How to get real proof for Time traveling

Fringan

What would the best way of getting proof for a time machine be?

I have a couple of (non unique) suggestions!

Let's say a time traveler actually for some reason decided to come to this (or any other) forum to prove he had a working time machine, like John Titor claimed he had. Obviously the traveler doesn't want to say where he is or what his real name is since his time machine would be unique and priceless. If someone really believed him there would be a great risk people would try to steal his machine. Again, obviously he wouldn't want to meet anyone to prove himself. What we would have to do would be to ask him questions to have him prove himself over the internet, a fairly anonymous and safe place.

A common question from us would be if the person could send us pictures of his device or pictures from the future. Even if he did provide pictures there would be no actual way of telling if they were real. We would only be able to determine
1. that they were false or
2. that we could neither prove they were real or false.

Another question would be if he could predict something in the future and we would see if he was right after some time. The problem here is predictions will often be:
1. Obvious, like "There will be a war somewhere in the world"
2. Vague, like "There will be some Waco like events in the upcomming 5-7 years"
3. Probable, like "This really good team will defeat that really bad team in basketball next week"
4. Full of secrets, like "Something will happen in about 2 months but I can't tell you what, you never know who's listening, but you'll know what it is when it happens".

The problem is ofcourse all the "proof" we get is open for individual interpitation. What if a time traveler would actually use his machine to prove he had it:

Using E-mail

Set up a hotmail address. After a few days you will ask the time traveler to go back in time just a day or two and send you an E-mail. You will make sure he understand you want him to send you a mail from the past so you have it in your inbox before you give him the address in the present. (Even if the timelines would differ according to Titors explanation, it would be safe to assume they differed little enough to be practically identical if he just went back a couple of days, right?(See some numbers further down)).

Using telephone

It would be a procedure very similar to the E-mail method. You would have him call you before you give him your number.

I'm aware all this causes a paradox and problem with Titors timeline differences. Lets assume Titors explanation was true about how his timeline and this timeline differed about 2%

Lets do some simple calculations with that number just for fun:

2034 --> 2000 = 2%

That would mean 1% difference in timelines would be reached if you traveled 17 years back or forward in time, right?

1 year ~ 0.06%
1 month ~ 0.005%
1 week ~ 0.001%
1 day ~ 0.0002%
1 hour ~ 0.000007%
? hour ~ 0.0000035%

The difference for an hour or a day is so small the E-mail or phonecall would probably get to you.

What if Titor went back 30 minutes in time after writing down your phone number and called you. And it worked!
Now, what if, after you get the phone number decide not to give him your number at all. In fact you ram a sledgehammer into you computer, lock yourself in your room and swallow the key so he can never ever get your phone number. Would him calling you on your timeline be that 0.0000035% or just an impossibility?

Aaaaaaanyway, if you figure out more ways for a real time traveler to prove that he infact is a time traveler please go ahead and fill out this thread with them!
(In my opinion photos and predictions arent any good, unless the predictions are of a certain type, something noone could predict - perhaps an actor getting killed in a car accident in India.)
Lets come up with better ways to get real proof!

CaryP

You one smart mofu Frings. Remind me not to get into a science debate with you. You'd kick my ass to hell and back.

Cary

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Originally posted by Fringan@Oct 14 2004, 10:43 PM
What would the best way of getting proof for a time machine be?

I have a couple of (non unique) suggestions!

Let's say a time traveler actually for some reason decided to come to this (or any other) forum to prove he had a working time machine, like John Titor claimed he had. Obviously the traveler doesn't want to say where he is or what his real name is since his time machine would be unique and priceless. If someone really believed him there would be a great risk people would try to steal his machine. Again, obviously he wouldn't want to meet anyone to prove himself. What we would have to do would be to ask him questions to have him prove himself over the internet, a fairly anonymous and safe place.

A common question from us would be if the person could send us pictures of his device or pictures from the future. Even if he did provide pictures there would be no actual way of telling if they were real. We would only be able to determine
1. that they were false or
2. that we could neither prove they were real or false.

Another question would be if he could predict something in the future and we would see if he was right after some time. The problem here is predictions will often be:
1. Obvious, like \"There will be a war somewhere in the world\"
2. Vague, like \"There will be some Waco like events in the upcomming 5-7 years\"
3. Probable, like \"This really good team will defeat that really bad team in basketball next week\"
4. Full of secrets, like \"Something will happen in about 2 months but I can't tell you what, you never know who's listening, but you'll know what it is when it happens\".

The problem is ofcourse all the \"proof\" we get is open for individual interpitation. What if a time traveler would actually use his machine to prove he had it:

Using E-mail

Set up a hotmail address. After a few days you will ask the time traveler to go back in time just a day or two and send you an E-mail. You will make sure he understand you want him to send you a mail from the past so you have it in your inbox before you give him the address in the present. (Even if the timelines would differ according to Titors explanation, it would be safe to assume they differed little enough to be practically identical if he just went back a couple of days, right?(See some numbers further down)).

Using telephone

It would be a procedure very similar to the E-mail method. You would have him call you before you give him your number.

I'm aware all this causes a paradox and problem with Titors timeline differences. Lets assume Titors explanation was true about how his timeline and this timeline differed about 2%

Lets do some simple calculations with that number just for fun:

2034 --> 2000 = 2%

That would mean 1% difference in timelines would be reached if you traveled 17 years back or forward in time, right?

