Ghosts of rebels still "hangin' around"

DEATH OMEN

The George Inn in the town of Nunney is decidely haunted by a macabre sound-the unmistakable sound of bodies swinging from nooses. They are the invisible ghosts of rebels executed after being captured in the Battle of Sedgemoor in 1685. On the road near the inn is a more visible apparition of a phantom hitchhiker is seen, well all but his head anyway.

youarethecoffin

"I recently made a return visit to Nunney Castle in Somerset with a few friends who were interested in seeing the castle ruins. The castle was built in 1373 for Sir John Delemare in the style of a French chateau. It fell foul of Fairfax and his thugs in 1645, who, following a tip-off, which turned out be bogus incidentally, attacked the castle thinking it was harbouring a large cache of arms.

After our visit we decided to call into the George Inn, a former coaching inn located in Church Street close to the castle. Built in the 17th century it was often used as a courthouse for travelling judges. A ‘listed’ metal beam attached to the inn spans Church Street and was used in the 1600s as a 'hanging beam' to despatch the condemned. This macabre relic is now a support for the inn’s pub sign. Over the years it has been the source of some rather strange and chilling encounters. For it is said, that on occasion eerie sounds of creaking, taut ropes, supposedly supporting dead-weights have been heard emanating from it. It doesn’t take much imagination to realize that theses sounds must be attributed to the bodies of the condemned as they gently swing from side to side."

I found this on a website about Haunted Wiltshire, from the user Willow. It's from the first of December, 2012.
Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin, so it's not something I can look into in real life.

DEATH OMEN

Hardly amazes me. Seems some "ghosts" reenact the moment of their death, some are stuck in time/space and just have no clue as to how to move on, if they can. Hence my love of for the earlier times when the "twang" of a rope meant the end to a persons life, innocent, guilty, or both/neither. Thanks for posting. Reminds me of some of the favorite places in my ancestors homes in Scotland.

Kairos

There's a ghost of some Yankee soldier that allegedly lurks around the old graveyard in my town. Some local hero cut his head off near the end of the war when he was coming around trying to court a southern woman and now this creep spent the past century and a half frightening innocent people. Yankees.

DEATH OMEN

Some "ghosts" simply act as if they were still alive. If you may be a idiot when alive, theory is that you'll be one if you don't stay ""dead", so to speak. Being a "ghost", supposedly, has nothing to do with changing your behavior you had/exhibited when alive.

Kairos

I think human spirits are in a kind of fugue or sleep state, honestly. It's a kind of insanity. This is why so many stories you hear about are young women in old houses that show up when a baby is brought home (they died suddenly in child birth), or ghosts from murders and accidents. I doubt many people become ghosts who died after months of suffering from cancer.

youarethecoffin

I think human spirits are in a kind of fugue or sleep state, honestly. It's a kind of insanity. This is why so many stories you hear about are young women in old houses that show up when a baby is brought home (they died suddenly in child birth), or ghosts from murders and accidents. I doubt many people become ghosts who died after months of suffering from cancer.
It all comes back to the whole, 'unfinished business here on earth' thing. They're coming back to tie up loose ends so they can move on. Some never will, roaming the earth in search of comfort they'll never recieve.

Kairos

It all comes back to the whole, 'unfinished business here on earth' thing. They're coming back to tie up loose ends so they can move on. Some never will, roaming the earth in search of comfort they'll never recieve.

Nah. I think they just don't know they are dead. But I also think most spirits that people deal with are demonic, and those guys will pretend to be literally anything just to manipulate you. Pretending to be a human spirit with "unfinished business" is an effective ruse to get people to do things for you.

youarethecoffin

Nah. I think they just don't know they are dead. But I also think most spirits that people deal with are demonic, and those guys will pretend to be literally anything just to manipulate you. Pretending to be a human spirit with "unfinished business" is an effective ruse to get people to do things for you.
Hmm. Maybe that's the case with some. I think they need some purpose. I knew a younger female one that used to try and help my mother take care of my baby brother.
No, I actually kind of have a theory about some of them. Every moment in time is happening at the same moment in different dimensions, layered on each other like film. Who's to say someone going about their day in 1750 won't sometimes bleed into modern times? I remember seeing a factory worker from probably the forties walk passed my room as a little kid, obviously not of this realm seeing as he was barely visible and I was the only one that saw him. But at the same time, my great grandmother came to me as a little kid to let me know everything was going to be okay. She was the first person I knew that had died. She appeared back to me specifically, probably to put my mom and grandma's minds at ease. She knew she was gone. The factory worker didn't.
Not to mention, when this little girl I used to live next to was born, there were a few occasions where I saw a few years older version of her running around outside when she was just a newborn. A few years later and she looked just like the blurred visions of her I'd seen before. These were all before I hit age 10, too, so I wonder if kids, being closer to whatever death is, are better at perceiving things beyond our understanding.