If Aliens Attack: Visitors To Earth Will Likely Be Robots

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Pretty neat article about the future of robots, AI and alien visitors. Are humans going to be robots in the far future in order to become immortal and avoid the obvious limitations of our flesh bodies?

What about aliens ? If a civilization is advanced enough to travel insane distances through space, do these guys have wimpy flesh bodies like us, or are they immortal robots that wend beyond the flesh-and-blood form?
In civilizations advanced enough to travel between the stars, it is quite likely that machines have supplanted their biological creators, some scientists argue. Automatons — unlike animals — could withstand the hazards to living tissue and the strain on social fabrics posed by a long interstellar voyage.

Scientists have long projected that technology will eventually reach the point where our brain-based consciousnesses can be transferred to synthetic media, and Dyer sees this as the third path to machine supremacy.

Futurist Ray Kurzweil has famously promoted the idea of such a man-machine convergence as the "singularity" and he has foretold 2045 as the year in which it happens.

"If you have a civilization that’s thousands, millions, or even billions of years older than us, it will have gone through cultural evolution and I think the likelihood is very good that they won't be like us, and will be AIs," Dick said.
Full article: http://www.space.com/11090-aliens-attack-visitors-earth-robots.html

Superman

It would be interesting for us to reach this time. I would like to meet a robot and be a robot myself for immortality. lol

Spiral

Very possible, I think the natural progression is for the world to become full of AI.

It's a scary thought though.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
yes master Yoda,. we should send a driod army to earth:( it is infested with carbon base life forms. pesky little things makin a mess of the place. we can't let the spread accross the vers.:eek: agreed young Skywalker most troublesome matter:D
it makes some sence to send AI's to fight for you untill they get smart and turn on ya:mad: ever watch battle star Galactica

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Yup, at some point, AI will have the mission to protect humans. Then, when they become intelligent enough, they're gonna try to protect us.. from ourselves. From then, everything turns to shit. Sounds like the plot of numerous movies.

But, perhaps ETs are evolved enough not to have this kind of problem, right? According to this article, some ETs who'd be able to visit us would be so evolved that they'd be in a state of evolution where they use robotic immortal bodies instead of fleshy bodies. Likely, this transition from living organism to sentient robots didn't happen in one day. They probably had at some point, AI controlled robots working for them and protecting them. Who knows, perhaps their AI protectors decided to force their creators to leave behind their fleshy bodies at some point and upload their minds in robotic bodies to avoid aging and death. For the AI protectors, it'd be the ultimate way to protect a living being from death and decease.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
now thats a creepy thought. sounds like the borg you must comply. you will be assimalated resistance is futile. damn i don't think i like robots. use to think they were cool but now. nukem nuke the bastards. are future was decided in nano sec. yeh nukem like yesterday