My first experience at Doom mapping

Wind7

Staff
I went and did it.

Xbox right here...right now.....Downloaded the Original 1993 DOOM.

Been playing it for about 3 hours now.....:fp:

I remember that it was this game and then DOOM 2.

I suck at it...BTW. LOL

Num7

Administrator
Staff
How does it feel playing Doom with a controller? Is it easy to strafe move?

I've always played FPS games with keyboard and mouse, I'm a WASD guy. The most recent console I own is a Nintendo 64 lol.

Wind7

Staff
I just installed DOOM into my laptop, it already had XBox within.

I will have to get a game controller next.
I'm using the 'W...A...S...D....and Spacer keys at the moment.

I'm not a big 'Gamer' but For DOOM...I make the exception.
Bye Bye Stress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Astra_Jingga

I know this is an almost a year old blog, but when I read it now I couldn't help but wanting to say; boy I'm glad I'm here and read it :)

Classic Doom is just my game, if you know what I mean. I played Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT, and also Plutonia Experiment (and I've also tried Sigil and Doom 64, too)

I've been playing Doom since I was in high school (the year was 1994-ish) on my 486 pc and last time I played Doom was last year (using Zandronum source port, since GZDoom just won't run in my old pc).

I've never tried to make level mods for classic Doom (I only made mods for The Elder Scrolls 3 for personal use and never got them published), but I was so crazy about playing Doom mods, especially the ones that incorporated long levels (MegaWads) and total conversions for both the enemies and weapons, such as Requiem, Hell on Earth Starter Pack for Brutal Doom/Project Brutality and Back to Saturn E1 & 2 (those all are my favourite mods).

It's just too bad I'm without pc or laptop at the moment, otherwise I'd very love to try your map(s).

Thank you for the nice post

Salam,
Astra

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Hey, I'm glad you liked this. I had a great time creating the map. You're not missing much by not trying it, though. It's not anything special.

Doom has something special though, that most other games don't have. My nostalgia glasses tell me the closest to it has to be Duke Nukem 3D, but Doom still has a couple of things Duke Nukem 3D doesn't. It's hard to explain. It has to be mostly nostalgia. I played the crap out of Doom. I still play it sometimes, about once a year or so. It feels amazing, like no other.

Sigil was a blast to the past, an amazing gift from Romero. He said he'd release Sigil 2, as a sequel to the main Doom 2 story. John Romero is making Sigil 2, but he's using Doom 2 this time

I've played most of the other wads you mentioned, they're great too. Especially Brutal Doom, which I always play with. There are tons of good wads nowadays that make the game almost infinite. Pretty cool when you think about it. Not all games have such long-lasting support and contributions from their community.

When you look at Doom and compare it to today's standards, it's such a primitive game. Back in the day, it was the goriest, scariest shit ever. Blowing up demons to a pulp (literally, they'd turn liquid!) Venturing through dark pathways. The music, the sound effects. You'd hear the demons grunt and move around. It was the most badass game ever! It still is! Still pretty gory with Brutal Doom! ;)

Astra_Jingga

Hey, I'm glad you liked this. I had a great time creating the map. You're not missing much by not trying it, though. It's not anything special.

Doom has something special though, that most other games don't have. My nostalgia glasses tell me the closest to it has to be Duke Nukem 3D, but Doom still has a couple of things Duke Nukem 3D doesn't. It's hard to explain. It has to be mostly nostalgia. I played the crap out of Doom. I still play it sometimes, about once a year or so. It feels amazing, like no other.

Sigil was a blast to the past, an amazing gift from Romero. He said he'd release Sigil 2, as a sequel to the main Doom 2 story. John Romero is making Sigil 2, but he's using Doom 2 this time

I've played most of the other wads you mentioned, they're great too. Especially Brutal Doom, which I always play with. There are tons of good wads nowadays that make the game almost infinite. Pretty cool when you think about it. Not all games have such long-lasting support and contributions from their community.

When you look at Doom and compare it to today's standards, it's such a primitive game. Back in the day, it was the goriest, scariest shit ever. Blowing up demons to a pulp (literally, they'd turn liquid!) Venturing through dark pathways. The music, the sound effects. You'd hear the demons grunt and move around. It was the most badass game ever! It still is! Still pretty gory with Brutal Doom! ;)

Ah please don't say that; your map looks good to me :)

As a person who did some map mods myself, I know that creating even a simple map sometimes could take unimaginable efforts.

Once I created the interior areas of a small house for my TES III game, and it took me almost a whole day to put all the stuff like the statics and pickables together alone in there-we have way too many clutters in TES III by the way, and it wasn't even my first time of using TES Construction Set, of which-by itself, is an easy-to-use tool for making TES III mods.

It took me almost a week for doing the interior areas of a larger house. But I did enjoy it.

With such experience in my back, I think I came to understand what you mean by making map(s) for a game is a form of art, and I'm the type of a person who believes that every form of art created through efforts deserves appreciation.

I played Duke Nukem 3D too, but sadly, it wasn't as extensive as classic Doom. I played it on my friend's pc.

Classic Doom-to be honest, was my very first FPS game, of which I've invested many hours of playing it. So I guess, for the sake of my own comfort (and also to some extent; to my bad), I tend to always looked for games with classic Doom vibe, if you know what I mean.

Well I guess I found none so far. Even when I played Doom 3, I didn't feel like I was playing a Doom game, but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I can say the same with Quake and HALO.

I heard about Sigil 2, I hope they'll just put crazy secret levels in there like in Doom II. You know, like putting tons of Spider Demons and Cyber Demons all together in a single place. Just...don't put tens of Arch-vile in a maze map again please, hahah.

No, not all games would have long lasting community support like Doom as far as I can tell. Especially with crazy total conversion mods such Total Chaos (sadly it's not for my old pc back then, for sure).

Based on my limited personal knowledge, it's Doom and TES III by far.

Of course! Time change, and things changed too. Brutal Doom is a must for me although I didn't mind to play vanilla Doom for once in a while, for the nostalgia sake. You still can beat an imp to a pulp even in vanilla mode after all 😁

Come to think of it now however, I couldn't help but to think that Brutal Doom is also one of the key elements for the younger generations to still playing this cult classic.

Last edited:

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I agree, level-design takes a lot of time. It's even worse when you're new to it, and discover new things as you go along. You end up improvising and you keep going back to what you've already done, to redo it better and better. It gets even worse if you're a perfectionist.

That back and forth can bring your performance to a halt in no time. I speak from experience. In most of the creative things I do, I find myself repeatedly going back and forth over what's already done. Writing, composing/arranging music, websites, etc. It's a curse. I gotta be careful. I can spend an hour looking at fonts for my blog. What a waste of energy.

I try to be aware at all times that nothing is truly ever done. Everything is in an "okay" state, in which you choose to release it. Could it be better? Sure. Is it good enough? Probably!

Keep in mind the Pareto principle. 20% effort for 80% result. That other 20% that's missing from 80 to 100 will require you 80% more work. It's usually not worth it unless you're a world-class artist, athlete, or performer.

But we strive to get better and better, so it never really ends, right?