Great Article about the Search for Life

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I think something's wrong with your link. Sent you a PM.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
On a distant planet like Kepler-22b, it is assumed that there is a fair possibility that liquid water could exist, a “requirement” for life. But what if on this alien world, water was the enemy. Or a waste product? What if the presence of water actually disqualifies this planet from harboring life?

If you think all of this is silly, think about this. There are numerous plants on the Earth that don’t even appear to be alive at all. They blend so perfectly into their environment that at first glance, you would have no idea they were even a living thing. We are looking for life as we know it, but what about life as we don’t know it.
Very interesting article, I particularly liked that part, as it reminds us that we may be looking for something we don't even know exist. How are we supposed to recognize it?!

Crethox

I agree completely. It always bothered me somehow with all the programs showing on tv concerning this topic and their explanation on how to search for life elsewhere in the universe. Everything they search for is in the light of what we know of Earth and life here. Then again it's completely normal to look for things you understand or know of.

Let me ask you this. What if we were the anomalies in the universe? I mean the whole concept on how life was established here on Earth. The need of water etc. That would mean alien races would think of us as strange beings not following the rules of the universe :rolleyes: