GOD:True or false

Felic--

Re: GOD:True or false

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]History and technology have given us the advantage of hindsight. With the robotic singularity, in popular scientific opinion, drawing close, we must accept that we are self-justifiable for our beliefs. If we are to take on the responsibility of creating sentient or partially sentient beings through technology, we must also take on the responsibility for our own disillusionment. The human race can no longer justify its actions by theology. We not answerable to any \'god\', but to the security of the world of the future and of known life itself [/font]

StarLord

Not necessarialy, the very moment you experience OBE for your self, it makes most of these arguments antique. The very first thought that enters your consciousness is that death is impossible. Much disillusionment is shed also.

Felic--

I have experienced many, self-induced OBEs - I was taught 'astral projection' by a Wiccan friend at my school, for who it's practise is a family tradition. My first OBE was very foreign to me, but at the same time revealing. The sensation of losing the burden of my 'ego' had the most profound effect on me. From first hand experience, I can see why many would naturally link the process to spirituality.

Felic--

I've made the next too large for my liking on a post in copying it from a sxl document; now it won't let me edit the thing. What has happened to the edit control?

EDIT: That seems to be the only recent post I am unable to edit.

Observer

Right on the Money Grayson.

Thank you for showing there are indeed rational and intelligent people around.

(Yes, arrogant it is, because it's true...unlike the cults most people believe in).

Omega

God is a name we give to that force or entity which is higher than us, yet part of us, yet we are a part of God. God has been around forever and will always be. God has given us freewill which allows us to make our decisions. God does not have a habit of butting in unless he sees fit, in other words mankind is driving the bus. If you want God to always fix everything what would be the use of existing? We make turns and head down roads on this bus, sometimes wrong turns, but we must learn our own route to get to our destinations. To deny God would be denying life. I hate to say this it sounds like Star Wars, in a way God is like The Force.

Arcadia

Hi.... very interesting discussion!!

I think god and religion are two different things. God may be someone that leads us to have faith, believe and chace our dreams. Where as if religion is used for selfish purposes then it only results in destruction of humanity. Religion, as marx said is the opium of masses. Religion can make people believe in almost anything.

Where as the existance of god is a personal feeling... something that comes from inside and teaches us various things in subtle ways. God does not need modern clothes or gadgets to show his presence. He is a feeling inside all of us which leads us from evil to good, which helps us cross all tough times of our lives... it gives us strength and adds to our creativity.

Religion on the other hand can be a way of colonizing minds of thousands and can lead them to believe without questioning. Religion is autocratic and god is democratic. He teaches us to learn from our mistakes and gives us reason to follow our dreams and the right path. The concept of free will is only with your god not with religion.

I think we need to separate god and religion. God is our own faith and religion is propogated ideology!!

What do you guys think??

Observer

Arcadia,

A well thought out idea. The problem for me is that I don't believe in any god, gods, elves, mermaids, etc.

They are all myths, fantasies, etc. "Feelings" is not proof. It is a chemical reaction in your brain. And most of realize that the mind can be subject to some bizarre problems. I see religious belief as a mental defect, albeit a widespread one. I really laugh when I hear a Christian telling someone else they are crazy for believing in UFO's, Fairies, ghosts, etc...kind of like the insane calling each other "nuts".

Good and bad are societal constructs. There are some cross culture values most humans share. I would pin the reason for that on biology, not some supreme being.

Humanity has the ability to see the course of it's future, something which no other animal (that we know of) can do. We realize action causes reaction.

When I am "Good" I am so because I desire to live in harmony with my fellow man. The ability for human kind to be noble, to have the ability to love, to care for those that are weak, etc are part of the wonder that is our species. To pawn of responsibilty of our grandeur, and our weakness on some mythological being is frankly disgraceful. And a weak minds' easy cop out.

"Blame it on the boss" mentality.

I really don't care if others need fables to exist, if that allows them to be more productive members of society, then it is a good thing. When people use their beliefs to force others to follow their religious creed and moral outlook, then it becomes a problem for me. Gay marriage is a great example of this. What possible harm does allowing it do to anyone else? Religious people speak of the "Sanctity" of marriage..please, give me a break. Anyone looked at the percentage of divorce in America? (Look at the bible belt states). I am heterosexual, married to my second wife. If my fellow man (or woman) wants to marry someone they love, what business of it is mine, or yours? The point we should all celebrate is that two people fell in love. As with all other marriages, we should wish them good luck. (I am sure Gay marriage divorce stats will be just a terrible as "Normal" marriages).

The same goes for every other debate regarding religion trying to force their beliefs on the rest of us that don't subscribe to their particular version of voodoo. No one forces you to have an abortion, no one forces you to have a gay marriage, etc. You can do as you please. What makes people think they can decide what is OK for someone else? If it does not harm another, I see no reason to force my view on them.

I hope all of your are right, in a way. I think it is a shame our intellect, our mind, is lost when we die. I personaly find it distateful my hands, my eyes, my heart and lungs will one stop moving. Will rot and fade away to dust. All that I am and will be gone. I have no ability to take solace in a mythological heaven or hell. I wish I could, but it is impossible. I might as well try to pin my hopes for an immortal soul on Santa Claus.

I am left with the fact that when I die, I am gone. The fact of my mortality allows me to love the people that mean the most to me, to treat my fellow man with kindness (Unless they are dealing with me due to my job ;-) )to love my children, etc. Not because some book of stories tells me to, but because I realize that we all have a finite time to experience life. To share our experiences with others. Why hate when you can make other peoples short adventures on this world more enjoyable, and they yours?

My .02, as always.

Regards,
Jim

StarLord

The mechanism that has been set in place millions of years ago which ensures that you will learn all that you need to and more is a very brilliant one. It's Karma. It is inescapeable. Within us, and due to our own actions and choices, we carry Judge, Jury and Executioner. As Soul of itself is eternal, what matters if one needs a thousand or a million incarnations?