Debate Is physical time travel realistically possible?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer

I currently don't have the money to purchase that so I'll remind myself to buy that when I can, however I read the synopsis of Mike Marcum's story and it's quite intriguing. If the information I'm reading is correct, a man appeared on a beach crushed by an object with a cell phone?

No. I don't believe you have read it correctly. The description does adequately describe what the article is about. Also we do have a thread on Madman Marcum elsewhere on this site.

darwi

Stephen Hawking may well have come around to the idea of time travel, but I believe that some science fiction writers who write about it understand it better. A science fiction writer doesn't necessarily limit his understanding the way a physicist would with false and/or incomplete theories. Why do you suppose that Einstein was unsuccessful in completing his Unified Field Theory? Too many false concepts got in the way, that's why. 'Time travel' is movement on a 'time stream', NOT literal movement in time. Time is actually an abstract concept. It's not a thing you can manipulate. The only actual time you have is now. The past is gone forever. The future is never here yet. So, your first step in understanding 'time travel' is to understand what is actually meant. The next step would probably be to learn what a 'time stream' is. I would prefer that other people comment about this, before I'll go any further into it.

DoctorZ

THinkharder is my alternate internet name
i believe it would possible and simple , if the energy problem could be solve and no the HDr doesnt do shit for physical travel, only in mind and i will usually fuck you up spiritually, using a small located gravity field and frequency generator you could effectively time travel but the energy level would have to be endless, not high but endless, thats the main issue why we cant make it portal and easy, a portal generator like in montaul could be feasable , but they use 1M volt of electricity for each shot, so until the power source is solve, we wont be going anywhere soon

darwi

It seems to me that if we create a faster than light spinning vortex using superconductive materials, like the stargates on the television program in Stargate SG1, then we should be able to produce a time travel, teleportation device.

Rin Eran

I personally do not believe time travel itself nor the idea of an object / human being transferred through time is possible, but I'm curious to see other viewpoints on this.
So, to anyone who reads this thread:
If you do believe time travel is possible;
By what methods could you hope to achieve time travel?

As I have stated there I don't believe time travel is possible due to a variety of reasons, the main being that it's completely absurd. The idea of someone going back or forward in time just seems completely impossible to me.

So yeah, do you think time travel is possible? (This question is probably stupid due to the fact that I'm typing this on a time travel forum.)
My idea of a first time travel breakthrough is sending messages in the past or future. I am hoping of a physical time travel possibility but then according to some theories you need tons of energy just to send human beings in time. So, sending small objects or messages will be a great achievement.