Future invention timeline?

Kairos

Older, fit men are the ideal candidates. You really have to put a lot of trust in an astronaut, and so your best bet is likely going to be a man in middle age or older. honestly. Younger men are impulsive. Women are unreliable for the most part.

TimeFlipper

Older, fit men are the ideal candidates. You really have to put a lot of trust in an astronaut, and so your best bet is likely going to be a man in middle age or older. honestly. Younger men are impulsive. Women are unreliable for the most part.

I totally agree with you 100%...excellent posting! (y)

Kairos

@Kairos This video is region locked, presumably to the USA? sad face

This might be a different clip: TheVerge.com

And here is an article quoting Scott Kelly as he recants his experiences (he even wrote a book about it): TheAge.com.au

I cannot play the video due to running a linux machine at home and being unwilling to install the plugins. But the video I posted was just an interview with him about what his recovery entails and how bad his legs were during the interview. He said the difference between a few months and a year is tremendous. He could barely walk normally.

ISS does have exercise equipment to reduce muscle atrophy, but it is not enough, apparently.

From my experience in fitness (I have a chronic disease that causes much pain and the only way to keep it at bay is constantly strength training), I think the reaction is going to have a lot to do with your genetics. Men lose muscle at different rates no differently than they can build muscle at different rates. There is also the amount of free testosterone available. I suspect NASA gives somebody like that, after a year in space, a pretty solid stack of drugs to rebuild muscles and drastically increase recovery times from exercise.

I would be very cautious about sending women up there for a year or more until we design something that mitigates muscle atrophy altogether (like using rotation to simulate gravity). A woman in a similar position as this guy would have a much, much harder recovery time. Because our societies have become so feminized, and men so weak, most men do not grasp the differences. If you are a man, you enjoy drastically better conditions to build/rebuild muscle, to maintain it, and to recover from injuries or months in space.

Element115

People are not meant to live in space because we are evolutionarily locked to the gravity and atmosphere of our home world. We need to simulate these things to live in space. We got the atmosphere part, just not the gravity. I'm sure we could have a deviation of gravity to a certain degree before we see adverse effects, either from too much or too little gravity - but certainly we can't live in zero gravity.

Kairos

You might find this interesting.

51vqYrPwTGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Element115

Cosmic Species, that sounds dope. And technically... haven't we reached that threshold with our sending a satellite into deep space? I'd consider that to be the dawn of our time as a cosmic entity. It shows we are aware and we are looking for contact.