If the Pope dies...

denbo88

Re: If the Pope dies...

A local Catholic Bishop said recently that 95% of the cardinals that elected this pope are still there and not to expect big changes.

sosuemetoo

Anyone have a clue what types of nasty things our headed our way if the Pope dies? I've heard a lot of rumors of predictions regarding what happens after his death, but haven't actually heard any of them. Anyone know of any?

Cross, I've believe I've heard many of the things you have heard regarding the Holy Father's death. Here is a link to one: http://www.jpdawson.com/lastpope.html I also do not discount Bible code prophecy.

The Holy Father is dying. He's been given last rites. It does not matter if you are Catholic or not. John Paul II is an important figure in the history of international events.

I know that the members of this forum has different faith/beliefs. We are open to all faiths/beliefs! Some believe that the Pope is the closest thing to Jesus on this earth, others believe he is simply a symbol in a dying faith, then there are those that find him to be an international peace keeper with influence. Please remember above all when commenting, that John Paul II is a human being.

Just a word of caution from Resident Mom. I don't moderate this part of the forum, but felt I should say something. Carry on :)

sosuemetoo

Pope\'s Health Has Deteriorated Further: Vatican </span>

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - <a href=\'http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/wrap/linker.jsp?floc=&ref=http://search.netscape.com/nscp_results.adp?source=nsstorysearch&query=Pope\' target=\'_blank\'><span style=\'color:#0000ff\'>Pope</span></a> John Paul\'s health worsened further on Friday when his breathing became shallow and his blood pressure deteriorated, said the Vatican, and one Italian news agency reported he had lost consciousness.
<a href=\'http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2005040112550002609768&dt=20050401125500&w=RTR&coview\' target=\'_blank\'>http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2005040112550002609768&dt=20050401125500&w=RTR&coview</a><span style=\'color:darkred\'>= </span>

[/QUOTE]

I just watched Fox news - in front of the Vatican where the entire crowd collectively did the rosary. Very moving.

A link to his possible successor\'s <a href=\'http://www.cnn.com/interactive/specials/9901/pope.successors/frameset.exclude.html\' target=\'_blank\'>http://www.cnn.com/interactive/specials/99...et.exclude.html</a>

</span>
[/b]

sosuemetoo

What will happen after The Holy Father's passing.

As Pope John Paul II clings to life, Cardinals throughout the world prepare to mourn him and select a new pontiff. The following is an explanation of the process for choosing a new pope.

The Cardinal Camerlengo (papal chamberlain) certifies the pope is dead. This is traditionally done by calling the pope three times by name.

The Camerlengo then seals the pope's private apartment and arranges for his papal ring and seal to be smashed and scratched over. The ring and seal are used to authenticate papal documents. When the pope dies, they are buried with him.

Interregnum (the time between the death of one pope and the election of another)

The cardinals fly from all over the world to Rome. There are currently 184 cardinals, 13 are from the United States. Cardinals over the age of 80 aren't allowed to serve as papal electors.

Nine days of mourning ensue. The pope is usually buried between four and six days after he dies.

Conclave (Cardinals gather in seclusion to elect a new pope)
The Conclave must be held no less than 15 days but no more than 20 days after the pope dies.

The Cardinal Electors gather in the Vatican's Sistine Chapel. They take an oath of secrecy. The penalty for disclosing anything about the conclave is automatic excommunication.

Voting

The cardinals gather twice a day and each session has two votes.

The Cardinals all take seats around the wall of the Sistine Chapel and take a ballot paper. They write a name on it, fold it, and then proceed one by one to approach the altar. They hold up their ballot high to show that they have voted, then place it into a two-foot tall chalice.

After all the ballots have been deposited, the folded ballots are mixed and then counted. If the number of ballots does not equal the number of cardinals, this vote is invalid and another immediately follows. If the number of ballots and electors matches, three cardinals start the tally.

If one candidate does not receive enough votes another vote is immediately taken.

To be elected pope, one Cardinal must receive more than two-thirds of the votes. If 30 elections (eight days) have taken place without any one cardinal being elected Pope, the cardinals may then elect by simple majority. This rule was introduced under Pope John Paul II.

After each vote, if no pope has been elected the ballot papers and cardinals' notes are burned along with wet straw to create black smoke. The black smoke travels up a 60-foot pipe to tell the crowds outside that they are still without a pope.

When a man is elected pope, white smoke signals the election. Throughout history the ballots have been burned to create the white smoke, but today a few chemical pellets are added.

One official record of the voting is sealed and deposited in the Vatican archives, to be opened only with the explicit permission of the pope.

Once a new pope is elected

When a cardinal is elected he is approached and asked in Latin, "Do you accept your canonical election as Supreme Pontiff?" When he says yes, he is asked, "By what name do you wish to be called?" Once he answers, he is the pope.

At this point the new pope is taken to the sacristy of the Sistine Chapel and dressed in papal robes. He is then returns to the altar to receive each of the cardinals.

Shortly afterwards, an announcement is made from a balcony overlooking St. Peter's Square. The pope's birth name and then his papal name are read to the crowd. He then appears and gives his blessing.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=ff007abd-0abe-421a-0177-db939442bd91&TEMPLATEID=4525fe63-ac1f-02d8-002a-f131478a1f55

sosuemetoo

CNN just announced he died then retracted it, btw thanks for the link sosuemetoo.

No problem Cross. I hope it helps others to understand the process.

I will post when I hear something officially.

Arez

i wouldbe bothered but it is his time to go. and im not religious so ahwell life goes on

gomp

Well I heard a theory that when the pope dies they burry him, and elect a new pope.
But I could be wrong they could cut him in peices and cook him, then all of the biships could eat him to gain some of his power.
No matter what happens I know for sure that Satan will not come up from hell and cause the end of the world. The Pope, is after all JUST a man, a very old man that is in charge of a very large corparation, but still just a man. not any wiser or dumber than any one else.

All of the above is simply my oppinion, even if it makes you mad, it will not take over or replace any of your oppinions unless you want it too.

August

Well I heard a theory that when the pope dies they burry him, and elect a new pope.
But I could be wrong they could cut him in peices and cook him, then all of the biships could eat him to gain some of his power.
No matter what happens I know for sure that Satan will not come up from hell and cause the end of the world. The Pope, is after all JUST a man, a very old man that is in charge of a very large corparation, but still just a man. not any wiser or dumber than any one else.

All of the above is simply my oppinion, even if it makes you mad, it will not take over or replace any of your oppinions unless you want it too.

gomp,

I respect your opinion. But you must understand that an opinion kept to yourself is different than an opinion shared in the forum. You may think "Q" or "X" and that is one thing--but when you say "Q" to a crowd it becomes something entirely different.

Thus my response to a part of your opinion:

We live in a world where some are wiser than others. Recognizing this is one of the first steps on the path to wisdom. John Paul II is fluent in, I think, seven languages. He served as part of the Polish resistance to Nazism in the previous century.

My vote: he is wiser than me.

denbo88

I'm not Catholic but I love and respect him for so many reasons. He stood up to Communism, inspiring millions to do the same and was the prime reason it fell. He was a defender of the Unborn too. I think many years from now, they will look back on this issue as we look back on Slavery. They will wonder what were we thinking. He was a Pope of the all Catholic people around the world and not just Europeans. He was a tough, driven man of God. He showed us how to live, now he will show us how to die.
I pray for his comfort at this time.
I pray that the cardinals will have God's wisdom to select a leader of the same caliber.