High-altitude object shot down over Alaska, US says

Mayhem

Zenith
A "high-altitude object" was shot down over Alaska earlier on Friday, the White House has said.
Spokesman John Kirby said the unmanned object was "the size of a small car" and was over a sparsely populated area at the time.
President Joe Biden took the decision to shoot down the object, which was of unknown origin, Mr Kirby said.
It comes after the US shot down a Chinese balloon over its territorial waters last Saturday.
Speaking at the White House on Friday, Mr Kirby explained that the object over Alaska was travelling at 40,000ft (12,000m) and posed a "reasonable threat" to civilian aircraft.
He said the object had fallen into US waters that are currently frozen, adding that its debris field was "much, much smaller" than the balloon shot down last week off the coast of South Carolina.

"We do not know who owns it, whether it's state owned or corporate owned or privately owned," Mr Kirby said.
He said a fighter jet had approached the object and assessed there was nobody onboard, and this information was available to Mr Biden when he made his decision.
Map of Blackhorse, Alaska, near where the object was shot down

Pentagon press secretary Brigadier General Pat Ryder confirmed that an F-22 jet shot down the object - which was moving at an unknown speed - with a sidewinder missile at 13:45 EST (18:45 GMT).
Mr Ryder said a significant amount of debris had been recovered so far.
It was being loaded onto vessels and taken to "labs for subsequent analysis," he said, which "will prove helpful to our further understanding of this balloon and its surveillance capabilities".
Officials have not yet determined whether the object was involved in surveillance, and Mr Kirby corrected a reporter who referred to it as a balloon.

He did not specify the exact location where the object was shot down, but the Federal Aviation Administration said it had closed airspace in the area of Deadhorse, in northern Alaska.
F-22 jet flying over the Sierra Nevada mountains in an archive photo
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
The Pentagon said an F-22, seen here in an archive photograph, shot down the object on Friday afternoon local time
No other objects of a threatening nature have been identified above the US at this time, according to the White House.
Mr Kirby said the object did not appear to have the manoeuvrable capability like the Chinese balloon and seemed to be "virtually at the whim of the wind".
The object was first spotted on Thursday night, though officials did not specify a time. During a second examination of the object, the F-22 jet, based out of Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in Anchorage, shot it down.

Wind7

Staff
[ Mr Kirby said the object did not appear to have the manoeuvrable capability like the Chinese balloon and seemed to be "virtually at the whim of the wind". ]

Dammit....., My secret is out!! ::oops:

(runs away)

Wind7

Staff
Kind of makes you think that we're going to really p*ss off an actual ET one of these daze
if we were to just shoot blindly at an unknown target, eh? ;)

They knew.

On a side note, I reside just a few counties away from> camp ripley mn - Google Search

I work with a retired National Guardsman, They train more than National Guard there and
I get the air traffic over my home going to/from there which are mostly CH 47 Chinooks.

I have heard the Jets a bit more lately though and more than usual. 🙉

About a year (or so) ago, something very loud, soared directly over my home
shaking my dinner table and it was going extremely fast heading Southerly.

I would've loved to have seen what that particular craft actually was
because it only took but a few seconds to come/go.

It. Was. Loud.

Last edited:

MODAT7

Sidewinder missiles are heat seekers, and usually lock onto the exhaust of an engine. A balloon should have been relatively cold, so I wonder about this.

When watching the news about this, I also realized that the military has several experimental high powered lasers in their arsenal. A rubber balloon against a laser won't last long, even at 7.5-11 miles high. It would be far safer than using a machine gun or a missile and would leave the payload relatively intact to come crashing to the ground.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Sidewinder missiles are heat seekers, and usually lock onto the exhaust of an engine. A balloon should have been relatively cold, so I wonder about this.

When watching the news about this, I also realized that the military has several experimental high powered lasers in their arsenal. A rubber balloon against a laser won't last long, even at 7.5-11 miles high. It would be far safer than using a machine gun or a missile and would leave the payload relatively intact to come crashing to the ground.

What you say makes perfect sense to me too. I suppose it is more plausible to accept that we have been lied to again.

Enigma007

That's what I was thinking. They should not shoot these down with missiles. They should use lasers or, if they have to, just guns. That way the payload is left intact so they can study it and see what it was. It's no good in a million pieces after a missile hit.

Mayhem

Zenith
That's what I was thinking. They should not shoot these down with missiles. They should use lasers or, if they have to, just guns. That way the payload is left intact so they can study it and see what it was. It's no good in a million pieces after a missile hit.
Maybe that was a cover story about being shot down, and they somehow did get hold of it what ya think?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I wonder if it's related to that weather balloon.

I'm also wondering if it might be a real UFO. Are they preparing us for the disclosure?
That theory crossed my mind also, that region of Canada and Alaska are an active area for UFO sightings and has been for decades.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor

The Sidewinder missile is true a heat seeking missile. The balloon was white and the balloon was in sunlight for hours. The white balloon should have a heat signature which the Sidewinder missile could target on.

Professor Opmmur