion on this topic. Any questions or refinements to my argument? Paul

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Re: Future Humans Visit At Time Of Death

Isn't that the central plot architecture to the film Millenium, with Sheryl Ladd as the lead harvester?

Not saying that you are wrong here, just that I have seen the film and the plot is very similar to what you are posting here.:grin:

CaryP

Sounds like the immortals portrayed in Highlander or vampires. How do you know all of this will happen? We'd better learn to terrafarm other planets because this one is about tapped out. I don't know that I'd want to live for hundreds or thousands of years. The other side of the mortal coil sounds much more inviting to me. Think of how insidious leaders could prolong their reign with the future you describe. I wouldn't want any part of it. Care to elaborate on your predictions of future technology? I'd be interested in hearing that.

Cary

StarLord

Actually you need to look at this in the reverse. Before we came here, we were living in eternity already......then each of us decided to 'get a life'. Some of us will be asked to come back here.

Cubby

*Smiles* Is immortality slipping by too quickly to get a grasp on? I mean, let's not bother considering what it consisted of before our definition, let's think about how insidious leaders could prolong their reign... ahh, I know my attention was never made aware in a good way to how painful existance is. That's what suicide was made for.
In an insidious enviroment, time travel's conquering's would be unravelled by the insidious one prone to the concept of going back to make a mess. Therefore spoiling our accomplishments and starting us off from wherever we were left.. which may be nowhere at all seeing how far we'd go back.

And all it would take.. one possibility, one human.
I believe that's all it ever took.

The_Ruffneck

who would want to live forever? well if they could cure the aging process and let me be say 22 for the rest of my years then i'd go for it but otherwise....no.Also if people live longer they have to work longer and have less babies , not for me thanks.

aimswanson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Grayson\")</div>
Isn't that the central plot architecture to the film Millenium, with Sheryl Ladd as the lead harvester?

Not saying that you are wrong here, just that I have seen the film and the plot is very similar to what you are posting here.:grin:[/b]

I haven't seen the film. Sounds interesting. I could see this plot as a tv series with Alexander the Great one week and Joe Shmoe the next. How about Hitler and all the people he murdered? It could be treated more seriously though.

I believe that before rescues of humans who died in the past would occur, the ethics of the whole matter would be seriously considered by the future human singularity which I feel would be an amalgem of individuals living closely, possibly telepathically, with each other. This greater united human existence would possibly have unlimited knowledge by constantly adding artificial data crunchers to the mix working really fast.

The key, I think, would be in the deprogramming period the individual would have to "endure" upon rescue at the time of death. Individuals would be enlightened by the discoveries over time and would spend years watching the data collected on the moment by moment history of his culture, including the thoughts as well as the deeds of those around him. He would also watch his descendents or the people closely related to him over the years past his death until the time of his rescue. A life of contemplation and doses of reality would well serve even the vilest of individuals. Years of therapy would no doubt ensue as well to "cure" the individual of regret, shame and etc.

So to those of you who worry about dictators, consider that the ultimate unification of humans will no doubt occur way before anyone would travel in time. This would not be a "Borg" existence but a positive union of minds to the huge data crunchers. Lightning fast thought and problem solving would be the order of the day. The individual would voluntarily join the singularity after being invited to "visit." Whole planets could be peopled with individuals who declined the invitation but naturally the "big giant brain" would probably be monitoring all that was going on anyway.

We shouldn't assume that collective humans would be unethical or Borg like. Our history has some really deep sh-- in it but over all, the rise of civilization has led to laws. Next to language, law is our greatest invention. We are naturally trending toward an ethical society. It may appear negative at times but as things go well, as people are healthier and more educated, life becomes more pleasant. During the Clinton years, we had nearly full employment and budget surplusses. We will regain the will to improve once again. The Bush years are just a negative blip on the continual rise of progress. Paul

aimswanson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Grayson\")</div>

Not saying that you are wrong here, just that I have seen the film and the plot is very similar to what you are posting here.:grin:[/b]

Grayson, I did a little search for the book Millenium mentioned above and found this: Its a review of John Varley's Millenium. My interest if piqued enough to go out and buy it. Paul

Reviewer:S. Smith \"ltcolkiranerys\" (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
It's not normal practice for me to watch a film prior to reading the book it's based on, but when I do, watching the film can lead me to some very good books. Such was the case with Millennium by John Varley. I had seen the film with Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Ladd a number of times but had been frustrated in my efforts to obtain a copy of "Air Raid", the original short story the film was credited as being based on, until one day when the book almost literally fell into my lap.

I gotta tell you, Millennium was one of those books I could not put down. From the first page, I found myself absolutely enraptured by the characters of both Louise Baltimore and Bill Smith. Varley's Smith is actually very close to the character that Kris Kristofferson portrayed in the movie, but his Louise Baltimore is a very tough, take-charge kind of gal that's unlike the one played by Cheryl Ladd in the film. That Louise always seemed to be looking to her personal robot, Sherman, for advice, whereas the Louise of Varley's book might have depended on Sherman for emotional support at times, but generally kept her own counsel and scoffed at the very notion that Sherman's ideas could be taken seriously in a critical mission such as the one she was running to Smith's time in order to get her lost "stunner". The funny thing was, in the end it was the Big Computer who was running everything, and not Louise or Bill or even Sherman. I am currently on my 6th copy of this excellent time-travel novel (the other 5 have worn out due to repeated readings), and I hope that all of you who are sci-fi enthusiasts will take the time to pick up a copy and read it, if you haven't read it already. It's a definite page-turner.

StarLord

Who in their right mind would want to live here forever? There is way too much stuff to do out there.

aimswanson

Starlord, (Who wants to live forever?)

Gerontolgy is a branch of medical knowledge dedicated to prolonging the quality of life of aging individuals. It is funded by people who believe that life can be prolonged.

Look up "Life Extension" on Google. You will find many people seriously looking into every means possible to stay alive. It is in our nature to keep living.

If science finds a way to prolong life indefinitely, there will be a line formed around the world to get the treatment.

There are more people alive today than are dead. Count the living population and the population of cemeteries and the living outnumber them. Rescuing the dead by future generations through time travel will hardly overpopulate our planet.

However, by then, many planets will have been terraformed to suit us and some of us will have been modified to live in other environments less suitable for humans. Humanity will likely infect the entire universe in time. In a sense, the universe will become a living being. Our awareness of the universe, however limited, can be considered the universe itself awakening.

I remember being a sardonic youth with little hope for the future once the full knowledge of human nature hit like a ton of bricks upon coming out of childhood. I discovered human beings are not perfect. Adults don't really know what they're doing. Now that I'm approaching 65, I realize that we are all simply survivalists in the big game. Its silly really to take ourselves too seriously.

Live ethically and try to overlook the failings in others so that we may have some hope they will overlook ours. We make our own happiness in life. As collective humans in the great bee-hive of civilization, have already increased the quality of life for billions. There is a gradual upward trend of humanity and cause for hope. Paul