Military officials are searching for an F-35 fighter jet in South Carolina after a ‘mishap’ forced the pilot to eject

Mayhem

Zenith
The military is searching for an F-35 fighter jet near Charleston, South Carolina, after its pilot ejected Sunday afternoon, according to military officials.

The pilot ejected safely after a “mishap” involving the jet and was taken to a local medical facility in stable condition, Joint Base Charleston said in a Facebook post.

Emergency response teams are now working to find the aircraft, an F-35B Lightning II jet.

The aircraft’s last known position was near Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, two large bodies of water northwest of the city of Charleston, according to Joint Base Charleston, which asked for the public’s help finding the aircraft.

“The public is asked to cooperate with military and civilian authorities as the effort continues,” Joint Base Charleston officials said.

The jet belongs to Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501, a unit focused on training pilots to meet annual training requirements, according to the unit’s website.

Wind7

Staff
This line kills me.

The aircraft’s last known position was near Lake Moultrie and Lake Marion, two large bodies of water northwest of the city of Charleston, according to Joint Base Charleston, which asked for the public’s help finding the aircraft.

What with all the Tech available in this 21st Century.......They needed public help to find their plane?

Uhhh........Wha-?

MODAT7

This has me concerned as a simple GPS drone tracker/navigator could be easily implemented on a trainer. Technically the transponder and ground radar receiver should also be doing this. A trainer shouldn't be in stealth mode in US airspace. When the pilot ejected, it should have activated some kind of locator, or at least a quick beacon, so the position of the plane could be roughly known. This also isn't rocket science. It concerns me how dumb our engineers are in missing this.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
This has me concerned as a simple GPS drone tracker/navigator could be easily implemented on a trainer. Technically the transponder and ground radar receiver should also be doing this. A trainer shouldn't be in stealth mode in US airspace. When the pilot ejected, it should have activated some kind of locator, or at least a quick beacon, so the position of the plane could be roughly known. This also isn't rocket science. It concerns me how dumb our engineers are in missing this.

I just look at it as more fake manufactured news.