George Zimmerman Acquitted

Samstwitch

George Zimmerman Verdict: Not Guilty

The jury in the George Zimmerman murder trial has found Zimmerman not guilty in the death of Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman, who faced the possibility of life in prison, showed no reaction to the jury's verdict.

The six women in the jury delivered their verdict at 10 p.m. after more than 16 hours of deliberations over two days.

Zimmerman's parents were present in the courtroom, and his family members hugged. Some were in tears.

Martin's parents were not in the courtroom, and the Martin family lawyer Ben Crump quickly left.

Zimmerman, 29, was accused of second degree murder for shooting Martin, 17, on Feb. 26, 2012 in Sanford, Fla.

Prosecutors accused Zimmerman of profiling Martin as a criminal and following him with a loaded gun, triggering the fatal confrontation.

Zimmerman maintained that he shot Martin in self-defense after he was knocked to the ground and Martin was banging his head against the pavement.

CLICK ME TO SEE NEWS VIDEO.

Samstwitch

Oops, I didn't see your thread posted first so I merged them. Oh, now I see, we were posting almost at the same time. :)

Khaos

where the wild things are
I was about to PM you and ask if you can merge them. Thanks for doing that and no worries, with news events like this, its easy to post it all at the same time :)

BlastTyrant

Ya know i talked about this with a few friends, and had any white group been threatening to Riot and so on if he was found guilty the FBI would of been knocking down their Doors and arresting everyone. We will see how this pans out now that the African American community didn't get there way, how far can the "Race" card be pushed? Add how far will our society let the "Race" card be pushed and abused.

Perhaps a race war? We seen the power of the Black Panthers during Obamas 2nd term election and they got away with blatantly threatening people outside of Government sanctioned voting stations.

But regardless a Loss of life is never acceptable, but there is a chance this Trial will finally start turning the wheel on the whole "Claim racist and auto win" that has been plaguing out country for countless years. Hopefully it is a wake up call to all those of color who instantly run to the Racist claim and expect to automatically win and who use to automatically win.

To continue my rambling i remember a case at the Minnesota Valleyfair a few years back where 2 black women ruthlessly beat a mother and father while the child watched, and when the police showed up they claimed racism and got away with it scotch free. They said the woman made a racial slur and the cops were to rough so they were racist and they walked, after this Zimmerman verdict i hope stuff like this is never the case again.

The Racial Card has been ruling this country for far to long and far to many crimes are ignored because of it, i truly hope this is a turning point. Now i do understand there are hate crimes and that is completely different that someone doing something wrong and when caught claim the people are racist and getting away with their crimes.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Protesters Take to Streets in
Los Angeles

Refresh this page for updates.
By Brandon Lowrey

| Sunday, Jul 14, 2013 | Updated 9:08 PM PDT

Protesters clash with officers on Interstate 10 near Arlington Boulevard in this photo posted to a protester's Twitter account. (Photo used with permission.)

Photos and Videos

PHOTOS
Protesters Shut

Down 10 Freeway

More Photos and Videos

Protesters marched onto the eastbound Interstate 10 near Arlington Avenue (map) on Sunday, shutting down the freeway for more than 30 minutes and clashing with police, authorities said.
Los Angeles Police Department officers fired bean bags at protesters after some people threw objects at officers, LAPD Commander Andrew Smith told NBC4.

At least one person has been arrested so far, NBC4's Tena Ezzeddine reports. LAPD confirmed that one person was arrested on suspicion of throwing bottles and rocks at officers at 21st Street and 10th Avenue.

The protesters took to the streets to protest a day after Florida jurors found George Zimmerman not guilty in the killing of Trayvon Martin. LAPD had planned ahead and prepared for protests, officials told NBC4.

The mob was cleared from I-10 by about 7 p.m., when LAPD officers began firing rubber bullets, protesters said. Some of the first tweets showing photos of people on the freeway were posted shortly after 6 p.m.

The protest was one of at least two major ones in the city, beginning about 4 p.m. at Martin Luther King Jr and Crenshaw boulevards.

Several people were also struck by bean bags in a shopping center near 10th Avenue and Washington Boulevard in Mid-City, said Jasmyne Cannick, who tweeted photos of the protesters and said she and an attorney were observing the rally.

"They're in pain and I don't know what's going to happen to them," Cannick said.

She said that protesters seemed confused and panicked once officers began firing the bean bags at them from multiple sides.

Photos on social media showed a large group of people walking on the freeway with no cars in sight. Several of the people held signs and banners.

Twitter user Jasmyne Cannick (@jasmyne) tweeted "We are literally walking on the 10 freeway for Trayvon Martin! #NoJustice"

The Los Angeles Police Department has been placed on tactical alert.

Samstwitch

Rallies throughout the USA are peaceful. The only violence was vandalizing in Oakland, CA (photos at the bottom). Looks like the NAACP has filed for a Federal Investigation into the case.

Zimmerman Protest.jpg
Rallies large and small follow Zimmerman verdict

NEW YORK (AP) — With chants and prayers, sermons and signs, outrage over a jury's decision to clear George Zimmerman in the shooting of an unarmed black teenager poured from street protests and church pulpits Sunday amid calls for federal civil rights charges to be filed in the case.

Demonstrations large and small broke out across the country — ranging from a few dozen more than a thousand — in support of the family of Trayvon Martin as protesters decried the not guilty verdict as a miscarriage of justice.

The NAACP and protesters called for federal civil rights charges against Zimmerman, who was acquitted Saturday in Martin's February 2012 shooting death, which unleashed a national debate over racial profiling, self-defense and equal justice.

The Justice Department said it is looking into the case to determine whether federal prosecutors should file criminal civil rights charges now that Zimmerman has been acquitted in the state case. Meanwhile, President Barack Obama and religious and civil rights leaders urged calm in hopes of ensuring peaceful demonstrations in the wake of a case that became an emotional flash point.

In New York City, hundreds of protesters marched into Times Square on Sunday night, zigzagging through Manhattan's streets to avoid police lines. Sign-carrying marchers thronged the busy intersection, chanting "Justice for! Trayvon Martin!" as they made their way from Union Square, blocking traffic for more than an hour before moving on.

In San Francisco and Los Angeles — where an earlier protest was dispersed with beanbag rounds — police closed streets as protesters marched Sunday to condemn Zimmerman's acquittal.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti urged protesters to "practice peace" after groups of people broke off from a peaceful march and threw rocks and batteries at officers. Police arrested one man.

Rand Powdrill, 41, of San Leandro, said he came to the San Francisco march with about 400 others to "protest the execution of an innocent black teenager."

"If our voices can't be heard, then this is just going to keep going on," he said.

Earlier, at Manhattan's Middle Collegiate Church, many congregants wore hooded sweatshirts — the same thing Martin was wearing the night he was shot — in a show of solidarity. Hoodie-clad Jessica Nacinovich said she could only feel disappointment and sadness over the verdict.

"I'm sure jurors did what they felt was right in accordance with the law but maybe the law is wrong, maybe society is wrong; there's a lot that needs fixing," she said.

At a youth service in Sanford, Fla., where the trial was held, teens wearing shirts displaying Martin's picture wiped away tears during a sermon at the St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church.

About 200 people turned out for a rally and march in downtown Chicago, saying the verdict was symbolic of lingering racism in the United States. Seventy-three-year-old Maya Miller said the case reminded her of the 1955 slaying of Emmitt Till, a 14-year-old from Chicago who was murdered by a group of white men while visiting Mississippi. Till's killing galvanized the civil rights movement.

"Fifty-eight years and nothing's changed," Miller said, pausing to join a chant to "Justice for Trayvon, not one more."

Protesters also gathered in Miami, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C along with a host of other cities.

In Miami, more than 200 people gathered for a vigil. "You can't justify murder," read one poster. Another read "Don't worry about more riots. Worry about more Zimmermans."

Carol Reitner, 76, of Miami, said she heard about the vigil through an announcement at her church Sunday morning. "I was really devastated. It's really hard to believe that someone can take the life of someone else and walk out of court free," she said.

In Philadelphia, about 700 protesters marched from LOVE Park to the Liberty Bell, alternating between chanting Trayvon Martin's name and "No justice, no peace!"

"We hope this will begin a movement to end discrimination against young black men," said Johnathan Cooper, one of the protest's organizers. "And also to empower black people and get them involved in the system."

Earlier Sunday, hundreds gathered in Union Square in New York City to voice their passions over the verdict, hoisting placards with images of Martin.

Some tempered their anger, saying they didn't contest the jury's decision based on the legal issues involved.

But "while the verdict may be legal, a system that doesn't take into account what happened is a broken legal system," said Jennifer Lue, 24.

Nineteen-year-old Octavia McMahon came from the Bronx to march with her mother and five siblings, carrying signs they made after learning of the verdict. She called the protests an emotional experience.

"I'm really happy that so many people showed support because it's not just one person. It's all of us as one."

Civil rights leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, urged peace in the wake of the verdict. Jackson said the legal system "failed justice," but violence isn't the answer.

Zimmerman Police Car.jpg

But not all the protesters heeded those calls in the demonstrations that broke out immediately after the verdict.

In Oakland, Calif., some angry demonstrators broke windows, burned U.S. flags and started street fires. Some marchers also vandalized a police squad car and used spray paint to scrawl anti-police graffiti on roads and Alameda County's Davidson courthouse. In Los Angeles, police said a crowd of about 100 protesters surrounded an officer and eventually had to be dispersed by officers firing beanbag rounds.

Zimmerman Oakland Window.jpg

BlastTyrant

This angers me greatly, had this been the other way around and trevon Shot and killed zimmerman it wouldn't even be a story. But since it was Zimmerman who shot and killed Trevon it is now a hate crime and people are outraged.

This isnt how we are suppose to act, it's this crap and mentality that is wrong with the US, don't get your way? F it throw a Fit and destroy everything you can find till you feel better, and the whole "Fail Justice" crap that is spewing from the "Civil Rights" leaders is only fueling it, you can't say the Justice System failed and not expect more outrage, they should know better.

But these Children and i say Children cause these people sure in the hell arent Adults went as far as to burn the American flag?? For what? The story about Channon and Christopher Newsom comes to mind here, where they were brutally killed by 5 African Americans and yet the story got little to no coverage. You didn't see Rioting or flag burning over it, Why? because of the Mass Media, Media is fueling this fire that is running out of control and it needs to stop.