Movie Recommendations?

darkbreed

Movie Reccomandations?

Anyone got some good movies to reccomand? doesnt matter if they are new or old, or foreign for that matter. Could list both your favorite movies of all time, as well as new good movies you've seen that you'd like to reccommand as worth watching.

I recently saw Terry Gillians "Brazil", with Robert DeNiro in one of the roles.
It was a pretty good and intersting movie, as well as funny. Even though its pretty old, from 1986 i believe. Kinda mix of sci-fi, action, black comedy, "acidart" movie.

The concept of Time Machine from 2002 which i recently saw was also pretty interesting, specially with how things turned to be out far into the future after the fall of modern civilizations and technology.

CaryP

Re: Movie Reccomandations?

Depends on your taste in movies darkbreed. If you're looking for time travel movies, I'm sure you could google that topic for a list. Some of my favorites over the last few years include the following:

Borne Identity
Borne Supremacy
Boondock Saints
The 13th Warrior
The Godfather (I and II)
Open Range
Love Actually (yeah, it's a chick flick, but I liked it)
Man on Fire
The Usual Suspects
Saving Private Ryan
Shindler's List
Sense and Sensibility (another chick flick that I really like)
Confidence (Dustin Hoffman, Ed Burns, Andy Garcia and Rachel Weisz are excellent in this one)
Groundhog Day
and of course Napolean Dynamite

I could go on, but I'm sure what you're looking for. You got something in mind?

I left off the obvious Matrix, Lord of the Rinds, Star Wars, and Raiders of the Lost Ark genres. Figured you were all over those.

I haven't seen, but heard very good things about:

National Treasure
Ray
Constantine
Assault on Precinct 13

Hope this helps.

Cary

darkbreed

Thanks for your list, and yeah i'm not really looking for a spesific genre or anything, any good movie is of interest. I see you have many good ones in your list, but I havnt gotten to see all those myself. I'll have something to check out now :)

K@t 5

Ok...my hubby and I are total nuts for anything rather obscure and totally warped. Cary, you and I have a lot of the same faves in common....hmmm, back to the twin thing again? :lol:

Conspiracy Theory (of course)
Tank Girl (based off the comic book)
Hackers
Any Monty Python movie (especially the Holy Grail and Meaning of Life)
Something's Gotta Give (great chick flick)
The Gift (if you're into psychic stuff)
Kama Sutra: Tale of Love (another chick flick, just make sure you get this one and not the other that's out named Kama Sutra)
Resident Evil 1 & 2
Empire Records (this is a classic)
Porky's 1 & 2
G I Jane
Long Kiss Goodnight
Kissing Jessica Stein (another chick flick that my hubby loves)
The Sex Monster (hilarious...somewhat a chick flick)
Serendipity (chick flick)
Out Cold
American History X
Falling Down
Office Space
Foxfire (kick ass chick flick, very difficult to find)
Hellboy
Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Red Dragon (I would suggest to watch Red Dragon first, Silence second and Hannibal last, as that is their true order)
Island of Dr. Moreau
The Sweetest Thing (you have to get the unrated version, as the rated is missing the song along with a few other things)
The Life of David Gale (really makes you think)
The Big Tease
Contact
Secret Window
League of Extraordinary Gentleman (if you're into the old literary heros, you should like this)
Animal House (another classic)
Mars Attacks
Timeline (interesting concept for the creation of a time machine)
Pelican Briefs
Rose Red
Dangerous Beauty (chick flick, based on a true story)
Mothman Prophesies
Suicide Kings (hell of an ending)
Virgin Suicides
Vanilla Sky (mind bender...you either like it or you don't)
Showgirls (I had to put this one in...)
The Girl Next Door

This should start you off quite nicely...I've scratched the surface of my collection. If you need anymore, let me know!

Hey preethi, hope some of these work out for you!

darkbreed

Wow thats a big list! :D

Got something to keep me goin for a while now i think hehe.

I just watched The Butterfly Effect, that was a pretty interesting movie with an original concept.

K@t 5

I really liked the twists that one took...have you restarted the dvd a few times?

The_Ruffneck

Cold Dog Soup
http://imdb.com/title/tt0099286/

Ignore the ratings , the movie is just too weird for some people.
Here's a quick overview.

3 people romp through the night trying to unload a dead dog, 12 June 1999
70.gif

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma

A dog dies and the owner persuades her daughter's date to bury it in the park. While on his way, he meets a strange cabbie who insists the dog's body can be sold. This is the start of an odyssey through the midtown streets looking for a buyer. Weird characters abound in this bizarre yet funny film

StarLord

Wag The Dog, was a eye opener. Anything by Akira Kurosawa, you may know this, but two of Clint Eastwoods Fist Full of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More were copied from Kurosawa's films.

CaryP

Yojimbo, I believe the name of the Japanese movie, was a classic. Several versions of the movie about the samurai coming into town, being the mercenary for two opposing sides of a local dispute, getting beaten and left for dead, rescued by the local bar keep, and exacting his revenge. Eastwood did it in his spaghetti westerns, and Bruce Willis did a version from the depression era. Last Man Standing was the name of that one, I think. Good flicks.

Cary