1 year ~ 0.06%
1 month ~ 0.005%
1 week ~ 0.001%
1 day ~ 0.0002%
1 hour ~ 0.000007%
? hour ~ 0.0000035%

The difference for an hour or a day is so small the E-mail or phonecall would probably get to you.

What if Titor went back 30 minutes in time after writing down your phone number and called you. And it worked!
Now, what if, after you get the phone number decide not to give him your number at all. In fact you ram a sledgehammer into you computer, lock yourself in your room and swallow the key so he can never ever get your phone number. Would him calling you on your timeline be that 0.0000035% or just an impossibility?

Aaaaaaanyway, if you figure out more ways for a real time traveler to prove that he infact is a time traveler please go ahead and fill out this thread with them!
(In my opinion photos and predictions arent any good, unless the predictions are of a certain type, something noone could predict - perhaps an actor getting killed in a car accident in India.)
Lets come up with better ways to get real proof!

What if I set up an e-mail account now, send you an e-mail and in two days time say, -Fringan, you've now corrupted the timeline as you were supposed to set me a task which involved me e-mailing you two days ago. So, why didn't you? Did the e-mail I sent you cause you to not ask me the question? Oh, what have I done-

The 2% margin for error. What if that is an absolute 2% and not subject to the range in years that you travel?

Just thoughts. :D

Fringan

Originally posted by Grayson@Oct 16 2004, 11:23 PM
What if I set up an e-mail account now, send you an e-mail and in two days time say, -Fringan, you've now corrupted the timeline as you were supposed to set me a task which involved me e-mailing you two days ago. So, why didn't you? Did the e-mail I sent you cause you to not ask me the question? Oh, what have I done-

Hmm :) I'm not sure how that is similar to asking someone to actually use the time machine they claim to have in order to prove themselves :)

The 2% margin for error. What if that is an absolute 2% and not subject to the range in years that you travel?

Sure, it could be like that. In this case I tried using the information John Titor provided. Even though I don't believe he really was a TT myself, alot of people seem to get inspiration from him.

Here is what Titor wrote:

"...the longer the unit is on past a safe divergence confidence, the "stranger" the worldline becomes. The unit I have is safe to about 1% for every sixty years at max power."

That would mean all my numbers in the original post was wrong according to Titor:

Recalculations:

60 years = 1%
1 year ~ 0.017%
1 month ~ 0.0014%
1 day ~ 0.000046%
1 hour < 0.000002%

..which would make that ? hour in my original post 3,5 times smaller (< 0.000001%)

But ofcourse, if time traveling is possible and it actually works by jumping between time lines, the differnece could be 0%, 60% or even 100%, who knows? :)

Jean-Jacques Mass

I've been thinking about this recently, too. The only problem I see with your solutions (that is, the phone and email option) is that, if it worked, you would recieve a reply before you asked him to prove it via that method - in which case you wouldn't ask him (why ask for something you already have?), he wouldn't know to do it, and it wouldn't be sent.

Chances are, one day you would just get some oddball email from someone claiming to be a TT, and you wouldn't know why. And then you'd stress out about when, where and how you are going to tell him the email address and instructions - but then, if you got the email, you ended up doing it somehow, right?

Or am I thinking myself into a hole here?

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Originally posted by Jean-Jacques Mass?@Oct 18 2004, 03:39 AM
I've been thinking about this recently, too. The only problem I see with your solutions (that is, the phone and email option) is that, if it worked, you would recieve a reply before you asked him to prove it via that method - in which case you wouldn't ask him (why ask for something you already have?), he wouldn't know to do it, and it wouldn't be sent.

Chances are, one day you would just get some oddball email from someone claiming to be a TT, and you wouldn't know why. And then you'd stress out about when, where and how you are going to tell him the email address and instructions - but then, if you got the email, you ended up doing it somehow, right?

If you are, it's the same hole that I'm in.

Howdy, wanna share my hole. :p

Fringan

Originally posted by Jean-Jacques Mass?@Oct 18 2004, 04:39 AM

Well thats why you'd set up a new e-mail account somewhere and why not come up with a password phrase as you registered that account.
Even though you didn't recieve a mail you'd ask the person who claims to be a TT to send you one just to see what his excuse is that you haven't already got the mail from him :)

If this aproach had been used on JT, he would probably have had to come up with an ecuse of some kind. Perhaps something like "I don't have to prove myself to you, you don't have to listen to me, I don't care if you believe me.", if I know them JT answers right :)
It would raise some suspision of a hoax, right? A person claiming to have a time machine and wants to tell everfyone about it, send pictures of it and explain how it works but refuse to use it even to go just 30 minutes back in time. That sure isn't logical at all.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

He just sends you an e-mail 2 days ago, then starts his hoax. Planning is everything and that is why all the post-titor hoaxes have fallen through.

A good scam would be truly unpickable, undefeatable, of both epic proportions and minute details, it would enthrall, challenge aan cause you to question your belief. It would be impeccably planned and expertly executed. It would confound you.

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Originally posted by TheHeggy@Oct 19 2004, 07:02 PM
Dangit, Grayson... You made my mouth water. If only... If only. LOL

It will be done here one day, it will be sublime and divisive, it will be interesting.