Media Gun Confiscation Begins in California

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Must be hell eating your steak-and-kidney pie with fingers only.

I mean, fish and chips I could see, but bubble and squeak?

Give me a fork, at least, for God's sake!

Harte

I should clarify, knives and such are only considered offensive/defensive weapons if you carry them with intent to use them on someone, or if they're above a certain length. I personally have a 15cm long decorative knife on my wall that could very easily be used as a weapon in a pinch. It's only illegal if I carry it as such outside my home. Stunguns, pepper spray and police batons are examples of items banned outright, as their only purpose is as a weapon.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/186911/Knives_and_offensive_weapons_information_GDS_FAQ.pdf
How are women supposed to protect themselves from rape?! I know you have an insane muzzie problem over there. We have our own problems over here. But women must be allowed to protect themselves or there won't be any left.

Most of them have teeth, which could be used as a method of self defense in a rape situation.

Ayasano

Must be hell eating your steak-and-kidney pie with fingers only.

I mean, fish and chips I could see, but bubble and squeak?

Give me a fork, at least, for God's sake!

Harte

I should clarify, knives and such are only considered offensive/defensive weapons if you carry them with intent to use them on someone, or if they're above a certain length. I personally have a 15cm long decorative knife on my wall that could very easily be used as a weapon in a pinch. It's only illegal if I carry it as such outside my home. Stunguns, pepper spray and police batons are examples of items banned outright, as their only purpose is as a weapon.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/186911/Knives_and_offensive_weapons_information_GDS_FAQ.pdf
How are women supposed to protect themselves from rape?! I know you have an insane muzzie problem over there. We have our own problems over here. But women must be allowed to protect themselves or there won't be any left.

Sorry, "muzzie"? Is that some kind of derogatory slur against muslims? If so, I can assure you, the muslims are not the problem, it's the people who treat them as if they're all terrorists that I'd like kicked out of the country.

Ayasano

Most of them have teeth, which could be used as a method of self defense in a rape situation.

We also have the highest number of CCTV cameras per capita in the world, which acts as somewhat of a deterrent, obvious downsides aside. I've known people to encounter sexual harassment at night on the street who've called the police and the officer on duty has watched over them via the cameras until they got home safely. There's also the option of a rape whistle to alert the nearest police officer, or shouting "fire" if you think it's more likely to get people to come. Physical self-defense is a last ditch effort if all of those fail. It's not an ideal situation, but there's something to be said for being able to trust a police officer will come to your aid.

Harte

"Most of them have teeth"?
Is this some kind of derogatory slur against British Dentistry?

There have been great strides made in British Dentistry in the past few decades.

Almost all of them have teeth, nowadays.

Harte

IroncladMarshmallow

Sorry, "muzzie"? Is that some kind of derogatory slur against muslims? If so, I can assure you, the muslims are not the problem, it's the people who treat them as if they're all terrorists that I'd like kicked out of the country.

Two men almost decapitated British soldier on London road, court hears

I disagree. Muslims are a huge problem, and they will destroy your nation, your culture, and your people if you let them. I don't know what sort of mental neutering has been done to the British people to make them not want to defend themselves, but it's not a good thing at all.

Ayasano

Two men almost decapitated British soldier on London road, court hears

I disagree. Muslims are a huge problem, and they will destroy your nation, your culture, and your people if you let them. I don't know what sort of mental neutering has been done to the British people to make them not want to defend themselves, but it's not a good thing at all.

SEATTLE: Florida man gets 15 years in Seattle firebombing - Florida Wires - MiamiHerald.com
So all people from Florida are a huge problem? And will destroy the US?

Or how about everything the KKK did? Does that mean all Christians need to be kicked out of the US?

Just because you get a few bad apples here and there doesn't mean the entire group is bad. By that logic pretty much every religion needs to be wiped out.

I personally disagree with religion in principle, but I support people's right to worship a magic man in the sky if it's what they honestly belive in. That's their right. Especialy in the US, because of your constitution. Freedom of religion, remember? It's a two-way street.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
All I know is that my gun has never jumped out of the safe, I've never had any violent urges since owning it, and I do not believe that banning guns will solve violence. A person with the intent to harm will find a way to do it either via the black market or by using a different weapon. The problem would be the person and the situation. IMHO.

walt willis

Personally, and I say this as someone from the UK where ALL offensive/defensive weapons are banned, with the sole exception of guns meant for hunting, pest control or sports that have to be locked up, I'm in favour of both the right to own guns AND gun control in the form of extensive mental health/criminal background checks, and training to respect said guns and what they can do. I'm all for your right to defend yourself as long as guns don't end up in the hands of people who would use them against innocent people.

As far as open carry goes, it has its ups and downs. In the curent climate with fairly loose gun control, someone openly carrying in front of me would honestly make me fearful for my safety. However, if I knew the person carrying the weapon had to have gone through checks and training, I would feel much safer, possibly more so than someone not having a gun at all, since it would make a criminal think twice about doing something.

(Even our police don't carry guns except for small teams deployed in very dangerous situations. Normal police are trained to handle situations non-violently or non-lethally where possible, which I think is a plus. On the other hand, the vast majority of criminals don't have guns either, so we have one of the lowest rates of gun crime in the world)

Thanks, I feel the same way but my wife says criminals will just use other means to murder innocent folks if all guns were taken away.

How are most of the innocent people in your country being murdered?

To me guns are just one of many tools to take life and not the main tool being used in our country.

The mass media falsely are making the claim that guns are the problem, but if you do your own research you will see that it is not so.

Thanks again for saying what I also believe is true...

Ayasano

Thanks, I feel the same way but my wife says criminals will just use other means to murder innocent folks if all guns were taken away.

How are most of the innocent people in your country being murdered?

To me guns are just one of many tools to take life and not the main tool being used in our country.

The mass media falsely are making the claim that guns are the problem, but if you do your own research you will see that it is not so.

Thanks again for saying what I also believe is true...

Oh, I do agree that guns make it easier to kill people, which is why I support stricter background checks before you can get your hands on one. I would imagine killing someone up close and personal with a knife or blunt weapon takes a lot more effort than simply pulling a trigger from a distance.

As for UK homicide statistics, between 2010-2011 there were 636 homicides (11.5 per million population)

5559f07cf35edf34a4d2c2b61d299775.png

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116483/hosb0212.pdf

Compare that to the US statistics for 2010, with 12,966 homicides (42 per million population)

64074e770ece8570fecd8545f5588bba.png

Source: FBI — Expanded Homicide Data

So you can see the majority of homicides in the UK are by knives and other sharp instruments, vs. firearms in the US. I would imagine the lower number of homicides isn't just because of the lack of firearms though. It's probably also affected by the number of CCTV cameras per capita (1 for every 11 people in the UK, I can't seem to find a number for the US but it's almost certainly 10x lower due to the lower population density and more spread out infrastructure) and possibly even cultural differences. (It's a well-known fact that British people tend to be more in-your-face, but also take arguments and such less seriously. Americans tend to think we're really making fun of them, when it's actually just us joking around like we would with friends back home)

Source: One surveillance camera for every 11 people in Britain, says CCTV survey - Telegraph

(It's worth noting of course that these statistics are for reported homicides. The actual numbers will be higher, especially in the US where the population density is so low. It's easy for a body to go unnoticed for days or weeks when your nearest neighbour lives a few miles away)

walt willis

Don't know where you got the US data, but It is not true according to the UCR Uniform crime report from the FBI!

I am a retired federal officer and had access to all of the DHS information as a supervisor.

Five secret passwords just to log on each day as required.

Don't think you had the same access as what I had...

Check your source.