My first experience at Doom mapping

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Today I watched Doom: Annihilation. It was godawful. It made the 2005 Doom film feel like an absolute masterpiece.

Everything felt incredibly cheap, from the SFX to the props and the sets. And the monster costumes. The story was pretty meh (even in for the Doom standard), but at least they got to mention the demons came from hell this time. Not some boring mutation that was hiding on Mars as they had in the 2005 film.

It'll probably take another 15 years before they make a new one.

Wind7

Staff
Today I watched Doom: Annihilation. It was godawful. It made the 2005 Doom film feel like an absolute masterpiece.

Everything felt incredibly cheap, from the SFX to the props and the sets. And the monster costumes. The story was pretty meh (even in for the Doom standard), but at least they got to mention the demons came from hell this time. Not some boring mutation that was hiding on Mars as they had in the 2005 film.

It'll probably take another 15 years before they make a new one.

Hahaha!! I thought that I was the only sucker out there that
paid rent and suffered through those movies!

They should have lined their cat boxes with the plot from both, man. (y)

Of course, It could always be worse,
They could always make DOOM: The Musical. ;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
@Wind7 John Romero is streaming tonight on Twitch. Here's working on Sigil 2! That's exciting!

Look at that screenshot with the logo, it's awesome! 🤘He says he expects Sigil 2 to be slightly better and certainly bigger than Sigil 1.

1698538703601.png

Wind7

Staff
@Wind7 John Romero is streaming tonight on Twitch. Here's working on Sigil 2! That's exciting!

Look at that screenshot with the logo, it's awesome! 🤘He says he expects Sigil 2 to be slightly better and certainly bigger than Sigil 1.

View attachment 17170
I finally can download the Add-Ons!! Yay!

Can't wait. (y)

The original Sigil 1 was a real challenge playing Nightmare mode!

Been playing Quake lately....Great distraction when needed.....Playing with moderation within
a hermetically sealed room from which there is no escape! ;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Wow, you played Sigil on Nightmare? You're a beast! I'm not even sure I beat it on Ultra-Violence. lol

Haven't they released a remaster or Quake?

Do you play these games locked up in the dark? lol

Wind7

Staff
Wow, you played Sigil on Nightmare? You're a beast! I'm not even sure I beat it on Ultra-Violence. lol
Oh no....I never beat it at all in Nightmare Mode, sorry for not being more clear.
It's just NUTS to play in that mode. Great distraction!
Haven't they released a remaster or Quake?
Quake has several Add-Ons now.
There's even a Quake 64 add-on. :)
Do you play these games locked up in the dark? lol

Yes....It's not the darkness but more the Strait Jacket that a bit cumbersome. ;)

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Haha in a strait jacket!

I remember being able to beat the first few levels of Doom in Nightmare mode. Monsters respawn after 30 seconds or 1 minute I think? So you gotta be quick. The first levels aren't that long, so it's not that bad. But the later ones are huge and often have a lot of backtracking, so they're very hard! It's one hell of a ride!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Duke Nukem anyone?
Sorry man, I forgot to reply to your comment. Yeah DN was awesome. It was up there with Doom.

There was quite a bit of gore in Duke Nukem, it was cool. Also, you could do a lot of things, like drink from fountains, take a piss in a toilet, see yourself in the mirror. Pretty rad for the time!

I remember when we were playing at 12, we'd keep going to the strip club and give money to the ladies. They'd show us their boobs, which were very... low resolution, as you'd expect. LOL

OakFieldAlienz444

Sorry man, I forgot to reply to your comment. Yeah DN was awesome. It was up there with Doom.

There was quite a bit of gore in Duke Nukem, it was cool. Also, you could do a lot of things, like drink from fountains, take a piss in a toilet, see yourself in the mirror. Pretty rad for the time!

I remember when we were playing at 12, we'd keep going to the strip club and give money to the ladies. They'd show us their boobs, which were very... low resolution, as you'd expect. LOL

I have a remastered version for Steam which is basically the same original game but with
lots of new levels and optional new dialogue. I think the best part of Duke Nukem is
hearing him talk. "Hail to the King, baby" when he blows up crates and evil pig aliens. I actually like it when the main character starts talking while you play, even Bubsy the Bobcat's lines were kinda funny until they made the PS1 Bubsy 3D where
he became too obnoxious. But the original SNES thing was like at the start
of every level and one level Bubsy goes "Hey, I think I saw Elvis back there" and
in the final stage he goes "WOAH How long have you been playing this thing?" But Gex the Gecko, Conker the Squirrel, and the Crash Bandicoot games all those ones did a good job with the characters talking while you play, adds humor
to the gameplay nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: