Getting a head-start on my dreams?

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
I would like to tell you a little more about myself. Of course a lot of you guys can guess that I am willing to travel to distant planets outside the solar system, meet up with extraterrestrial races, travel back in time, and change history for the better.

To get a good head-start for fulfilling this dream, I will need to build a super-fast spacecraft like the one in my blueprint found at the end of my first blog post at the bottom of the page of this link: spacetimetravel626.blogspot.com

I was hoping to have some sort of science major during my undergraduate college career, but I found some of the related classes at my college pretty darn tough.

The first mathematics course I took was called "Elementary Functions", which is really pre-pre-calculus, in which I got a 100% average (for the entire course that semester). Two semesters after that, during my brief period as a campus resident, I took Pre-Calculus, with an instructor who taught the course using an entirely different method that was less fitted to my learning style. I managed to get an A in that course as well, though it was not a 100% average.

The same semester I took Pre-Calculus, I attempted to take "Introductory Physics, Part 1". I had it with an instructor who moved way too fast. It did not work out so well. To avoid all the stress of that course, in addition to living on campus which was already very stressful, and getting an F, I withdrew from Introductory Physics.

Since I did very well in Pre-Calculus, I went on to take Calculus I, which had another instructor that moved too fast. That course was another rough ride, and I got a B- in it. It was at that point I decided to change my major from "Undeclared" to "History/Political Science", which had come as an easier subject for me.

Nevertheless, my core requirements compelled me to take a lab science, so this time I took Introductory Astronomy. It was the first semester since I went back to being a commuter, so I took Astronomy while recovering from the stress of living on campus. My luck with instructors in the field didn't change too much, and I got another B-.

Three years ago, I graduated magna cum laude from Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, NY with a Bachelor's degree in History & Political Science. So you can see I don't have much of a background in mathematics or science. And going to graduate school for math and/or science degrees I think would be even tougher at this point in my life.

I am still exploring my options and paths to take that will help me fulfill my dreams. I was thinking of auditing very basic courses in mathematics and science at some academic institution to start off with, and work my way up from there. Are there any suggestions of what I can do at this point in time? Help will be appreciated, and I believe it's never too late to try something that can help.

Martian

Take calc 2 & 3 as well. Calc 2 is usually harder than calc 3, so if you get through it you'll do fine. Study physics on your own for a while. Not quantum mechanics or anything like that. Start with Newtonian mechanics, like force, momentum, etc. Try to realize patterns in it, in the context of math (and especially calculus). If you get a solid understanding of these foundational things, you'll do fine later on in things like orbital mechanics. There are no shortcuts, though. A spacecraft is a very complex thing, with propulsion, aerodynamics, flight controls, communications, life support, structures, etc, etc. Lots of work is done by many people to get just one of them flying.

Last edited:

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
Take calc 2 & 3 as well. Calc 2 is usually harder than calc 3, so if you get through it you'll do fine. Study physics on your own for a while. Not quantum mechanics or anything like that. Start with Newtonian mechanics, like force, momentum, etc. Try to realize patterns in it, in the context of math (and especially calculus). If you get a solid understanding of these foundational things, you'll do fine later on in things like orbital mechanics. There are no shortcuts, though. A spacecraft is a very complex thing, with propulsion, aerodynamics, flight controls, communications, life support, structures, etc, etc. Lots of work is done by many people to get just one of them flying.
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely get to Calculus 2 & 3 once I've been refreshed on and mastered Pre-Pre-Calculus, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus I. So you think auditing courses is a good idea? If so, then good!

I'm thinking I should check out the Pace University Westchester campus and see if I can audit classes for free. I have Asperger's Syndrome, and I've heard Pace has a good reputation for accommodating people with "disabilities" like Asperger's. In case I cannot get in for free, I could pay for some audits when I get a decent job. And I'm not expecting shortcuts. All these things take time, and good things come to those who wait!

Hot new avatar, by the way! :)

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
I just looked at the top part of the web page for Pace's course descriptions for Mathematics: Pace University - MAT - Mathematics It seems to me like I should start off with Algebra, which looks like the closest thing to Elementary Functions, or Pre-Pre-Calculus. Have a look and tell me what you think.

In the meantime, I have Emailed Pace, including a brief description of myself, and asked them if there was a fee for auditing courses in the Mathematics or Science departments. I did this because I was unable to find audit information in those departments. Do you think that was a good move to make, or was there something better I could have done?