Liquid time?

iooqxpooi

Re: Liquid time?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"WTF\")</div>
Light does have a very small amount of mass.

All things must be linked in some manner, this I agree with Starlord. As for time having mass, I'm not so sure. Time certainly isn't a liquid, to be a liquid, time would have to be contained and under immense stress from external forces.
Time, however, may be affected by mass... or, maybe time is affected by perception of what it should be.
I tend to think of time as something that's just... everywhere. Anywhere there's life, there's time. Anywhere there's something, there's life. It's all connected. We breath time in... kind of like mana.[/b]
Light has NO mass...that is measurable with our instruments, but measurable with instruments consisting of particles that move naturally at c. Then, and only then, could we measure its mass...

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"iooqxpooi\")</div>
Light has NO mass...that is measurable with our instruments, but measurable with instruments consisting of particles that move naturally at c. Then, and only then, could we measure its mass...[/b]

If it has no mass, how then does gravity attract and deform the path of light?

Planets do it all the time, so do Black Holes, they ARE mass. So how does the MASSIVE attract the MASSLESS?

Just askin'. ;)

Timmy G

If it has no mass, how then does gravity attract and deform the path of light?

Agreed. If light has 'no mass', then how come we can feel heat when it touches our skin? It carries with it the properties to alter/change things; are items that have no mass capable of changing items with it?

Also, how does light 'bend' via gravity? If light is not mass of some sort, then gravity must then effect anti-matter, which in turn gives the impression that light is being bent.

*NOTE: I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV

iooqxpooi

Light has NO mass...that is measurable with our instruments, but measurable with instruments consisting of particles that move naturally at c. Then, and only then, could we measure its mass...[/b]
:)

iooqxpooi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Timmy G\")</div>
Agreed. If light has 'no mass', then how come we can feel heat when it touches our skin? It carries with it the properties to alter/change things; are items that have no mass capable of changing items with it?

Also, how does light 'bend' via gravity? If light is not mass of some sort, then gravity must then effect anti-matter, which in turn gives the impression that light is being bent.

*NOTE: I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV[/b]
All items have energy, not mass. Heat is just energy... An object of mass can produce mc^2 joules of Kinetic Energy. The energy is not bent, but another force is applied. It is pushed in another direction by something else, thus appearing to bend it. :)

thenumbersix

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Timmy G\")</div>

*NOTE: I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV[/b]

The heat you feel is infra-red or heat being generated by the sun, this is light but a different form of it at a lower frequency. So far gravity has been shown to have no mass yet its' effect we can feel.

Light doesn't 'need' a mass as it is space itself that is distorted around a large mass, by or causing gravity. Light simply follows the path of space. If you have a ball floating on a pool, ripples will travel around the ball is a fair analogy if you only consider the surface of the water.

Evidence points at particles only having mass when we observe them, I believe the book is still out on this one and has been for 80 or 90 years now :grin:

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

All items have energy, not mass. Heat is just energy... An object of mass can produce mc^2 joules of Kinetic Energy. The energy is not bent, but another force is applied. It is pushed in another direction by something else, thus appearing to bend it. :)[/b]

Well, excuse me for be pedantic here, how does a Solar Sail work then?

If light has no mass, how do light photons move the mass of a spaceship with a solar sail? We know that they do, so this is not a specist argument.

EDIT: Iggy, no need to modify posts to fit my brain capacity, it's multi-dimensional and can cope with fairly much anything you can chuck at it. ;)

iooqxpooi

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Grayson\")</div>
Well, excuse me for be pedantic here, how does a Solar Sail work then?

If light has no mass, how do light photons move the mass of a spaceship with a solar sail? We know that they do, so this is not a specist argument.

EDIT: Iggy, no need to modify posts to fit my brain capacity, it's multi-dimensional and can cope with fairly much anything you can chuck at it. ;)[/b]
Did I ever say that light didn't have mass? NO.

I said that we can't measure its mass, and I also said that heat is energy. ;)

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe

Did I ever say that light didn't have mass? NO.

I said that we can't measure its mass, and I also said that heat is energy. ;)[/b]

You left me with that as an implication on your behalf. However, I am prepared to forgive you and even agree that you have corrected my error on your behalf... :lol: